Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Absolutely incredible, the best gig I have ever been to - just awesome. Their music has been the soundtrack to my life for so long I was ready to be disappointed...I still can't believe how good they were....
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

It was amazing! I was looking forward to it so much, was right at the front and they didn't disappoint. Friend drove the journey from Abu Dhabi too so I had a few drinks. I just wish I was doing it all again tonight!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Outstanding but different! Post observations of gig - gates opened at 5pm when I arrived at 7.30 the place was still empty??!! People were handing out free perfume samples at a Stone Roses gig??!! The severe lack of adidas tracksuit tops and hats. My favourite .....everybody was extremely well behaved - the most riotous part of the gig being the crowd of 40 somethings trying to relive their youth by furiously jumping up and down.
Had a totally stupendous night was in the second row from the front of stage and although the band look completely ravaged with the excesses of their younger years and Ian Brown still can't hit many correct notes - the sheer brilliance of their music and Brown's performance of I am the Resurrection made it for me.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

outstanding gig but dubai crowds dont deserve a band like that!!! In manchester and T in the Park last year, the whole place was singing along.

I did the madpad thing at the back (well worth it) and there was a whole family (5 year olds, mother, father, grandparents sitting there thinking wtf is this all about!!!). they just kept looking at each other blankly!

Had my friend with me and she was working on an EK flight that morning. One of the crew was telling people that he was off to see the rolling stones that night! His friend got him a ticket and he couldn't wait to see jagger etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:30 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Hhmm, well after having spoken to friends that were there, seen the posts on here and the YouTube videos I think we got extremely lucky.

I had the impression that most of the crowd knew the lyrics and spent two hours dancing along. Seems we were just lucky enough to be surrounded by a group of 30 or so who love the stone roses and had a blast. Sheer luck as listening to people and seeing footage it seems that most spent their time standing still and being somewhat confused as to the lack of mick jagger. Oh well **** em, I had an absolute scream.

The best feedback I heard and I shit you not is "they weren't very good, we didn't understand it and should've gone to deep purple instead" yes love you probably bloody should've.

Oh well typical Dubai wankers

This however was stunning

Last edited by shiva; Feb 23rd 2013 at 4:35 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shiva
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ear infection so completely deaf in one ear at the mo so didn't enjoy it as much as I should have done, but I still thought it was a cracking gig. Not exactly the same as seeing them in the UK but still one of the best gigs I've been to here. Wasn't too keen on Ians velour trackie jacket mind.

Getting home was a palava but kinda got used to that here.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Top 3 (in no particular order)

ok one more

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Top 3 - She Bangs the Drums
Where Angels Play
Shoot You Down

But have much love for pretty much all of their songs!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Franklin1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Hhmm, well after having spoken to friends that were there, seen the posts on here and the YouTube videos I think we got extremely lucky.

I had the impression that most of the crowd knew the lyrics and spent two hours dancing along. Seems we were just lucky enough to be surrounded by a group of 30 or so who love the stone roses and had a blast. Sheer luck as listening to people and seeing footage it seems that most spent their time standing still and being somewhat confused as to the lack of mick jagger. Oh well **** em, I had an absolute scream.

The best feedback I heard and I shit you not is "they weren't very good, we didn't understand it and should've gone to deep purple instead" yes love you probably bloody should've.

This however was stunning

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yf1D7URaqjs
spot on.

actually maybe im being a bit harsh on the crowd. at the madpad bit it was good and plenty singing but not exactly bouncing. looking through youtube it seems to be pretty lively at the front:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzd89PT_bY

Last edited by StublueKPL; Feb 23rd 2013 at 8:56 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Imack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really niceImack1811 is just really nice

Awesome vid, thanks for uploading!

Remember reading an interview with Dave Grohl, after he had just appeared on TFI Friday with The Seahorses, it was the first time he had seen Squire play and he was blown away, said it was like watching a young Jimmy Page......he wasn't wrong
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 3:57 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, for those who were not there, these youtube clips have shit audio but trust me, the music was ****ing ace. I spent all day in bed yesterday with a honking hangover but it was worth it!!
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Leader is an unknown quantity at this point

Great concert but not surprised by some of the negative comments. The only people who will have truly enjoyed it will be those who grew up listening to them. Anyone who went hoping to see a band set the world on fire would have been disappointed. In fact, there seemed to be lots of people leaving very early. We were on the edge of the crowd, plenty of room to sink a few pints, dance like a loon and have a great time. BTW, table tennis at a ****** concert??
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought it was an awesome gig. Ian Brown wasnt the best singer but then again he never has been. Seen him a few years ago at Rockness and i was really really let down by how bad he was and he just didnt seem to give a fook. This time round though he was half decent and the band and general sound quality was fantasic

Few rumours going round the the monkey boy had to be helped on stage by security he was that trashed though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.