Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Old Oct 18th 2012, 5:23 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Doha
Posts: 320
MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Still looking for a ****** BBQ

GAS BBQ's I hate them!!!!!!!

Had to use the fire pit last night to cook the chicken. Bloody good it was too!

Cannot believe that in a city surrounded by desert that you cannot get a decent BBQ. Must be all those namby pambies that come from Dubai not wanting to get there hands dirty

Even went to Carrefour last night in the vain hope of finding something and it is all shit that they stock.

The only glimmer of hope is that one of the shops on Lagoona will be getting some stock in, but after Eid, of Rosle BBQ's. Good quality but expensive, but looks like my only option unless some kind soul is going to the UAE wants to bring me back a Weber
MaserMan is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 7:44 am
  #2  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,704
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Oh no, how utterly awful for you.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier posting about such appalling disasters on EW?
Meow is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 7:49 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
flares's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,968
flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Oh no, how utterly awful for you.

Are you sure you wouldn't be happier posting about such appalling disasters on EW?
troll
flares is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:24 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,536
mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by MaserMan View Post
GAS BBQ's I hate them!!!!!!!

Had to use the fire pit last night to cook the chicken. Bloody good it was too!

Cannot believe that in a city surrounded by desert that you cannot get a decent BBQ. Must be all those namby pambies that come from Dubai not wanting to get there hands dirty

Even went to Carrefour last night in the vain hope of finding something and it is all shit that they stock.

The only glimmer of hope is that one of the shops on Lagoona will be getting some stock in, but after Eid, of Rosle BBQ's. Good quality but expensive, but looks like my only option unless some kind soul is going to the UAE wants to bring me back a Weber
Stop being such a snob/ponce. It makes you look ridiculous. If you cannot find something suitable in Ace Hardware or Dubai Garden Centre then you are way too fussy for this place.
mentalist is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:34 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,800
Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Stop being such a snob/ponce. It makes you look ridiculous. If you cannot find something suitable in Ace Hardware or Dubai Garden Centre then you are way too fussy for this place.
I don't recall seeing either of those stores in Doha, but it was a quick visit. Maybe you could post a map for him...?
Brains1983 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:38 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Alexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,675
Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

If it is so very important to you to have a particular BBQ grill, then why don't you
A. order one on line
B. fly to Dubai buy it there and bring it back

Oh, and IF you get what you are looking for, make sure you do not leave it outside for a prolonged period of time, otherwise it will rot away in about a year.

Last edited by Alexa; Oct 18th 2012 at 9:41 am.
Alexa is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:53 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Doha
Posts: 320
MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
Stop being such a snob/ponce. It makes you look ridiculous. If you cannot find something suitable in Ace Hardware or Dubai Garden Centre then you are way too fussy for this place.
I am neither a snob or a ponce, rather somebody who knows what they want. Didn't realise that having standards and knowing what I require put me in that category.
MaserMan is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:06 am
  #8  
Shark Fisherman
 
britexpat76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 4,567
britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by MaserMan View Post
GAS BBQ's I hate them!!!!!!!

Had to use the fire pit last night to cook the chicken. Bloody good it was too!

Cannot believe that in a city surrounded by desert that you cannot get a decent BBQ. Must be all those namby pambies that come from Dubai not wanting to get there hands dirty

Even went to Carrefour last night in the vain hope of finding something and it is all shit that they stock.

The only glimmer of hope is that one of the shops on Lagoona will be getting some stock in, but after Eid, of Rosle BBQ's. Good quality but expensive, but looks like my only option unless some kind soul is going to the UAE wants to bring me back a Weber
Carrefour did do a half reasonable one 6 months ago. 2 Side tables and a front one think it cost 400/500 chips. It isn't brilliant but better than nothing.
britexpat76 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 10:08 am
  #9  
Knee deep and rising
 
weasel decentral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,799
weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by MaserMan View Post
I am neither a snob or a ponce, rather somebody who knows what they want. Didn't realise that having standards and knowing what I require put me in that category.
If you have high standards and know that you want to manage a team of expensive prostitutes, that would indeed make you a ponce and possibly a snob towards lower quality offerings.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Oct 18th 2012 at 10:19 am.
weasel decentral is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 11:22 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Doha
Posts: 320
MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
If you have high standards and know that you want to manage a team of expensive prostitutes, that would indeed make you a ponce and possibly a snob towards lower quality offerings. http://i.imgur.com/MG0Il.gif
Would that not be an expensive pimp?
MaserMan is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 11:25 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Doha
Posts: 320
MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
Carrefour did do a half reasonable one 6 months ago. 2 Side tables and a front one think it cost 400/500 chips. It isn't brilliant but better than nothing.
Problem with the Carrefour ones is that that none do proper airflow control. Some have holes in the bottom but that is more for removing the ash afterwards.

Important when you use it as an oven as well.

Might be sounding pouncy by saying that
MaserMan is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:42 pm
  #12  
Shark Fisherman
 
britexpat76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 4,567
britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by MaserMan View Post
Problem with the Carrefour ones is that that none do proper airflow control. Some have holes in the bottom but that is more for removing the ash afterwards.

Important when you use it as an oven as well.

Might be sounding pouncy by saying that
You don't want a normal BBQ is what you are saying, meaning the Thread topic is wrong. It should read :-

Still Cant find a Poncey BBQ I could buy at home but have no chance of finding in this place.

Go to Carrefour spend the 500 and sling some steaks on, its the weekend after all.
britexpat76 is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:05 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Alexa's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 2,675
Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Why don't you build one yourself?
One of these brick thingies.
Alexa is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:52 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Doha
Posts: 320
MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
You don't want a normal BBQ is what you are saying, meaning the Thread topic is wrong. It should read :-

Still Cant find a Poncey BBQ I could buy at home but have no chance of finding in this place.

Go to Carrefour spend the 500 and sling some steaks on, its the weekend after all.
Like it. But would be wasting my money at Carrefour
MaserMan is offline  
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:53 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Doha
Posts: 320
MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Still looking for a ****** BBQ

Originally Posted by Alexa View Post
Why don't you build one yourself?
One of these brick thingies.
You have not seen my bricklaying skills!
MaserMan is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.