British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Steakhouses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/steakhouses-714792/)

Spugsy Apr 27th 2011 8:10 am

Steakhouses

I love a good steak and chips me, and over here you are spoilt for choice.

My usual us the grand grill at Habtoor Grand, great staff, great steaks and lovely pints of cold Peroni, brilliant.

Anyway on MMs recommendation me and mrs spugsy are off to MJs tonight at Al Casa, heard brilliant things about it.

Anyone got other good steak places?

NorthernLad Apr 27th 2011 8:19 am

Re: Steakhouses

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9328945)

My usual us the grand grill at Habtoor Grand, great staff, great steaks and lovely pints of cold Peroni, brilliant.

Anyway on MMs recommendation me and mrs spugsy are off to MJs tonight at Al Casa, heard brilliant things about it.

JW Marriott is generally decent, but Grand Grill still my favourite.

Millhouse Apr 27th 2011 8:21 am

GBK. Why eat steak when you can have a burger.

Spugsy Apr 27th 2011 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9328958)
GBK. Why eat steak when you can have a burger.

Sheer madness.

co durham boy Apr 27th 2011 9:18 am

The one i like is The Exchange Grill at the Fairmont http://www.fairmont.com/dubai/GuestS...hangeGrill.htm

The problem is it's overpriced for a steak and chips but for a nice occasion it's really good , haven't been for around a year though so it might have changed. Also Ruths Chris steak house at the Monarch was good and they do the odd deal there , everythings cooked in butter so make sure your hungry
http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/111126/Dubai

Madam Medusa Apr 27th 2011 9:39 am

tell ashleigh the manager that i sent you...enjoy, i was there on monday with visitors and it was as fab as usual...

MM, xx

Patsy Stoned Apr 27th 2011 9:40 am

I totally agree with MM ..Mj's is def the best I have been to. Their choice of vegetables and sauces are fab.
The Chateaubriand is wonderful and although it is for 2 people we have often shared it between 3 and taken some home :-) I hope you enjoy the night sweetie.

Patsy Stoned Apr 27th 2011 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9329098)
tell ashleigh the manager that i sent you...enjoy, i was there on monday with visitors and it was as fab as usual...

MM, xx

or even Ashley :-)) xxx

Madam Medusa Apr 27th 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9329051)
The one i like is The Exchange Grill at the Fairmont http://www.fairmont.com/dubai/GuestS...hangeGrill.htm

The problem is it's overpriced for a steak and chips but for a nice occasion it's really good , haven't been for around a year though so it might have changed. Also Ruths Chris steak house at the Monarch was good and they do the odd deal there , everythings cooked in butter so make sure your hungry
http://www.ruthschris.com/Steak-House/111126/Dubai

i just don't get why ruth chris gets such good reviews...they don't know how to cook steak properly, i think the butter thing is horrid and it's impossible to have a blue steak when they serve it on the hotter than hot plates...it's also massively expensive for what it is...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9329104)

:p

Madam Medusa Apr 27th 2011 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9329104)

oh yeah, he's a boy not a girl...

MM, xx

Spugsy Apr 27th 2011 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9329098)

MM, xx

Yeah can't wait, mrs spugsy is going away tomorrow to the UK and New york for 10 days so we're having a nice meal out.

Saying out she's dreading it as last time she went away I ended up getting arrested.

Patsy Stoned Apr 27th 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9329111)
oh yeah, he's a boy not a girl...

MM, xx

:D

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9329115)
Yeah can't wait, mrs spugsy is going away tomorrow to the UK and New york for 10 days so we're having a nice meal out.

Saying out she's dreading it as last time she went away I ended up getting arrested.

don't worry I found your spare key again this morning :)

littlejimmy Apr 27th 2011 10:25 am

Oh I love steak threads nearly as much as I love steak.

Meow Apr 27th 2011 10:27 am

I'd vote for both MJ's and Ruth's Chris. Very different, but like them both.

Tillybean Apr 27th 2011 10:27 am

MJ's is good and I have always had a nice steak at the Rib Room at Emirates Towers (and the Rib Room have a special coeliac menu so it gets extra points from me for that).

In Abu Dhabi, you cannot beat Le Beaujolais at the Novotel - great steak and chips and fab prices. For a splurge, Rodeo Grill is excellent but eye wateringly expensive.

Patsy Stoned Apr 27th 2011 10:59 am

The Rib Room went down hill after a succession of chefs coming and going. It has just reopened after a refurbishment and they have a new head chef , Anna used to be the head chef at MJ's so it is going to be back on form :-)
The Agency has also moved to what used to be the ribroom bar next door.

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2011 11:26 am

I had a great steak at the Dhow and Anchor a few weeks back, couldn't complain :thumbup:

Millhouse Apr 27th 2011 11:28 am

Is this some kind of chef name dropping contest?

If you go to the Butcher's Grill in JBR and tell the head cook, Antonetta, that I sent you I can guarantee you a portion of cold chips and a wrong order. She always ensures the same for me.

lionheart Apr 27th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9329277)
I had a great steak at the Dhow and Anchor a few weeks back, couldn't complain :thumbup:

Where is that then? Incidentally, how much do you guys pay for a steak meal without beverages?

ctfc Apr 27th 2011 11:58 am

In AD would agree with Rodeo grill, excellent meat. Frankie's / MPW @ fairmont also very good. For somewhere a little less expensive the steak place in One-to-One hotel is pretty reliable too.

In Dubai, Asado @ Palace Old Town hasn't had a mention and is excellent. Palermo at AR Polo Club does a steak night Monday and Tuesday AED 119 including a glass of wine, good Argentine steak.

[I'm not a vegetarian...]

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9329348)
Where is that then? Incidentally, how much do you guys pay for a steak meal without beverages?

it's in the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, not sure how much the total bill was but the steak was either 145 or 185

co durham boy Apr 27th 2011 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9329348)

Too much , i think it's robbery in all of them , some of them are charging AED 250 just for a slab of beef and up to AED700 for Wagyu Beef.

You could get real Beef curtains for that money...

lionheart Apr 27th 2011 12:03 pm

I believe there is a nice Argentinian steak restaurant at the Palace Hotel overlooking Burj Khalifa. Has anyone been?

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2011 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9329363)
I believe there is a nice Argentinian steak restaurant at the Palace Hotel overlooking Burj Khalifa. Has anyone been?

my husband went, he said it was absolutely superb :)

co durham boy Apr 27th 2011 12:09 pm

Rare @ The Desert Palm Hotel that's very good as well , i think it bagged best steahouse in Dubai last year , lovely hotel as well , just a pity about it's location.

Madam Medusa Apr 27th 2011 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9329363)

Yep, it's ok, service patchy though...

MM, xx

Madam Medusa Apr 27th 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9329380)
Rare @ The Desert Palm Hotel that's very good as well , i think it bagged best steahouse in Dubai last year , lovely hotel as well , just a pity about it's location.

Have read great reviews about it, but don't know anyone who has actually been there...will have to try it...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2011 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9329504)
Have read great reviews about it, but don't know anyone who has actually been there...will have to try it...

MM, xx

I am sure Spugsy has been ?

Millhouse Apr 27th 2011 1:20 pm

MM, xx

Yeh, it's nice. The Head Chef is called Diane - she does a lovely pan juice sauce. :rofl:

MacScot Apr 27th 2011 2:07 pm

Yep..been to the grill at Habtoor Grand, though mainly South African meats...still good though

Try...

1. South American steaks - Argentinian restaurant at the palace Hotel Downtown Dubai.

2. South American steaks and barbeque kid etc. - Pachanga restaurant at the Hilton Jumeirah Beach (JBR)..if you go Wednesdays. you and Mrs. Spugsy can get a free tango lesson. :)

littlejimmy Apr 27th 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9329522)
Yeh, it's nice. The Head Chef is called Diane - she does a lovely pan juice sauce. :rofl:

Stop. I can't give you any more K.

Millhouse Apr 27th 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9329776)
Stop. I can't give you any more K.

The jokes that can be had on this thread are almost as good as the human cannonball one.

littlejimmy Apr 27th 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9329817)
The jokes that can be had on this thread are almost as good as the human cannonball one.

Well, if there's a gap in the market, you just have to....Fillet.

MacScot Apr 27th 2011 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9329849)
Well, if there's a gap in the market, you just have to....Fillet.

Isn't this thread deteriorating into a load of bullocks?

The beef puns on here are pretty offal. However, I must admit some are rare while others have been well done.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 27th 2011 6:45 pm

has anyone suggested the meat co. yet?

had the best steak of my life in there.

Spugsy Apr 27th 2011 7:19 pm

MM, xx

yeah really nice, dead chilled sitting outside under the stars - food was great.

Food tonight was class, loved picking one of the 20 steak knives, not cheap mind, AED 1k for both of us, 6 oysters to share, okish bottle of wine and a steak each. I like to try other places so wouldn't goback, but would recommend it.

Decor was shocking though, was like a bar from teh film Cocktail.

Spugsy Apr 27th 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9330232)
yeah really nice, dead chilled sitting outside under the stars - food was great.

Food tonight was class, loved picking one of the 20 steak knives, not cheap mind, AED 1k for both of us, 6 oysters to share, okish bottle of wine and a steak each. I like to try other places so wouldn't goback, but would recommend it.

Also the biggest steak they do is 300gm, and I prefer bigger than that.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 27th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9330232)

Great film.

Still yet to find out who puts the newspaper in cocktail umbrellas