Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

State Of The Forum Address

State Of The Forum Address

Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:17 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default State Of The Forum Address

I’ve used this site for 5 years now – longer than pretty much any other site I frequent. In the Middle East section I’m pretty much the “oldest” poster around these days, maybe Shiva, Jammy and a few others have been on longer...

The information and help from posters really helped and informed my move to Dubai 5 years ago and I’ve always thought BE was fantastic for the info and the banter. The speed of responses about obscure laws and events always meant this forum was the first port of call. Even now with the rise of facebook and twitter, this forum still has the ability to be the most relevant source of info on the UAE and most of the Middle East.

There’s been periods where the forum goes through weird patches where there are less posts or people get a bit bitchy. Perhaps it’s got its roots in people feeling unsure about their personal circumstances with the economic situation, I don’t know. What I do know is that the tone has taken a turn for the worse. Far more senseless personal attacks, more aggressive posts, less tolerance more racial and religious intolerance and so on.

As a user, not a mod, I would just like to suggest a small thing – treat people as you wish to be treated, maybe have a little think before launching yet another attack for little reason. Just because it’s on the ‘net doesn’t mean you need to act like a tosser. Discussion and disagreements are par for the course, but this whole direct attack is so detrimental to the forum. New users seem to come and get disillusioned by the bitchiness so quickly and a lack of new views and posters creates a stagnant forum.

I know it’s British Expats, but surely tolerance and even acceptance of others is part of what Britain was (once) known for and we should reflect this. It’s depressing that users are hounded away because they feel they are not welcome just having a different view / background.

So, we can all carry on with the backbiting and bitchiness and we can sit back and let this forum grow more and more stagnant or we can try to relax a little, engage in reasonable debate rather than attack and hopefully welcome more views to the site. I know which I’d prefer.

Anyway, just my 2 fils worth.

And if you all want to gather for a cyberhug – now would be an appropriate time…

Auto
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Of The Forum Address

ohhh **** off

i know thats directed at me, so point duly noted.

i too have been on here for around 4 years. Lately though it has been swamped with retards asking the same repetitive stuff.

and the influx since 7/7 of all the uber british, (britsh hating) muslims sets a serious undertone also
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:25 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...
Lately there seems to be a lot of agression in peoples posts that wasn't there before..and the 'normal pisstaking' seems to have stepped up a pace to an extend where I am not sure it's funny anymore, even for the more established posters, to read...
I am the first one to admit I am not mrs Nice and Sweet all the time, before anyone steps forward, but recently there has been another atmosphere on BE and I can fully understand why people don't want to post on here at the moment...

I don't do cyberhugs though...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, fair doo's, Ill try turning the other cheek an' a'....

Last edited by TGFKASE; Mar 19th 2009 at 10:34 am.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:39 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...

...too many newbies lurk in the background - frightened to join in

..we should make the effort to make them feel welcome

PS In light of what you have said can Beard Man come back to play (within the rules though) ?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

Well i would like to post on BE more as it was a great help to us too but it can be scary wondering what response you're going to get. I have a friend who moved out here 6 months ago and she found the forum a great help too but never posted because of the response she seen other people getting. I'm not saying it should be all nicey nice all the time but when people ask for help sometimes it's better not to say anything if you can't say anything nice
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:46 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes
Well i would like to post on BE more as it was a great help to us too but it can be scary wondering what response you're going to get. I have a friend who moved out here 6 months ago and she found the forum a great help too but never posted because of the response she seen other people getting. I'm not saying it should be all nicey nice all the time but when people ask for help sometimes it's better not to say anything if you can't say anything nice
your correct. point taken
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:55 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Hear hear!

... and I'm up for a group hug!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:00 am
banned

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Hear hear!

... and I'm up for a group hug!
how about a gangbang??
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:05 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
how about a gangbang??
no.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:05 am
banned

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
no.
where's the love..
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by commander
and the influx since 7/7 of all the uber british, (britsh hating) muslims sets a serious undertone also
Not sure if this comment is addressed at someone like me, but I'll bite anyway.

Why would a British Muslim posting on British Exapts cause a "serious undertone"? Any more so than a British atheist or a British dog-catcher would? I am happy to be British and happy to be a Muslim... how does that make me 'uber' either?

Generalisations are almost always unfair...

Anyway.

PS: 7/7 is completely irrelevant to my decision of choosing a place to live in. London specifically and England generally is still one of the best countries in the world to live in as a Muslim (or as a follower of any other religion or none), regardless of the terrible crimes/atrocities of a few f***wits on 7/7. Those actions though have almost as much to do with me as the Couny Antrim terrorists last week have with any Irishmen living in Dubai....
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:19 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

This place was a real help to me when I moved to Dubai in 2006. And I continue to look in now and again to have my taste in music ridiculed.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:21 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes
You should definately be on more dude.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shehryar
Not sure if this comment is addressed at someone like me, but I'll bite anyway.

Why would a British Muslim posting on British Exapts cause a "serious undertone"? Any more so than a British atheist or a British dog-catcher would? I am happy to be British and happy to be a Muslim... how does that make me 'uber' either?

Generalisations are almost always unfair...

Anyway.

PS: 7/7 is completely irrelevant to my decision of choosing a place to live in. London specifically and England generally is still one of the best countries in the world to live in as a Muslim (or as a follower of any other religion or none), regardless of the terrible crimes/atrocities of a few f***wits on 7/7. Those actions though have almost as much to do with me as the Couny Antrim terrorists last week have with any Irishmen living in Dubai....
Co Durham in not Irish, sorry to be pedantic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.