British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is this the start ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/start-507874/)

Paidtoplease Jan 21st 2008 11:39 am

Is this the start ???

Long awaited

http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sa.../10183676.html

shakh your bootie Jan 21st 2008 11:41 am

Re: Is this the start ???

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5818392)

Welcome news, indeed. The world gets another little breath of liberation.

Rumble Tumble Jan 21st 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5818395)

PMSL ~ well lets hope that they lift the veil too so they can see where they are driving. Jeez i dread to think! I remember being in Saudi and seeing a beduoin woman driving out of the desert in a beaten up old truck straight into a garage, which was right at the edge of the desert, so no road driving required lol. However she had a veil on god only knows how the hell she could see.

Still a step in the right direction eh?

RT x

shakh your bootie Jan 21st 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble (Post 5818489)
PMSL ~ well lets hope that they lift the veil too so they can see where they are driving. Jeez i dread to think! I remember being in Saudi and seeing a beduoin woman driving out of the desert in a beaten up old truck straight into a garage, which was right at the edge of the desert, so no road driving required lol. However she had a veil on god only knows how the hell she could see.

Still a step in the right direction eh?

RT x

Lady drivers in SA - the veiled threat.

Rumble Tumble Jan 21st 2008 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5818667)
Lady drivers in SA - the veiled threat.

Well lets wait and see, in fact i would like to be there on the first day of it happening there are few spot i'd like to sit watch, pending on if they change their minds or not. They have been discussing this for the last 5 years :)

There would prob be so many accident because of the men gawking at the women driving lol!

nottmbantam Jan 21st 2008 2:04 pm

Actually, my other half was kind of looking forward to not being able to drive. She doesn't enjoy driving at the best of times, and loves being chaffeured around, if we go anywhere in her car, I always end up driving anyway.

Tho judging by the sounds of the Riyadh traffic, it might not be a good thing to let her loose on the roads - she'd be a nervous wreck.

The Dean Jan 21st 2008 2:07 pm

Strange that no local paper here reported it, TV stations all day have been denying it, and The King himself has said it will only be 'considered' when it is felt that 'society will accept it'...........

Could be it's on a meeting agenda for some time in the future and someone has leaked it. Trouble is - that makes it LESS likely to happen.

Hope I'm wrong but GN is jumping the gun here I feel...........

Rumble Tumble Jan 21st 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 5818852)
Actually, my other half was kind of looking forward to not being able to drive. She doesn't enjoy driving at the best of times, and loves being chaffeured around, if we go anywhere in her car, I always end up driving anyway.

Tho judging by the sounds of the Riyadh traffic, it might not be a good thing to let her loose on the roads - she'd be a nervous wreck.

To be honest i wouldn't consider it safe anyhow.

Rt x

Confucius Jan 21st 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5818395)

I wonder if this will have a negative effect on the price of 5Dhs Mutton Burger at Eat and Drink in Jebel Ali Free Zone...

onemorething Jan 30th 2008 8:28 pm

My DH just said that SA must be such a safe place to drive, cheeky monkey! :p