British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Stand up desk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/stand-up-desk-922252/)

Millhouse Feb 20th 2019 5:51 am

Stand up desk

I've recently got a stand up desk - total gamechanger. Two screens going up and down - looks like I'm a drone pilot bombing children and stray dogs in Syria.

In addition to really helping my back it's actually made me more productive. I love it. Hurts my feet if I stand too long though so will probably have to hand the upandrunning folks more gold coins in the future.

UKCityGent Feb 20th 2019 6:48 am

Re: Stand up desk

Do you have a pic of it ?

Something ive considered but thought it would be an arse standing all day

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 20th 2019 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12639975)
I've recently got a stand up desk - total gamechanger. Two screens going up and down - looks like I'm a drone pilot bombing children and stray dogs in Syria.

In addition to really helping my back it's actually made me more productive. I love it. Hurts my feet if I stand too long though so will probably have to hand the upandrunning folks more gold coins in the future.

I'm so jealous.

However, do you feel like a twat doing it? Do people walk past and think, what's that helmet doing?

Millhouse Feb 20th 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12639992)
Do you have a pic of it ?

Something ive considered but thought it would be an arse standing all day

It goes up and down. I do an hour on / hour off. Although I'm actually at 2 hours right now.

I can't really take a pic as I am surprisingly professional and that would breach our info policies. I'll find a picture of it online.

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12639998)
I'm so jealous.

However, do you feel like a twat doing it? Do people walk past and think, what's that helmet doing?

There was a lot of jealously and interest with a few snipy comments at first - then people tried to order them for themselves only to discover that I use a different budget code to everyone else and I have funds for this sort of shit and they don't. f'ck 'em.

Millhouse Feb 20th 2019 7:07 am

Here is the promotional video of my model. I don't have those funny poles the monitors are on - they are extra.

It was 1700dh for the up/down platform.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 20th 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12640001)
There was a lot of jealously and interest with a few snipy comments at first - then people tried to order them for themselves only to discover that I use a different budget code to everyone else and I have funds for this sort of shit and they don't. f'ck 'em.

I really want one now. Wanted one for ages but worry that I'm enough of a twat as it is, don't need help.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12640002)
Here is the promotional video of my model. I don't have those funny poles the monitors are on - they are extra.

It was 1700dh for the up/down platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4n5CJZMvc

Is it too high when you're sat down?

Millhouse Feb 20th 2019 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12640005)
I’m

Is it too high when you're sat down?

Not at all. The keyboard is raised by about one inch when down.

Millhouse Feb 20th 2019 7:37 am

Only issue potentially is when people walk up to talk to you they are eye to eye with the screen and they can’t help reading. The good news is that you’re also square on to them and can address them before they reach you.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 20th 2019 7:54 am

The 'Windows Key + L' is a good idea to keep prying eyes away, its instantaneous and doesnt effect any work being done

jam25mack Feb 20th 2019 8:01 am

A guy in the office has a similar space age stand up desk thingy. The problem is he's about 6'5" and built like a long streak of piss so he stand out hugely in our open plan office.

I'd love to give one a trial but think I'd have issues when I have my post lunch nap.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 20th 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12640012)

Not at all. The keyboard is raised by about one inch when down.

Hmm. Interesting. I assume an adaptive stand is mighty amount cheaper than a whole adaptable desk.

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12640026)
A guy in the office has a similar space age stand up desk thingy. The problem is he's about 6'5" and built like a long streak of piss so he stand out hugely in our open plan office.

I'd love to give one a trial but think I'd have issues when I have my post lunch nap.

He's probably too tall for normal standing desks, probably awkwardly bent over?

jam25mack Feb 21st 2019 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12640057)
He's probably too tall for normal standing desks, probably awkwardly bent over?

Yeah, thats probably why he's got this thing that looks like it should be on a space shuttle. He's an Aussie environmental engineer and a bit of a new age, hug the world kinda guy.

Millhouse Feb 21st 2019 5:16 am

I do find my stand up desk makes my emails more aggressive - a bit like standing up to talk on the phone when you want to give it with both barrels.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 21st 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12640730)
Yeah, thats probably why he's got this thing that looks like it should be on a space shuttle. He's an Aussie environmental engineer and a bit of a new age, hug the world kinda guy.

Lots of them look really clunky and OTT. I'm gonna ask the IT boys if they can sort it. Be a trend setter.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12640732)
I do find my stand up desk makes my emails more aggressive - a bit like standing up to talk on the phone when you want to give it with both barrels.

Motion creates emotion.