British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   St. George's Day (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/st-georges-day-831996/)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 23rd 2014 5:43 am

St. George's Day

Happy St George's Day to you all.

TheShed Apr 23rd 2014 6:56 am

Re: St. George's Day

Roast Beef and Yorkshires for dinner.

How do the rest of you celebrate??

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 23rd 2014 7:11 am

Beef Stew (not sure it's English but sounds it)...currently bubbling away in the slow cooker.

Some London Pride or Spitfire, but that involves going to the Rivington (which I won't be doing unfortunately) or Fibbers (which seems wrong).

Definitely a cup of tea with dinner.
Definitely conversation trying to explain who St George is to the Mrs.

TheShed Apr 23rd 2014 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11230234)
Beef Stew (not sure it's English but sounds it)...currently bubbling away in the slow cooker.

Some London Pride or Spitfire, but that involves going to the Rivington (which I won't be doing unfortunately) or Fibbers (which seems wrong).

Definitely a cup of tea with dinner.
Definitely conversation trying to explain who St George is to the Mrs.

You know me Scamp, I'm strictly a Heineken fella, but on this one evening every year I go to the pub and drink something dark. Fortunately they have London Pride on draught at the Byblos Marina :-)

Why not invite a Palestinian round as they also celebrate St George in a few weeks. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27048219

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 23rd 2014 7:35 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11230251)
You know me Scamp, I'm strictly a Heineken fella, but on this one evening every year I go to the pub and drink something dark. Fortunately they have London Pride on draught at the Byblos Marina :-)

Why not invite a Palestinian round as they also celebrate St George in a few weeks. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27048219

I think I'm all out of Palestinians in my contacts book. In fact, I think I do know one and he took me for lunch. Shit, what was his name....

Anyway, yeah the Byblos charges handsomely for those pints of real man though!

Millsyisland Apr 23rd 2014 7:36 am

Happy St George's day - am currently sporting my cross of St George tie and cuff-links in celebration. May be forced to crack open a bottle of London Pride later as I have some at home, before attempting to teach the first verse of Jerusalem to the kids, who I suspect will be far more interested in Phineas and Ferb on the TV.

TheShed Apr 23rd 2014 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11230257)
I think I'm all out of Palestinians in my contacts book. In fact, I think I do know one and he took me for lunch. Shit, what was his name....

Anyway, yeah the Byblos charges handsomely for those pints of real man though!

Happy hour mate - One of the essential facts for living in Dubai.

Maybe we should start a sticky giving out the best HHs around.

Before you ask, yep a slow day at work today :-)

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 23rd 2014 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 11230259)
Happy St George's day - am currently sporting my cross of St George tie and cuff-links in celebration. May be forced to crack open a bottle of London Pride later as I have some at home, before attempting to teach the first verse of Jerusalem to the kids, who I suspect will be far more interested in Phineas and Ferb on the TV.

Awesome. I used to always go with a white shirt / red tie combo but this year I didn't have any back from the dry cleaners (jesus, just listen to me).

We used to sing Jerusalem every Tuesday at school when we had our chapel assembly. If anyone had to look at their hymn book they were severely frowned upon...

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11230262)
Happy hour mate - One of the essential facts for living in Dubai.

Maybe we should start a sticky giving out the best HHs around.

Before you ask, yep a slow day at work today :-)

Happy hour thread is a great idea.

Also, another meet up is maybe on the cards?

Meow Apr 23rd 2014 9:49 am

Here's a little topical quiz - How stereotypically English are you?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/ho...nglish-are-you

I scored a paltry 21 :o although I maintain that gravy on chips is a Northern habit not an English one.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 23rd 2014 10:24 am

You ticked off 55 out of 70 on this bloody lovely list!

The queen is dead, long live YOU. There is no one in England’s green and pleasant land as English as you. You make St. George himself look positively foreign. What’s that? St. George was actually born in Palestine? Don’t be silly. P.S. The queen isn’t really dead.

Bahtatboy Apr 23rd 2014 1:53 pm

You ticked off 41 out of 70 on this bloody lovely list!

Bloody brilliant. You’re really ruddy English and don’t you just know it?! Bowl a googly. Neck some Earl Grey. Tut at a foreigner. It’s what Churchill would have wanted!

Bahtatboy Apr 23rd 2014 1:55 pm

Its the custom in my (far eastern) company to bring gifts back from holiday. Gave my boss a Churchill crown :D

TheShed Apr 23rd 2014 2:28 pm

Difficult to cut and paste on an ipad after 3 London Prides but 50 out of 70 and you are basically the queen. :). A happy St George's day for me

Pongo Apr 23rd 2014 8:08 pm

You ticked off 19 out of 70 on this bloody lovely list!

Blimey, that’s disappointing! You’re not very English at all — in fact, you’d probably feel more at home in the Colonies. No scones for you, I’m afraid.

nonthaburi Apr 24th 2014 8:10 am

Wow, people still celebrate St.George's day.

Getting pissed up in Spain somewhere and throwing some plastic furniture through a window is in order surely.