St. George's Day

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:49 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default St. George's Day

Jerusalem

And did those feet in ancient time,
Walk upon England’s mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On England’s pleasant pastures seen!
And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold;
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold:
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England’s green and pleasant Land.

(Words by William Blake, music by C. Hubert H. Parry)

To all our English expat friends,

A HAPPY St. GEORGE'S Day on Wednesday 23rd April.

from all your Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish expat friends !
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St. George's Day

Originally Posted by MacScot
Jerusalem

sadly most Englishmen will let it pass un-noticed as usual!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:48 pm

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
No pride in yourselves as a nation, thats your problem..........

Mind you, you need something to be proud of for that................
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:49 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
course not, when have we ever celebrated it?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:55 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
course not, when have we ever celebrated it?
According to wikpedia...The celebration of St. George's Day was once a major feast in England on a par with Christmas from the early 15th century. However, this tradition had waned by the end of the 18th century.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Jerusalem

So where is the catch? I have never come across a Jock with anything nice to say about England or the English...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
No pride in yourselves as a nation, thats your problem..........

Mind you, you need something to be proud of for that................
how about subjugating the bunch of savages north of the border for 700 years? does that count?
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:28 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by lionheart
So where is the catch? I have never come across a Jock with anything nice to say about England or the English...
No catch.
Lived there for years ....Sutton Coldfield and Uttoxeter. Had the best of times.

You should get out a bit more - there are plenty of anglophile as opposed to anglophobe Jocks that like and get along with our southern neighbours, as well as the 400,000 that live in Scotland!

Of course we like to banter - see ScotsExpat and Inse's posts, for example. British sense of humour plus we can laugh at ourselves.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

No catch.
Lived there for years ....Sutton Coldfield and Uttoxeter. Had the best of times.

You should get out a bit more - there are plenty of anglophile as opposed to anglophobe Jocks that like and get along with our southern neighbours, as well as the 400,000 that live in Scotland!

Of course we like to banter - see ScotsExpat and Inse's posts, for example. British sense of humour plus we can laugh at ourselves.
Personally I have the greatest respect for the Scots.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest St Georges day over here seems to be picking up in good old blighty!

Many shops are now selling flags, bunting cards etc. & many pubs are now celebrating but its still not as big as St Patricks day over here, and I find that really annoying:curse:

It will be last St Georges day in blighty tomorrow, out for a few beers and and then an early flight for a long weekend in Espana on Thursday.

We will all toast 'ex-pats' across the world and have a good old 'English' pint.................................of Stella tomorrow!

Happy St Georges day one & all !!!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Wasnt it last year that all holy hell went off because we were told that we werent allowed to put up the flags "because people may get offended"?
Sad day when you cant fly your countries flag.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Wasnt it last year that all holy hell went off because we were told that we werent allowed to put up the flags "because people may get offended"?
Sad day when you cant fly your countries flag.
Yes indeed it was last year, ypu copuld arrested for sporting a car flag & during the last world cup people were advised not to fly the St Georges cross !:curse:
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Yes indeed it was last year, ypu copuld arrested for sporting a car flag & during the last world cup people were advised not to fly the St Georges cross !:curse:
there isnt much left to celebrate now..and even if there were we wouldnt be allowed!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure what there is to celebrate.

Don't do religion and certainly don't do celebrating a Roman soldier who lived 1700 years ago who supposedly killed a dragon.

Sorry don't believe in fairy stories.

I'd rather celebrate something else rather than outmoded legends.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benzonar
Not really sure what there is to celebrate.

Don't do religion and certainly don't do celebrating a Roman soldier who lived 1700 years ago who supposedly killed a dragon.

Sorry don't believe in fairy stories.

I'd rather celebrate something else rather than outmoded legends.
its celebrating your country thats the point,and that you are proud to be english.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.