Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sri Lanka holiday question

Sri Lanka holiday question

Old Jun 23rd 2016, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sri Lanka holiday question

Hi guys... well aware that Sri Lanka isn't in the ME, but given it's close proximity a destination well traveled to from the sandpit so I hope you can offer some advice to a first timer.

I'm getting away from Ramadan in the first week of July, plan is to hire a car and take Sri Lanka as it comes, from Colombo and then Central over to the East and North so.. quick question..

Booking accommodation in advance would mean sticking to a schedule so do you think, given the time of year, that there will be plenty/enough accommodation available that I should be able to choose where I stay on an ad hoc basis?

I would be looking at regular chain hotels or good quality guest houses.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sri Lanka holiday question

Yes.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 5:11 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Yes.
I disagree

(Vote Leave)
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
I disagree

(Vote Leave)
OK, possibly.

(I agree)
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

Ask a silly question..?
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Just an option other than driving yourself:

You can arrange a car and driver at the airport (as well as buy a fridge-freezer at duty free), from the booths on the right as soon as you come through arrivals. Haggle a bit. The drivers don't make much of a percentage from the agencies but if you booked a guy as far as (say) Kandy with the agency, you could then cut a deal with him direct to take you round for a few days. I have the number of a good bloke I used if you need it, but there are loads. Some guest houses/hotels offer driver accommodation, some not - you pay your driver's board and lodging, but it's not a dear country to travel in. The inter-city roads are just regular two lane highways and are pretty busy for the most part so it takes a while to get around - plenty of tuk tuks, trucks and Ashok Leyland. It's well worth the effort though; great country and people, very green. Be warned that the pubs shut in the afternoons, in fine British yesteryear tradition. Radio announcers still love their Received Pronunciation.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:39 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, lovely green country with some amazing sights but ... got completely pi$$ed off by people thinking that we were money trees to be plucked (?!) as they saw fit. It completely spoiled our holiday and for that reason alone we will never return.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Happens eh? I didn't come across it too much but can well believe it.

Another option right now is Burma/Myanmar. Awesome place. Cheap, friendly, accessible from the Middle East, tons to see, few tourists, folk genuinely keen to talk to you because you're foreign rather than tapping you for your cash; I would go there in front of Sri Lanka, though both very good IMO.

Last edited by Standanista; Jun 23rd 2016 at 9:01 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2016, 9:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
(Vote Leave)
Too late now, in any case I voted the other way.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 12:34 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Hi guys... well aware that Sri Lanka isn't in the ME, but given it's close proximity a destination well traveled to from the sandpit so I hope you can offer some advice to a first timer.

I'm getting away from Ramadan in the first week of July, plan is to hire a car and take Sri Lanka as it comes, from Colombo and then Central over to the East and North so.. quick question..

Booking accommodation in advance would mean sticking to a schedule so do you think, given the time of year, that there will be plenty/enough accommodation available that I should be able to choose where I stay on an ad hoc basis?

I would be looking at regular chain hotels or good quality guest houses.

Thanks in advance.

Bear in mind that outside of the new highways the road infrastructure is poor and it takes much longer to get to places than you think. The driving isn't much fun as road priority appears to be based on the size of the vehicle!

I'd say that for a first visit is particular you want to limit the driving and choose an area to explore. The roads can be particularly dangerous as you get into more rural areas over to the East and North.

Personally I love the country, the people and the food and have never felt ripped off. I know I have been charged more than locals but that doesn't seem entirely unfair considering the low incomes. For example, museums have local and tourist entry fees.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:29 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Bear in mind that outside of the new highways the road infrastructure is poor and it takes much longer to get to places than you think. The driving isn't much fun as road priority appears to be based on the size of the vehicle!

I'd say that for a first visit is particular you want to limit the driving and choose an area to explore. The roads can be particularly dangerous as you get into more rural areas over to the East and North.

Personally I love the country, the people and the food and have never felt ripped off. I know I have been charged more than locals but that doesn't seem entirely unfair considering the low incomes. For example, museums have local and tourist entry fees.
Local and tourist rates for museums etc I have no problem with and nor do I mind if they add 'a bit extra'. But when they try and X 10 the price of something (the price of which is clearly shown on a label/sticker or on the shelf) then it leaves a really bad taste in the mouth. This wasn't just in small local shops, they tried it in a supermarket, too - they rang every item through the till three times and thought that we wouldn't notice.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the advice guys and girls... looking forward to temples, curry and rain