Sri Lanka

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sri Lanka

Agreed.

I tend to travel hard - seeing a lot in a short time frame. Whenever I see a guide or blog say you need to spend the entire day in this museum or that sight I always laugh because I'm always out in three hours. Like the Forbidden City. When you realise 90% of the place looks exactly the same there's no point spending hours and hours wandering around to look at yet another identical courtyard. So I'm never daunted by a packed itinerary. I also have no problems cutting out stuff to do at the last minute if I find something fascinating that I want to stay there longer.

I'm the traveller who's up at 6:30 AM, hit Starbucks (or whatever the closest equivalent is) and hit the pavement or trail. Won't say I don't understand those who linger over an overpriced hotel breakfast till 10:30 and spend the entire day at one sight not because they particularly liked it but because they are simply moving at a leisurely place, because I do, but that's not my style.

Originally Posted by Scamp
Oh goodness, I don't mean to sound like a total holiday fun killer.

I like to have lists of things that we want to do / see / go to and then each day we can decide what happens next. Some things need planning/ booking, some don't.

Often this is because we need to make the most of our time in a location - think of HCMC for example...Palace, war museum, tunnels trip, etc. Easily that's two whole days gone.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Ok , any tips on how you prevent yourself from being scammed/ripped off?

I loathe bartering ; absolutely loathe it.
Only way is to know the price of things. Bartering is just the way its done in certain cultures. If you're not willing to do it you're going to pay over the odds. It's just how it is.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Agreed.

I tend to travel hard - seeing a lot in a short time frame. Whenever I see a guide or blog say you need to spend the entire day in this museum or that sight I always laugh because I'm always out in three hours. Like the Forbidden City. When you realise 90% of the place looks exactly the same there's no point spending hours and hours wandering around to look at yet another identical courtyard. So I'm never daunted by a packed itinerary. I also have no problems cutting out stuff to do at the last minute if I find something fascinating that I want to stay there longer.

I'm the traveller who's up at 6:30 AM, hit Starbucks (or whatever the closest equivalent is) and hit the pavement or trail. Won't say I don't understand those who linger over an overpriced hotel breakfast till 10:30 and spend the entire day at one sight not because they particularly liked it but because they are simply moving at a leisurely place, because I do, but that's not my style.
Jesus that sounds horrible.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Whatever floats your boat innit.

For me I could think of nothing worse than having an itinerary. The fun and adventure and not knowing is what I enjoy.

My old man when he was travelling round SEA (for about 10yrs) used to buy the Lonely Planet just so he knew where not to go. If it was in it he would avoid it.

If you like have a plan and that works for you then all good. Different strokes and all that.
I generally come up with a lot of the 'things' we should do.
She generally finds restaurants and bars for us to try. Fair play - she's incredibly good at picking some awesome places.

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Ok , any tips on how you prevent yourself from being scammed/ripped off?

I loathe bartering ; absolutely loathe it.
Try to know the price / value, that's the easiest way.
If in a bartering culture and not sure, just assume it's half of what they're saying, or less.
Don't do what I do and get bogged down with a cab fare argument when he's saying the equivalent of $1 and you're saying 80cents.
I'm really impatient and hate the rigmarole, but others love it.
Always, always, stick with your gut feeling. If the seller seems alright and not a total scumbag then make a deal. If they're a scumbag you think then buy somewhere else.
Oh, and something I heard in Sri Lanka - if you buy something hand made / silk / cotton / any claimed material. Buy the one you're looking at and don't let them take it away and wrap it, you might end up with a shit / knock off version of what you were looking at.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'm not that extreme, I do like a lie in, but I do enjoy getting out and about. We tend to have busy days and chill days but want to see sights in cities and others, then enjoy the relaxing times in the next location.

Balance is everything.