Sri Lanka

Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Sri Lanka

Originally Posted by jam25mack
That's why I get on with Cambodia, you can drink while exploring! Instead of doing one of the rip off temple tours in Siem Reap I rented a Tuk Tuk the night before (when he brought me back from the bar) for the next afternoon. I told the dude I needed to see 3 specific temples in a few hours and that I needed a chilly bin stocked with travel beers. Had a great afternoon the next day wandering round a temple, then beers en route, then temple, then beer, then a smoke on top of a temple, then beer.... then beer.... then beer......
Sounds pretty epic to me.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

There is a hotel+restaurant in Dambulla (home of the famous Buddhist caves ); place had the absolute greatest fish-n-chips I ever had.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Mar 8th 2017 at 2:23 am.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp we're in Nuwera Eliya right now. I'm sat on the terrace at the utterly delightful, slightly rackety,colonial Golf Club with a Lion beer. There are rooms here too..
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente
Scamp we're in Nuwera Eliya right now. I'm sat on the terrace at the utterly delightful, slightly rackety,colonial Golf Club with a Lion beer. There are rooms here too..
Just googled the golf club, looks seriously old school / colonial.....appreciate the heads up greatly but keep in mind this short break is to balance the longer city holidays in Japan....I think being inland playing golf for five days would go down like a fart in a space suit.

Very jealous. Got the post-holiday blues at work today so I hope you enjoy
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

We are on day 6. Am utterly amazed by the history. I knew it had loads but kind of had a Mauritius lookee likee in my head with a few more temples (lived there as a child). My son has discovered God (he's 6) and it's Buddha. Dambulla caves converted him and climbing Sirigiya rock was a highlight for all if us.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

We are on day 6. Am utterly amazed by the history. I knew it had loads but kind of had a Mauritius lookee likee in my head with a few more temples (lived there as a child). My son has discovered God (he's 6) and it's Buddha. Dambulla caves converted him and climbing Sirigiya rock was a highlight for all of us.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:04 am
Account Closed

We are on day 6. Am utterly amazed by the history. I knew it had loads but kind of had a Mauritius lookee likee in my head with a few more temples (lived there as a child). My son has discovered God (he's 6) and it's Buddha. Dambulla caves converted him and climbing Sirigiya rock was a highlight for all if us.
Sounds amazing

I can't wait, only a few weeks until we go.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I did 2 trips to Nuwera Eliya for a project at the radar site, right on the top of Mt Pidurutalagala (8,281 feet) plus whatever it was to the top of the tower. Awesome views.
I don't remember the name of the hotel but it was a big old black and white colonial era place. Rooms had iron bedsteads with fire places tiled and with black iron grates. Old chap in the billiard room in his whites with the gloves on ready to polish your balls. A quick gander on booking.com has me thinking it was the Glendower hotel but the fact there are some 300 hotels listed there tells me the place has changed a lot in the the last 10 years or so.

Gets chilly up there in the winter time. Never had a better cup of tea anywhere.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

What's the best way to see sites and visit the country (or any tourist destination for that matter) ?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
I did 2 trips to Nuwera Eliya for a project at the radar site, right on the top of Mt Pidurutalagala (8,281 feet) plus whatever it was to the top of the tower. Awesome views.
I don't remember the name of the hotel but it was a big old black and white colonial era place. Rooms had iron bedsteads with fire places tiled and with black iron grates. Old chap in the billiard room in his whites with the gloves on ready to polish your balls. A quick gander on booking.com has me thinking it was the Glendower hotel but the fact there are some 300 hotels listed there tells me the place has changed a lot in the the last 10 years or so.

Gets chilly up there in the winter time. Never had a better cup of tea anywhere.
Sounds like the Grand Hotel. I stayed there last month. Very colonial and the rooms are out of the 1950s. Has the most gorgeous gardens surrounding it.

The golf club is very close.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 9:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
What's the best way to see sites and visit the country (or any tourist destination for that matter) ?
Pick your area and get yourself a driver. Not expensive and they will know the best times to visit any of the attractions.

If you want to stay near Sigiriya, I'd recommend the Aaliya. It's lovely.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_..._Province.html
Old Jun 30th 2017, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah SL the place Lived until my early teens, in Colombo at the moment heading back to Muscat tonight was in kandy for the last 4 days was around 25c the whole time. I think a lot has been said already. Lots of boutique type of places in SL which are reasonably priced. SL is India light. The curries are the in between of Thailand and India. How many days are you planning to stay, there are some domestic flights you can take to save time, cinnamon air and Helitours run by the airforce. There are 2 seasons, November to April is the ideal time for the southern coast low tide and great for swimming. May to October for the eastern coast.

ER

Last edited by eastrunner; Jun 30th 2017 at 4:39 am.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 5:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We both loved our Sir Lanka trip several years ago. Spent around 3 weeks from memory.
Best way to get around is with a driver with car.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:32 am
Account Closed

So.... for all of those who aren't my biggest fans.....if you want a cheap and easy laugh, have a look at the weather in Sri Lanka now and for the next 5-6 days.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 11:36 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
So.... for all of those who aren't my biggest fans.....if you want a cheap and easy laugh, have a look at the weather in Sri Lanka now and for the next 5-6 days.
It's monsoon season in India right now and it seems also like the monsoon has came later than usual. I assume that must be happening there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.