Sri Lanka

Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sri Lanka

Scamp, Meow and everyone else.

It's that time of the year that I head on vacation with the fam.

So when you all go on vacation, how do you set it up? Do you just buy a package throught a travel agent?
Package = Air-tickets, Hotel, possibly pickup/drop-off from the airport, possibly rental car.

Or do you just go online, look at a decent hotel and then buy a package through the Hotel?
Or do you buy the tickets yourself, reserve a hotel and once you get to the destination country, you pick tour operators the Hotel recommends?

Last year I went to the Riviera Maya ; sis went online and found a nice hotel. The Hotel handled the air-tickets and transport from Cancun airport . We picked out some excursions from the Tour operators in the Hotel.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't do packages though I can see why people do.

I decide on the destination and a general itinerary. Book the flights and the hotels. Then I do what I want to do each day. In a city I just take taxis/metro/bus around and visit the sights on my own. Countryside activities are usually active and I hit the trails and if needed book my own operators in advance. Rent a car if needed, like my road trip around NZ last year.

Occasionally I might sign up on a tour in advance for a day trip somewhere specific, such as to the Great Wall from Beijing, but I did the research and found a tour that took me directly to the wall and back. No faffing around fake jade shops.

I like doing the research on restaurants and activities and sights and plotting my own itinerary. Spending an entire trip following someone with a raised umbrella and wearing colour coded t-shirts? No thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Scamp, Meow and everyone else.

It's that time of the year that I head on vacation with the fam.

So when you all go on vacation, how do you set it up? Do you just buy a package throught a travel agent?
Package = Air-tickets, Hotel, possibly pickup/drop-off from the airport, possibly rental car.

Or do you just go online, look at a decent hotel and then buy a package through the Hotel?
Or do you buy the tickets yourself, reserve a hotel and once you get to the destination country, you pick tour operators the Hotel recommends?

Last year I went to the Riviera Maya ; sis went online and found a nice hotel. The Hotel handled the air-tickets and transport from Cancun airport . We picked out some excursions from the Tour operators in the Hotel.
We generally:

Pick location
Start to research it.
Adjust, to include an extra bit or plan a rough 4days here, 4 days there, 3 days there and home type sketch.
Decide on a single / multiple location.
Book main flights....which means dates are set.
Then buy the lonely planet (if we haven't already) to use along with other web research.
Research best areas in the locations selected.
Research which hotels are in budget in areas.
Book, preferably with free cancellation through booking.com
Book remaining hotels.
Same time research travel between - train / plane etc.
Book travel between, if train / plane.
Research more about activities, come up with lists for each place of things to do / dinners / lunches / must see etc.
Book transport from airport with the hotel, generally do this because I can't be bothered with badly organised transportation after a flight. Note: some places it's worth just reading and seeing what's easiest (BKK was easy just to train in, Singapore the Taxis are well organised etc).
Finally, recap, note it down, be a real detailed planner so I haven't missed everything, print it all.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:29 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
We generally:

Pick location
Start to research it.
Adjust, to include an extra bit or plan a rough 4days here, 4 days there, 3 days there and home type sketch.
Then buy the lonely planet (if we haven't already) to use along with other web research.
Book remaining hotels.
Research more about activities, come up with lists for each place of things to do / dinners / lunches / must see etc.
Book transport from airport with the hotel, generally do this because I can't be bothered with badly organised transportation after a flight. Note: some places it's worth just reading and seeing what's easiest (BKK was easy just to train in, Singapore the Taxis are well organised etc).
Finally, recap, note it down, be a real detailed planner so I haven't missed everything, print it all.
More-or-less identical for me, but recently have used AirBnB extensively (and successfully).

Edit to state locations I've done this:
Budapest
Amsterdam
Central Italy
Sicily
Portugal (although hotel was in a hotel+golf package)
Morocco (several times for the family to come out)
Ireland

Just now looking at Lysefjord...

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jul 20th 2017 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

This is it. End of.

Although AirBnB as Baht suggested is increasingly a viable option over hotels.

OTE=Scamp;12298573]We generally:

Pick location
Start to research it.
Book remaining hotels.
Finally, recap, note it down, be a real detailed planner so I haven't missed everything, print it all.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 20th 2017, 1:32 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

We generally:

Pick location
Start to research it.
Book remaining hotels.
I do mostly this apart from the last bit. I like to have rough plans of what we'll do but then see what we feel like on the day.

Researching a place you haven't been before, using a variety of sources is part of the pleasure of going away, but I like to just wander around places and get a bit of a feel for a place without rushing from one tourist spot to another.

I have an aversion to most organised and structured things in life, or even being told what to do, so having info to hand and doing as we feel like is ideal for us.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Do similar but generally just book flights, accom and a car (if need be) and then make the rest up as I go along.

May go online a few days before I leave to see whats about.

Check the weather on route to the airport.
Old Jul 20th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Do similar but generally just book flights, accom and a car (if need be) and then make the rest up as I go along.

May go online a few days before I leave to see whats about.

Check the weather on route to the airport.
That's me too, book return flights, a few days at the first destination, and take it from there.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 4:49 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
That's me too, book return flights, a few days at the first destination, and take it from there.
Same here for me and Mrs She’d. Book flights and first 1/2 nights in a hotel to suss the place out and then just start wandering. Once we booked to Hong Kong and ended up visiting 5 other countries, came back four weeks later.

We occasionally do tours but only in private car with dedicated guide so that we can skip the tacky shops and add things that interest us along the way.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 4:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Oh goodness, I don't mean to sound like a total holiday fun killer.

I like to have lists of things that we want to do / see / go to and then each day we can decide what happens next. Some things need planning/ booking, some don't.

Often this is because we need to make the most of our time in a location - think of HCMC for example...Palace, war museum, tunnels trip, etc. Easily that's two whole days gone.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

I like to have lists of things that we want to do / see / go to and then each day we can decide what happens next. Some things need planning/ booking, some don't.

Often this is because we need to make the most of our time in a location - think of HCMC for example...Palace, war museum, tunnels trip, etc. Easily that's two whole days gone.
Sounds exhausting
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Sounds exhausting
Not if you follow up the city with a beach.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever floats your boat innit.

For me I could think of nothing worse than having an itinerary. The fun and adventure and not knowing is what I enjoy.

My old man when he was travelling round SEA (for about 10yrs) used to buy the Lonely Planet just so he knew where not to go. If it was in it he would avoid it.

If you like have a plan and that works for you then all good. Different strokes and all that.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Whatever floats your boat innit.

For me I could think of nothing worse than having an itinerary. The fun and adventure and not knowing is what I enjoy.

My old man when he was travelling round SEA (for about 10yrs) used to buy the Lonely Planet just so he knew where not to go. If it was in it he would avoid it.

If you like have a plan and that works for you then all good. Different strokes and all that.
Totally agree.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Ok , any tips on how you prevent yourself from being scammed/ripped off?

I loathe bartering ; absolutely loathe it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.