British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "Squatting" toilets introduced in Rochdale shopping mall (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/squatting-toilets-introduced-rochdale-shopping-mall-676797/)

Norm_uk Jul 19th 2010 1:28 pm

Re: "Squatting" toilets introduced in Rochdale shopping mall

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8703499)
I remember when I was little we always went on holiday to France and they were very common over there...

and yes...how many times have you used toilet paper, whiped and whiped and still there was poo on it and you'd thought oh what the hell, and pulled up your pants and walked...there defo is something to say for water...
plus I know that in mr MH's office, a lot of the men actually squat on the toilet seat of the normal toilets, which isn't ideal really...

anyway...lets see what Norm has to say about it all...

They are common on the continent and in the far east as well. It's no big deal really especially as they are offering a choice not just changing them all from sitting to squatting toilets.

I agree with your toilet paper comments - I think that's why we invented bidets and those little shower thingies. Paper alone is not usually good enough - I grew up with a bidet at home and can't really imagine paper only as something hygenic.

If they were to start installing ablution facilities and prayer rooms in malls back home I might have something to say but this is just a variant on the humble toilet - used all over the world. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

N.

NedKelly Jul 19th 2010 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mathematist (Post 8712143)

I just don't get it that the gents who stand up and urinate, just zip up and walk out without even using tissue paper and worst of all, don't wash their hands after.

What's the point in washing your hands. After you have washed them you have to pull the door knob to get out of the toilets which was just pulled by someone who didn't wash their hands.

mathematist Jul 19th 2010 10:10 pm

fair point about the previous bloke who didn't was his hands and you also open the door after them. I suppose if one really wants to be careful, you could use a tissue to open the door.

Boomhauer Jul 20th 2010 12:19 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly (Post 8713262)
What's the point in washing your hands. After you have washed them you have to pull the door knob to get out of the toilets which was just pulled by someone who didn't wash their hands.

Which is why one should use paper towels to pull toilet handles, faucet knobs, toilet levers .

The best solution are those toilets with no doors but L shaped walls obstructing the view.

Bonita Springs Jul 20th 2010 2:39 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly (Post 8713262)

After I urinate I wash my hands and tear off a towel, and instead shooting it into the garbage can I maintain possession of it in my right hand, I reach for the door handle with towel firmly in hand and as I release the handle the towel falls harmlessly away to the ground for someone else to pick up later.. If there's no door, just that little maze a pretend im dribbling the balled up towel then simulate a fad away jump shot to the can...

Bahtatboy Jul 20th 2010 5:36 am

I always douse the cold tap (I never use the hot tap in public loos) with water before turning it off. Paranoid?

Norm_uk Jul 20th 2010 5:39 am

[QUOTE=coffindodger;8712246]

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8712232)

I too am amazed at the number of guys who don't wash their hands.
Then back to the bar and finnish eating the peanuts on the bar. :thumbup:

If you're just going for a pee something to consider is that urine is sterile and most most men don't pee on their hands when going for a quick slash. Given the fact that if you wash only once a day your privates are far cleaner than your hands because they are proctected by your underwear unlike hands which are exposed to germs all day long and hand washing after a wee isn't such a major issue.

I still wash them though - but from a medical standpoint it's not the end of the world.

N.

Umbrella Jul 20th 2010 5:56 am

I carry a can of disinfectant and spray anything I might have to come in contact with, that is, after I don my hazmat suit.

U

Bahtatboy Jul 20th 2010 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Umbrella (Post 8714168)
I carry a can of disinfectant and spray anything I might have to come in contact with, that is, after I don my hazmat suit.

U

Betcha okusan loves that.

kittycat1 Jul 20th 2010 6:07 am

This thread really is grim. I feel like I have learnt far too much information about you all. :p

Umbrella Jul 20th 2010 7:39 am

We have matching hazmat suits. Pink and Blue. We special ordered them from the hazmat suit factory in Kochi prefecture. The are like super shammies: one drop of water makes them expand, one good squeeze returns them to their original size. We store them in one inch square, moisture-proof platinum boxes. I paid ten thousand yen extra to get a digital clock put on mine and a pair of small handles. This way I can attach a wrist strap and wear it as a watch.

I still prefer our ToTo east-meets-west toilet seat. There's nothing like a warm seat and aromatic fan to greet your bum at 3am. I could complete a crossword or two in that little state of Nirvana if I wasn't so sleepy. The ToTo never gets the spray treatment or hazmat suits. Japanese germ killing technology takes care of that. Also why push for a squirt when you can have the toilet wipe for you? We have more options on our ToTo than our Toyota!

U.

Bahtatboy Jul 20th 2010 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Umbrella (Post 8714334)
We have matching hazmat suits. Pink and Blue. We special ordered them from the hazmat suit factory in Kochi prefecture. The are like super shammies: one drop of water makes them expand, one good squeeze returns them to their original size. We store them in one inch square, moisture-proof platinum boxes. I paid ten thousand yen extra to get a digital clock put on mine and a pair of small handles. This way I can attach a wrist strap and wear it as a watch.

I still prefer our ToTo east-meets-west toilet seat. There's nothing like a warm seat and aromatic fan to greet your bum at 3am. I could complete a crossword or two in that little state of Nirvana if I wasn't so sleepy. The ToTo never gets the spray treatment or hazmat suits. Japanese germ killing technology takes care of that. Also why push for a squirt when you can have the toilet wipe for you? We have more options on our ToTo than our Toyota!

U.

What the hell are you preparing yourself for?!!! Do you carry them everywhere? And if another f**ked-up cult releases sarin in the subway, could you get them on quickly enough to protect yourselves? Or is it just kinky sex? (closely allied to the Kinki Dog Grooming Salon in Sakai-shi?)

Gulfstreamaviator Jul 23rd 2010 4:58 pm

In Dubai MOE, had Jap toilet demo

Been in UAE for a few years, and really got to like the toilet shower.

Hate the wet pants due to the flooded floor.

Never got the squatting scene sorted.

glf