British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "Squatting" toilets introduced in Rochdale shopping mall (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/squatting-toilets-introduced-rochdale-shopping-mall-676797/)

The Dean Jul 15th 2010 1:51 pm

"Squatting" toilets introduced in Rochdale shopping mall

:huh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-10644118

SDDep Jul 15th 2010 1:59 pm

Re: "Squatting" toilets introduced in Rochdale shopping mall

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8703476)

Lovely....personally I always found Rochdale to be one big public toilet anyway....

Bahtatboy Jul 15th 2010 2:00 pm

I hate them--always terrified of crapping in my back pocket.

Having said that, if there's a good number of people in that community who prefer them, then fair enough. And on the whole, there is an argument for water instead of paper.

MataHari Jul 15th 2010 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8703487)
I hate them--always terrified of crapping in my back pocket.

Having said that, if there's a good number of people in that community who prefer them, then fair enough. And on the whole, there is an argument for water instead of paper.

I remember when I was little we always went on holiday to France and they were very common over there...

and yes...how many times have you used toilet paper, whiped and whiped and still there was poo on it and you'd thought oh what the hell, and pulled up your pants and walked...there defo is something to say for water...
plus I know that in mr MH's office, a lot of the men actually squat on the toilet seat of the normal toilets, which isn't ideal really...

anyway...lets see what Norm has to say about it all...

Bahtatboy Jul 15th 2010 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8703499)
I remember when I was little we always went on holiday to France and they were very common over there...

and yes...how many times have you used toilet paper, whiped and whiped and still there was poo on it and you'd thought oh what the hell, and pulled up your pants and walked...there defo is something to say for water...
plus I know that in mr MH's office, a lot of the men actually squat on the toilet seat of the normal toilets, which isn't ideal really...

Having lived in Japan for a long time, and Mrs BTB being Japanese, we brought back to home in Yorkshire a Japenese toilet seat, complete with built-in bum and ladies' bits washer. Much more hygeinic, and a nice tingling sensation to boot:D

littlejimmy Jul 15th 2010 3:20 pm

:lol:

Water is better, unless it's sprayed all over the floor as is the custom in the ME/NA

In Germany they have a little shelf in the toilet where your doings sit for inspection before flushing. Even more alarming was the toilets in America where the water level is almost up to the seat.

What a lovely subject for a Thursday night, eh?

littlejimmy Jul 15th 2010 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8703511)
Having lived in Japan for a long time, and Mrs BTB being Japanese, we brought back to home in Yorkshire a Japenese toilet seat, complete with built-in bum and ladies' bits washer. Much more hygeinic, and a nice tingling sensation to boot:D

There was a restaurant in Taipei that served food in squat pots.

MataHari Jul 15th 2010 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8703653)
:lol:

Water is better, unless it's sprayed all over the floor as is the custom in the ME/NA

In Germany they have a little shelf in the toilet where your doings sit for inspection before flushing. Even more alarming was the toilets in America where the water level is almost up to the seat.

What a lovely subject for a Thursday night, eh?

oh, same in Holland, and to be honest, I actually prefer it if you can 'inspect' before flushing...makes finding out that the kids got worms much easier...

not keen on the high water level...and here it's weird cause the water can be so warm you can actually feel the heat rise up...so to speak...

The Dean Jul 15th 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8703686)
oh, same in Holland, and to be honest, I actually prefer it if you can 'inspect' before flushing...makes finding out that the kids got worms much easier...

not keen on the high water level...and here it's weird cause the water can be so warm you can actually feel the heat rise up...so to speak...

I did not expect to become sexually aroused by this topic, but sure enough............. :o

Inselaffen Jul 16th 2010 2:50 am

but then along came the German Invasion and they installed proper toilets :p

Inselaffen Jul 16th 2010 2:54 am

squatting over porcelain would be a luxury compared to the village bogs on my recent holiday. little raised wooden hut 100m from the house. crapping into a not all that deep hole.

it was bad enough in summer but no chance I would want to use it at night in winter when its minus 40 deg and there are hungry wolves around

Boomhauer Jul 16th 2010 2:58 am

When I was in AD, I absolutely hated the bidets that squirted water from the bottom and always preferred the bidets that had the faucet like way of dispensing water.

And what the hell is it with people who put carpet on their toilet seat lids, carpet is bad for hygiene.

seven seas Jul 16th 2010 3:45 am

Just wait- withina few months you'll eb able to smell Rochdale's toilets from here.

As for water- if you had crap on yourhands, would you prefer to wipe it off with tissue or use a bit of water?

crapper+bidet = excellent combination.

Squatty toilet= apparently better for your .... erm.... sphincter I guess. No really it is. But as BTB said, too much risk of missing your target.

The Dean Jul 16th 2010 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8704808)
squatting over porcelain would be a luxury compared to the village bogs on my recent holiday. little raised wooden hut 100m from the house. crapping into a not all that deep hole.

it was bad enough in summer but no chance I would want to use it at night in winter when its minus 40 deg and there are hungry wolves around

Minus 40?? Hungry wolves??

Bloody hell - Singapore's changed since I was last there.........

The Dean Jul 16th 2010 5:24 am

So far, nobody has commented on the Islamification of Britain's toilets, British culture being eroded, etc.... etc....

Or are toilets too trivial a subject to worry about?