British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Springs... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/springs-591528/)

Spugsy Feb 15th 2009 5:51 am

The Springs...

....we're looking around for somewhere to move to soon, and there's not loads in our price range but there are tons and tons of places at the springs,

how come? Has everybody moved out completely??

NorthernLad Feb 15th 2009 5:54 am

Re: The Springs...

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286291)
....we're looking around for somewhere to move to soon, and there's not loads in our price range but there are tons and tons of places at the springs,

Friends in Springs 15 say it is very quiet.

We were told from a friend in real estate that prices are literally dropping by the day.

TGFKASE Feb 15th 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286291)

Pretty much, aye... Still a frigging nightmare getting out of here in the mornings tho...

Spugsy Feb 15th 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7286296)
Friends in Springs 15 say it is very quiet.

We were told from a friend in real estate that prices are literally dropping by the day.

well I bloody hope so because they don't seem to have dropped much and we need to move out in 5 weeks,

we're considering taking a 3 or 6 month rental somewhere and then seeing how much they've dropped by then.

For AED 120,000 (which is what we're paying now) you really can;t get very much at all, and we don't want to spend loads more as you never know what's round the corner and we're trying to save a bit.

Spugsy Feb 15th 2009 5:58 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7286299)
Pretty much, aye... Still a frigging nightmare getting out of here in the mornings tho...

ah you see that's the problem, I would get a cab to Jumeirah and the missus drive to Deira,

reckon that would be a pain?

NorthernLad Feb 15th 2009 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286304)
well I bloody hope so because they don't seem to have dropped much and we need to move out in 5 weeks,

we're considering taking a 3 or 6 month rental somewhere and then seeing how much they've dropped by then.

For AED 120,000 (which is what we're paying now) you really can;t get very much at all, and we don't want to spend loads more as you never know what's round the corner and we're trying to save a bit.

Is that advertised prices, or have you called up agents and made an offer?

We're ringing around this week to see what landlords will actually accept, as opposed to what is advertised.

In the current climate I expect there will be agents/landlords out there desperate for tenants.

Spugsy Feb 15th 2009 6:13 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7286311)
Is that advertised prices, or have you called up agents and made an offer?

We're ringing around this week to see what landlords will actually accept, as opposed to what is advertised.

In the current climate I expect there will be agents/landlords out there desperate for tenants.

yeah thats advertised, just got a contact for a 2 bed villa in Al Quoz, so going to give them a ring.

So whatever people are asking, we should offer less?

TGFKASE Feb 15th 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286316)
yeah thats advertised, just got a contact for a 2 bed villa in Al Quoz, so going to give them a ring.

Hell yes, its a tenants market, and the more tenants haggle, the faster the rental prices are going to drop to something more realistic..

Sky Blue Feb 15th 2009 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286305)
ah you see that's the problem, I would get a cab to Jumeirah and the missus drive to Deira,

When i first arrived i used to get a cab from the Greens to Jumeirah and if i went just after 6am it was fine, later than that it turns into a liability to get a cab and out of the traffic, very quiet out that way too...

Yep negotiate all the way mate...

Blue Cat Feb 15th 2009 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286305)

yes, taxi's are like hens teeth up this end of town.

Meow Feb 15th 2009 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286316)

Don't hold your breath on villas in Al Quoz. Many are just awful. I saw some last year and I wouldn't have housed goats in them.

Good luck with your search. The 3-6 month options sounds like a good idea to me.

-

Emerald_Eyes Feb 15th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7286511)
yes, taxi's are like hens teeth up this end of town.

Agreed - taxis are a pain in the morning unless you develop a good technique of hailing them. But I do think Spugsy and Mrs Spugsy should move to the Greens so we can be neighbours, purely for selfish reasons! It's a lovely place to live and the traffic has calmed down quite a bit now.

Blue Cat Feb 15th 2009 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7286522)
Don't hold your breath on villas in Al Quoz. Many are just awful. I saw some last year and I wouldn't have housed goats in them.

Good luck with your search. The 3-6 month options sounds like a good idea to me.

-

some of them are great though, a friend of mine has got a three bed up there not far from the Oasis centre, walled etc. Pays less than 100k.