British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Spouses criminal records and residency? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/spouses-criminal-records-residency-780037/)

Beakersful Dec 8th 2012 7:04 pm

Spouses criminal records and residency?

A friend would like to know where she stands as a spouse entering the Gulf with a criminal record. She won't be the one working, and wants to know if she'll get rejected, and if simply applying will put her husband on a blacklist?

Desert Dubliner Dec 8th 2012 7:27 pm

Re: Spouses criminal records and residency?

She'll be chained to the ceiling, they'll put a gimp mask on and then lash her for being a naughty girl.

Eeyore Dec 9th 2012 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10423428)
A friend would like to know where she stands as a spouse entering the Gulf with a criminal record. She won't be the one working, and wants to know if she'll get rejected, and if simply applying will put her husband on a blacklist?

Depends on the country, I'd've thought. To the best of my knowledge there are no background checks done in the UAE, but things might be more stringent somewhere like Saudi. Perhaps not, though, since they welcomed Idi Amin in his final years.

We used to know someone who originally applied for Australian residency, but failed the background checks, so he tried Dubai instead and was let in without question.

Beakersful Dec 9th 2012 10:31 am

Saudi is first point of call. Hubby has to have a 'criminal records' check. Strange it used that term, rather than 'CRB check', that great monstrosity. There's a bit of a blur apparently, I'm going to have to ask her to clarify what she's been told by 'probation staff' about "travel in the EU isn't an issue, but living somewhere she has to ask both countries" (she's on license...?) When that came up, I'm starting to think they may cringe and back off fast like a kid facing broccoli on the dinner table.

Eeyore Dec 9th 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10424096)
I'm going to have to ask her to clarify what she's been told by 'probation staff' about "travel in the EU isn't an issue, but living somewhere she has to ask both countries" (she's on license...?)

If the Home Office requires her to explain her situation to the Saudi authorities and get their permission, then I wouldn't bet on her being allowed in. Is there any way she can talk to an experienced immigration lawyer in Saudi before applying?

Unfortuately, being obliged to reveal her criminal record and obtain permission from any country she wishes to move to may screw up her chances of getting in *anywhere*, including the UAE, where it's very much a case of "don't ask, don't tell". Although, maybe not. It may depend on what she was convicted of, it may depend simply on the mood of the immigration official who's making the decision on her case that day. Again, a local immigration lawyer would be the best person to ask.

Beakersful Dec 9th 2012 12:17 pm

I think he's going to need a new career, a new wife, or she stays back home and only sees her 4 weeks a year. The conviction is a domestic violence, self defence one where the other party didn't survive the ride in the ambulance

Meow Dec 10th 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10424240)
I think he's going to need a new career, a new wife, or she stays back home and only sees her 4 weeks a year. The conviction is a domestic violence, self defence one where the other party didn't survive the ride in the ambulance

She killed someone? :huh:

Irishbeekeeper Dec 10th 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10423456)
She'll be chained to the ceiling, they'll put a gimp mask on and then lash her for being a naughty girl.

I used to pay for that :rofl:

mentalist Dec 10th 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10425350)

Or maybe the ambulance ploughed into a train at a level crossing.;)

Beakersful Dec 10th 2012 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10425350)

Yeah, it appears even those untrained in the dark arts can be a lucky beginner and hit an artery .

Kix Dec 10th 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10424240)

And he still wants to be with her? :ohmy:

Beakersful Dec 10th 2012 2:58 pm

Well, once someone is rehabilitated we do tend to give them a second chance, do we not?

Spugsy Dec 10th 2012 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10423428)

My missus is in HR and they don't ask if the spouse has a criminal record and doesn't think they can find out. However if he didn't mention it and it came out it might not be so bad.

Pollyana Dec 10th 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10424096)
Saudi is first point of call. Hubby has to have a 'criminal records' check. Strange it used that term, rather than 'CRB check', that great monstrosity. There's a bit of a blur apparently, I'm going to have to ask her to clarify what she's been told by 'probation staff' about "travel in the EU isn't an issue, but living somewhere she has to ask both countries" (she's on license...?) When that came up, I'm starting to think they may cringe and back off fast like a kid facing broccoli on the dinner table.

If she is on license she would need permission (I think from the Parole Board) to leave the country - there may also be other conditions on the license. Not as simple as just supplying a conviction history I'm afraid.

Beakersful Dec 10th 2012 5:00 pm

Sounds like she has got that, but that's only half the action necessary. Places like Canada won't let Americans in apparently if they've been busted for weed or got a DUI, and they aren't exactly major crimes. Working in the EU is now being looked at, where countries are, well not more liberal, but have signed up to agreements.