British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sports TV Coverage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sports-tv-coverage-654075/)

lionheart Feb 10th 2010 6:26 am

Sports TV Coverage

We have the Orbit Showtime sports TV package but would like to add the channels covering the Six Nations Rugby, Champions League Footy and the up-coming World Cup Footy. I thought it was ARY Digital but presumably not. Who are the TV guys in Dubai I need to contact and does anyone know how much it will cost? Will there be only Arabic commentary? Thanks for helping.

NorthernLad Feb 19th 2010 7:49 am

Re: Sports TV Coverage

Best get signed up to Al Jazeera. I heard last night they are getting the Premiership next.

Victor Meldrew Feb 19th 2010 8:09 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8328863)
We have the Orbit Showtime sports TV package but would like to add the channels covering the Six Nations Rugby, Champions League Footy and the up-coming World Cup Footy. I thought it was ARY Digital but presumably not. Who are the TV guys in Dubai I need to contact and does anyone know how much it will cost? Will there be only Arabic commentary? Thanks for helping.

I have Evision and have just signed up to Al Jazeera sports to get the 6 Nations.

The guy said that the World Cup will also be on there.

Its 23 aed a month.

pauldxb Feb 19th 2010 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8356987)
I have Evision and have just signed up to Al Jazeera sports to get the 6 Nations.

The guy said that the World Cup will also be on there.

Its 23 aed a month.

Al Jazeera ! ? Can you get this through OSN ?

Victor Meldrew Feb 19th 2010 8:25 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 8357010)
Al Jazeera ! ? Can you get this through OSN ?

It's a bit confusing (for me anyway!). I buy my TV package through E-vision (I have to, there is a monopoly on it in my building). The channels are identical to the OSN network/package.

Not sure if that answers your question :confused:

Victor Meldrew Feb 19th 2010 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8357015)
It's a bit confusing (for me anyway!). I buy my TV package through E-vision (I have to, there is a monopoly on it in my building). The channels are identical to the OSN network/package.

Not sure if that answers your question :confused:

I just went into the Etisalat building on SZ Rd and asked to add the AJ sports channels, paid 3 months up front and in 5 minutes I had them.

Jim Smith Feb 19th 2010 11:01 am

[QUOTE=

I hardly watch TV but has anyone seen live coverage of Olympics and what channel(s). Is it free to air or pay to view?

Cheers.

Victor Meldrew Feb 19th 2010 11:02 am

[QUOTE=Jim Smith;8357302][QUOTE=

I hardly watch TV but has anyone seen live coverage of Olympics and what channel(s). Is it free to air or pay to view?

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Al Jazeera Sports:thumbsup:

Jim Smith Feb 19th 2010 11:11 am

Does anyone know where youcan see the Olympics live? Pay for view or free to air?
Thanks.

benzonar Feb 19th 2010 11:29 am

If you have cable via Du or Etisalat then you can add Al Jazeera Sports easily by calling your provider.

If you have OSN then I;m pretty sure you get Al Jazeera for free now. I bought a card back in Sept, but I think 3 months ago OSN must have signed a deal with them.

As to the Premiership, Abu Dhabi Media bought the rights and they are talking about only making it available through the web to encourage the take up of high speed internet in the region. You'll need a local IP in order to subscribe.

lionheart Feb 19th 2010 11:36 am

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 8357362)
If you have cable via Du or Etisalat then you can add Al Jazeera Sports easily by calling your provider. If you have OSN then I;m pretty sure you get Al Jazeera for free now. I bought a card back in Sept, but I think 3 months ago OSN must have signed a deal with them.

You certainly don't get Al Jazeerah for free with OSN. You get Sports 1+2 only. I don't think you can even pay to extend the coverage. Instead you have to pay separately for Al Jazeerah but I still don't know how. We don't get E-vision or Du either.

benzonar Feb 19th 2010 11:40 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8357386)
You certainly don't get Al Jazeerah for free with OSN. You get Sports 1+2 only. I don't think you can even pay to extend the coverage. Instead you have to pay separately for Al Jazeerah but I still don't know how. We don't get E-vision or Du either.

Have you found the position of the channels. i.e. are they coming up scrambled or do they not show at all?

I was using a card that I had to swop out for my Showtime one, then I'm pretty sure the channels just started working without having to swop cards. If they are scrambled for you then you will need to purchase a card. About 280dhs if I remember rightly. Just find a local satellite dealer and I'm sure you can buy one, if I remember right Spugsy picked one up last year from a place in Dubai so will know where to get it. I only know of places in AD.

Jim Smith Feb 19th 2010 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 8357362)
As to the Premiership, Abu Dhabi Media bought the rights and they are talking about only making it available through the web to encourage the take up of high speed internet in the region. You'll need a local IP in order to subscribe.

I only watch free to air!!!

Yes it is going to be interesting to see what happens with the Premiership matches next season now AD Media have the rights. Thinking about subscribing but would prefer a satellite feed as the internet is cr.....oops not very good in my area shall we say!!

Jim Smith Feb 19th 2010 1:14 pm

[QUOTE=Victor Meldrew;8357307]

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8357302)

Al Jazeera Sports:thumbsup:

Thanks....