Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sports Books That Make A Grown Man Cry

Sports Books That Make A Grown Man Cry

Old May 15th 2008, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sports Books That Make A Grown Man Cry

Following Karlos's comment (in the Zenit v Rangers thread) about Lance Armstrong's book making him cry, I nominate Arthur Ashe's autobiography, "Days Of Grace", written after he was diagnosed with AIDS.

The last chapter, an open letter to his children about their future, cannot be read without a flood of tears......

It happens to be a bloody good book anyway, but the last chapter........
Old May 15th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sports Books That Make A Grown Man Cry

Regardless of if you are into cycling or not Lance Armstrong,s book is a real 'tear jerker'

He has written a couple and if I remember the one in question is titled 'Its not about the bike'

Obviously cycling comes into in a big way but to read the harrowing story of him and his family coming to terms with testicular cancer and then going on to win the Tour De France within 18 months will reduce anyone to tears !

I would recommend the book to anyone !
Old May 15th 2008, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I love autobiographies, I have recently read Richard Hammonds, Russel Brands and Sharon Osbourne, all good reads. I was supposed to get the Lance Armstrong one of AA before he moved but I forgot
Old May 15th 2008, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

In "Hendo's Sporting Heroes", an anthology of British sports greats written by Jon Henderson (Guardian sports columnist for decades), there are one or two genuinely moving stories.

Not tear-jerker stuff perhaps, but there's a particularly poignant piece about Eric "Chariots Of Fire" Liddell, who went off to do missionary work in China after he retired from athletics, was captured by the Japanese during the Sino-Japanese conflict, and died (from a brain tumour, reportedly) in a very unpleasant Japanese POW camp shortly before the end of WW2.

I hadn't been aware of the story until I read the book - no way for an Olympic gold medallist to die.........