British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Speeding in the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/speeding-uae-621127/)

Autonomy Jul 20th 2009 9:25 am

Speeding in the UAE

One for Bison... (where ever he may be)

"Further to a story I wrote for today’s National about young men filming their hopelessly reckless driving and uploading the evidence on YouTube, I’ve decided to list a few of the worst offenders here. Even though many of these young men are driving at speeds of between 150 and 270 (!) kmph on public roads, they seem completely unconcerned about the police finding their identity. Rather, they appear to be bragging about it."

http://www.jengerson.com/?p=717

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2009 10:10 am

Re: Speeding in the UAE

as long as there is no punishment it will continue, like someone commented on the article he had been doing work with young students who had all lost friends in car accidents. Their attitude to his question about why do it then was the typical uneducated attitude of Inshallah.

Robbies Jul 20th 2009 10:51 am

Would be interesting to find out the facts as to whether anyone in these videos, and of the recent one in the National website, actually got a follow up from the police, and more importantly, any fine/points/ban

I have a feeling that I already know the answer to that...

Madam Medusa Jul 20th 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7767448)
as long as there is no punishment it will continue, like someone commented on the article he had been doing work with young students who had all lost friends in car accidents. Their attitude to his question about why do it then was the typical uneducated attitude of Inshallah.

the maddening thing is, i just got two black points for parking on a pavement (and i wasn't blocking anyone or anything), plus a fine...(well, actually, monsieur medusa ended up having to have them on his licence as he went to the police station to sort it out, he was not happy...)...and it pisses me off they take action for something minor, but don't sort out these idiots on the roads...

geez, the police are bad enough, they are always on mobiles and weaving in and out of lanes without indicating...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7767751)
the maddening thing is, i just got two black points for parking on a pavement (and i wasn't blocking anyone or anything), plus a fine...(well, actually, monsieur medusa ended up having to have them on his licence as he went to the police station to sort it out, he was not happy...)...and it pisses me off they take action for something minor, but don't sort out these idiots on the roads...

geez, the police are bad enough, they are always on mobiles and weaving in and out of lanes without indicating...

MM, xx

one rule for one, one for the other, it is quite sickening to say the least.

Madam Medusa Jul 20th 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7767763)
one rule for one, one for the other, it is quite sickening to say the least.

oh totally, the people who own the house opposite the school have wasta...which is why the police have given tickets to anyone parked outside (err...and it's miles from the house, which is massive, lol...)...shame they don't stop the locals triple parking in the middle of the road at prayer time...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2009 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7767783)
oh totally, the people who own the house opposite the school have wasta...which is why the police have given tickets to anyone parked outside (err...and it's miles from the house, which is massive, lol...)...shame they don't stop the locals triple parking in the middle of the road at prayer time...

MM, xx

on the Meadows they park on the Zebra crossing to get into the Mosque! absolute nightmare!

Madam Medusa Jul 20th 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7767824)
on the Meadows they park on the Zebra crossing to get into the Mosque! absolute nightmare!

i know, and i bet they don't get 2 black points...aagghhhh...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Jul 20th 2009 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7767827)
i know, and i bet they don't get 2 black points...aagghhhh...

MM, xx

nope because they have blacked out windows and that makes it all fine ...... sometimes ;)