British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Speed limit to mean the speed allowed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/speed-limit-mean-speed-allowed-700481/)

rowell Jan 13th 2011 3:05 pm

Speed limit to mean the speed allowed

Well i think its about time +10% is good enough never mind 160km/h when the limit is 120. i trust they also then do something about those who stay in middle lanes doing a steady 80

seven seas Jan 13th 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Speed limit to mean the speed allowed

great

MacScot Jan 13th 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 9098826)
Well i think its about time +10% is good enough never mind 160km/h when the limit is 120. i trust they also then do something about those who stay in middle lanes doing a steady 80

Which Emirate or which country? Source URL?

Hello.Kitty Jan 13th 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 9099036)

there was something in 7 days today...

busybee2 Jan 14th 2011 11:37 am

yep but new rules not coming into force for 2 years!

busybee2 Jan 14th 2011 11:38 am

imo they should forget the speed limits but concentrate on actually fining and sorting people out for the bad driving, yes speed contributes, but the majority of the problems is down to bad driving

Norm_uk Jan 15th 2011 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9101003)
imo they should forget the speed limits but concentrate on actually fining and sorting people out for the bad driving, yes speed contributes, but the majority of the problems is down to bad driving

Agreed, speeding isn't an issue usually - it's murderous bastards who don't have any sense of lane discipline, using indicators or giving way for any reason at any time.

Nothing will change significantly unless they bring in proper enforcement of the law either - and that starts by training the police correctly and having them set an good example...they are often just as bad as the other motorists!

N.

rowell Jan 15th 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9100999)
yep but new rules not coming into force for 2 years!

What I believe it said was that they are phasing it in over two years and have already started in areas where speed limit is 40 km/h,

rowell Jan 15th 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 9099036)

starting in AD is what the report said

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...-to-be-reduced

busybee2 Jan 15th 2011 5:02 pm

The changes will take effect in two years’ time in an effort to reduce speed-related accidents, Brig Gen Hussein al Harethi, the head of the Abu Dhabi Police Traffic and Patrol Directorate, said yesterday.

that is where it said two years!

Darkwan Jan 16th 2011 10:49 am

I had a chat about using lanes with some people in my office. They didn't have a clue about what line to drive in or overtaking and returning into ones previous lane.

They should be educating drivers.

Most drivers in the UAE learn to pass the driving test and throw everything out of the window! Mind you I have seen some instructors drive and I've often wondered how they are allowed to teach others.

busybee2 Jan 16th 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 9098826)

the speed limit is 160 not 120 they did a survey a couple of years ago, brought in a swedish co to do a 6 months study and they decided that they would keep the 160 on the 3 roads, but they NEVER actually changed the sign, so new people think the speed limit is 120.