British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Spam. Spam. Spam. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/spam-spam-spam-908570/)

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 29th 2018 9:42 am

Spam. Spam. Spam.

I’m not the brightest when it comes to social media but does spamming ever work?

I’ve just been on another forum and seen that a Dubai nursery has posted on 15 threads that are 4 years old.
Now, if I was a parent, there is no way on earth I’d send my child there on the strength of this alone. The atrocious use of English would be a big no too.

It’s the same when I see other companies do it. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

DXBtoDOH Jan 29th 2018 9:52 am

Re: Spam. Spam. Spam.

Is that expatwoman?

I just remembered it and took a glance. Wow, it's dead. It used to be swingin' back in the day. Always good for laughs. What happened?

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 29th 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12429565)
Is that expatwoman?

I just remembered it and took a glance. Wow, it's dead. It used to be swingin' back in the day. Always good for laughs. What happened?

No, it was Expat Forum. That's pretty dead too (apart from the spammers lol).

Used to be a right bitch fest on Expat Woman, it was brilliant! It's been quieter since they changed the format for some reason.

weasel decentral Jan 29th 2018 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1 (Post 12429561)
I’m not the brightest when it comes to social media but does spamming ever work?

I’ve just been on another forum and seen that a Dubai nursery has posted on 15 threads that are 4 years old.
Now, if I was a parent, there is no way on earth I’d send my child there on the strength of this alone. The atrocious use of English would be a big no too.

It’s the same when I see other companies do it. I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

You can set up an auto spamming kind of program to hit message boards, which will take very little effort and from that if you get even 0.001% of a return on it then it's been worth the little effort you put in.
But as you can see it's pretty crude, and will probably hit on keywords only. Hence resurrecting old threads.For maximum effect you need it to be something less critical than your child's future education!!

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 29th 2018 11:07 am

Only today I saw in the press that celebs have used these 'like farms' to get more followers on social media.

I like spam in a can but not on the tinterwebs.

Arnold S Jan 30th 2018 6:53 am

Not particularly no, but when a company's grasp marketing is getting an intern or junior to do the socials it's what you get.

Autonomy Feb 1st 2018 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Arnold S (Post 12430240)
Not particularly no, but when a company's grasp marketing is getting an intern or junior to do the socials it's what you get.