Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sorting out the BBC............

Sorting out the BBC............

Old Sep 20th 2013, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorting out the BBC............

........... let's see what The Spectator thinks - for me, this is brilliant (I confess to being a hater of the left-wing agenda at the Beeb).

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/...aving-the-bbc/
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:20 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sorting out the BBC............

I agree, I reckon it should be run by people who think the daily mail is left wing...

So that's me and you matey eh?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:20 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

I agree, I reckon it should be run by people who think the daily mail is left wing...

So that's me and you matey eh?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Leader Farrage will sort all that out.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:04 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
........... let's see what The Spectator thinks
Standard bilge intended to give boners to knuckledragging right-wingers who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

And the idea that the BBC has an inherently left-wing bias is hilarious to anyone (such as myself) who has actually worked there, or indeed understands the history of the BBC's relationship with government (for the record, it has upset governments of all political stripes - Harold Wilson, in particular, was convinced that the BBC was spearheading a right-wing conspiracy against him).
Old Sep 21st 2013, 5:02 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Standard bilge intended to give boners to knuckledragging right-wingers who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

And the idea that the BBC has an inherently left-wing bias is hilarious to anyone (such as myself) who has actually worked there, or indeed understands the history of the BBC's relationship with government (for the record, it has upset governments of all political stripes - Harold Wilson, in particular, was convinced that the BBC was spearheading a right-wing conspiracy against him).
Yeah right, the bbc has no left wing bias.

In other news, an unfortunate graphical glitch caused the screen outside the BBCs Salford headquarters to cause some embarrassment to the UKIP leader on the day it was revealed he used to march around singing Hitler youth songs (as claimed by a teacher with an incredibly long memory)

What are the chances of that happening eh?

Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:01 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Yeah right, the bbc has no left wing bias
I doubt you understand the first thing about it. Genuinely. You're just responding to the received opinion of a certain group of right-wingers who claim to want impartiality but actually don't.

What are the chances of that happening eh?
Because of course, the hard-of-thinking assume that the glitch *only* occured when Farrage was on screen, right? They don't consider for a moment that it could have been like that for an extended period of time and made everyone framed in that way look like they had a Hitler moustache. Because the only photo is of Farrage, then only Farrage was affected and of course it *has* to have been deliberate.

Jesus.

If you're not paranoid and understand that stuff like that *does* happen (the internet is full of photos of amusing coincidences that are just that, coincidences), the chances aren't anything unusual.

Last edited by Eeyore; Sep 21st 2013 at 9:05 am.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 10:18 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt you understand the first thing about it. Genuinely. You're just responding to the received opinion of a certain group of right-wingers who claim to want impartiality but actually don't.

Because of course, the hard-of-thinking assume that the glitch *only* occured when Farrage was on screen, right? They don't consider for a moment that it could have been like that for an extended period of time and made everyone framed in that way look like they had a Hitler moustache. Because the only photo is of Farrage, then only Farrage was affected and of course it *has* to have been deliberate.

Jesus.

If you're not paranoid and understand that stuff like that *does* happen (the internet is full of photos of amusing coincidences that are just that, coincidences), the chances aren't anything unusual.
Erm the picture was meant as a bit of fun.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 10:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Jesus.

My god you're condescending.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:00 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

So why did a BBC internal report 2 years ago conclude the BBC had an inherent left wing bias and look to identify measures to resolve the problem.

The fact you worked there probably indicates to others you were part of the problem not an informed observer - a mistake to mention it as it weakens your credibility!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hilarious............... BBC accused of left-wing bias.............. left-wing man who admits he used to work there insults so-called right-wingers.......... QED.

Whatever.............. the core of the argument is to revamp its means of funding, which would be long overdue. As we have mentioned before on these pages, the way BBC bosses refer to the general public as 'shareholders' really irritates - I have no choice about buying the shares (even if I choose to watch only ITV, C4 and Sky, I still have to buy a license to fund the BBC), I do not get to attend an AGM, and I do not get the chance to vote on salaries, etc - and a year later, the shares are worthless (I know this, because a nice man from the Licensing Authority writes to me and tells me I have to invest a new sum of money for another year, and that my previous investment has expired worthless). Shareholders? Ridiculous.

Let's have advertising and/or direct subscription, with no service to those who prefer not to choose that package.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 2:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sorting out the BBC............

I know little about television media though I do enjoy BBC shows and documentaries. Actually as a public service it performs its duties well.

It seems to me the BBC does do unique and interesting work because it isn’t constrained by a commercial model, however like most I can see there is a need for greater accountability and organisational reform. I just hope they don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.

As for political bias at the BBC you often hear this accusation bandied about (since pre-WW2 I think ) but it seems pretty representative of political views in the UK to me and certainly doesn’t appear to act to stifle debate or hide factual information.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:39 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
So why did a BBC internal report 2 years ago conclude the BBC had an inherent left wing bias
That's not actually what it said. And it was 6 years ago.

The fact you worked there probably indicates to others you were part of the problem not an informed observer - a mistake to mention it as it weakens your credibility!
Yes, because there's so much credibility on display on a forum where just about everybody hides behind a fake name, isn't there? As as far as being an "informed observer" is concerned, I would put money on my having a much better understanding of the situation than anybody here who *hasn't* worked for the BBC.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:44 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

That's not actually what it said. And it was 6 years ago. sorry 6 years ago but oh yes it did

Yes, because there's so much credibility on display on a forum where just about everybody hides behind a fake name, isn't there? As as far as being an "informed observer" is concerned, I would put money on my having a much better understanding of the situation than anybody here who *hasn't* worked for the BBC.
yeah right
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:51 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hilarious............... BBC accused of left-wing bias.............. left-wing man who admits he used to work there insults so-called right-wingers.......... QED
Which is about the depth of analysis I'd expect.

y BBC bosses refer to the general public as 'shareholders' really irritates - I have no choice about buying the shares (even if I choose to watch only ITV, C4 and Sky, I still have to buy a license to fund the BBC)
That's because the BBC is a public service. You might as well complain about the all public services that income tax pays for but which you personally may never use.

And of course, even if you never watch or listen to any BBC service (which is incredibly unlikely), you're still paying for television when you go shopping. A proportion of the price of just about everything you buy goes towards TV advertising. And where would satellite TV be without the BBC to produce most of its programming? Look at all the most popular secondary channels, such as Dave, and you'll find that the vast majority of their output is BBC programming.

Let's have advertising and/or direct subscription, with no service to those who prefer not to choose that package.
You do realise that if the BBC switched to an advertising model, it would decimate the income of the existing commercial channels, many of which would be forced to close? There is only so much advertising money to go round, and if the BBC became eligible to receive it, it would grab a colossal chunk of it.

Fortunately, the general opinion among the British public still seems to be that the last thing they want is advertising on the BBC. As it becomes further and further deregulated on the commercial channels (meaning longer breaks more frequently), it's making them more and more unwatchable.

Direct subscription is a slightly less unpalatable option, but it's still a demonstration of being aware of the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.