Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Somewhere to live and at what cost???

Somewhere to live and at what cost???

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:17 am
Just Joined

woodywoodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Somewhere to live and at what cost???

Hi There everyone,

I (we) are curently in the middle of an interview process for teaching jobs in Abu Dhabi. I think we (my wife and I) have a reasonable chance of success and have had been offered some pleasing numbers with regard to a packages should we get the jobs. However the sticking point (or am I over reacting) is the annual allocation for the accommodation, which is set at 120000 AED yr ... There are 4 of us including our two young children and I want to live in a house not a flat (Villa do you call them?), I suppose my questions is is this enough to get a nice place in a nice area. and if so where should we be looking / who should we approch (any recommendations for agents) and finally whats the procedure for renting - are they usually enpty, do you pay an agent anything / can you decorate etc etc. just how does it work... I hate not knowing stuff... and really hope that some of you have been through this , and do.

cheers Woody.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere to live and at what cost???

try using the search button at the top of the page there is a lot of info out there. These questions have been asked over and over.
make sure schooling is included in your package too.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=3003633

Oh and..welcome to the bored.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a 4-bed villa off 29th street. Not compound quality but European neighbours.

Pay 126k per annum (111k to landlord; 15k to maintenance guy). 10 mins from Brit School and Brighton College (equidistant).

Probably vacating in Summer to move away. Let me know if you fancy it.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I'm in a 4-bed villa off 29th street. Not compound quality but European neighbours.

Pay 126k per annum (111k to landlord; 15k to maintenance guy). 10 mins from Brit School and Brighton College (equidistant).

Probably vacating in Summer to move away. Let me know if you fancy it.
Woodywoodster - this is a very good deal and you probably won't better it in Abu Dhabi. I lived there for a couple of years in a 4 bed and paid over double that (that was during the boom years though...) No incentive for me or Saudiflares to try and sell it to you, just stating facts....

Check out dubizzle.com for some comparisons....
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all for taking the time.... much appreciated ... 'O' and hello.

My Potential employer wont negotiate and say that agents are not the way forward and 120000 is a fair wack...which I guess is fair enough (what do I know) . We get put in service accommodation on arrival (not sure how long for) and then have to get out / get our own gaff... sometime in September. It was originally advertised as including furnished accommodation so it has caught us a bit off guard. I am now thinking do I need to buy / ship out cookers / fridges / beds etc...where do they all go (do they get stored in AD till I need them)... can I not get furnished (or is this way to expensive).
I must be naive as I had this little utopian view of us pitching up in a nice little development with other ex pats...all the kids playing together, but I see hastle and agro way ahead and to be honest its rather putting me off. Anyway - last interview in the morning, then it will be decision time. Thankyou saudiflares for your offer - which may well be great but I dont think I can say at this point, as I have no clue whats going on - and will need todiscuss the whole thing with my wife. Do you have any UK neighbours / kids ...and do you have any photos you could send of the place in question. Finally is it furnished (would it have anything left in it). Is it a renter your leaving or your own place...?? sorry for the questions- Cheers Woody

ps - am I being thick..could anyone post a link to the bit of the forum that will let me read further about related issues (Im just not finding it).... Thanks Patsy for the heads up.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

worked out the search now...sorry for being so thick Patsy!!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodywoodster
worked out the search now...sorry for being so thick Patsy!!
No problem, it can be very daunting moving to a new country, especially the UAE
Things have a habit of working out ok though, if you are careful.
Make sure that you dot the i's and cross the t's. If after your final interview you don't feel happy then follow your instincts.
Have you asked them to bring you out for a look see? Also, can you tell us which school is going to employ you..that will help people here make a judgement as to whether they are a good bet or not.
Don't sign anything until you are sure.
If they are paying for your relocation then bring everything out..you can always "mark it up" and sell it on Dubizzle
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably worth me mentioning that I have received quite a few letters from teachers in AD over the past few months. Most are leaving as they are unhappy and are not being well treated by the schools. Bear in mind that government schools are not subject to UAE Labour Law, so they can get away with far too much.

Be careful.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

The school I am looking at is Al Yasmina. I was impressed with what I have read / seen to date and the staff I have talked to have been very nice & professional. Is this regarded as a good school and is there a good place to stay in relation to going there every day. My children would also be attending - Thankyou.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

The school I am looking at is Al Yasmina. I was impressed with what I have read / seen to date and the staff I have talked to have been very nice & professional. Is this regarded as a good school and is there a good place to stay in relation to going there every day. My children would also be attending - Thankyou.
Al raha gardens is the one for you. Cheapest villas now 150000+5%
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks saudiflares

Al raha gardens is quite close to the school and I found a 3 bedroom town house at 145 000 which would need a bit of offsetting, but not he end of the world... It has made me feel more positive. I have also been told today that we would get a furniture allowance to go with the shipping allowance, so again that is good.
I have also been told that lots of places are found through word of mouth / people recommending people etc. If we get employed, I think we'll take a '5 dayer' out there in June and have a scout about...

Can anyone recommend a hotel they or their friends may have stayed at??

cheers Woody
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Thanks saudiflares

Al raha gardens is quite close to the school and I found a 3 bedroom town house at 145 000 which would need a bit of offsetting, but not he end of the world... It has made me feel more positive. I have also been told today that we would get a furniture allowance to go with the shipping allowance, so again that is good.
I have also been told that lots of places are found through word of mouth / people recommending people etc. If we get employed, I think we'll take a '5 dayer' out there in June and have a scout about...

Can anyone recommend a hotel they or their friends may have stayed at??

cheers Woody
If that school is near Al Raha gdns and that bit of AD then just stay on Yas Island, the Radisson Blu is really nice.

Either that or get into the centre of AD on the Corniche and treat your Mrs to the Sheraton.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
If that school is near Al Raha gdns and that bit of AD then just stay on Yas Island, the Radisson Blu is really nice.

Either that or get into the centre of AD on the Corniche and treat your Mrs to the Sheraton.
If you are going to splash the cash stay in the Westin at Abu Dhabi Golf Course. Will give you a great feel for the area. Close to Yasmina. Avoid Al Raha Beach Hotel.

Loads of new villas and apartments being built aroound the back of Abu Dhabi GC which may well be available in the summer and be ideal for Al Yasmina. Buyers market although rents have been pretty high of late.

Traders at Qaryat Al Beri may be a fair priced option too.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:11 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Crowne plaza is as good as anywhere on Yas and cheaper.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Crowne plaza is as good as anywhere on Yas and cheaper.
I haven't stayed there so can't recommend it.

However I did hear that all hotels on that little complex on Yas are much of a muchness, the Radisson just happens to get more sun and have a better view than others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.