Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sometimes, simple words carry powerful emotions......

Sometimes, simple words carry powerful emotions......

Old May 26th 2008, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sometimes, simple words carry powerful emotions......

This has been sent to me by a friend of many Riyadh and Dubai years standing who is now living in security-gated retirement near Johannesburg. He was originally from Southern Rhodesia (sic)........

Zimbabwean Drums

The drums are calling old man, and they are louder by the day.
They are calling you to judgment and now's the time to pay
For the wrongs you've done your country and the trust betrayed.
So hear those drums swelling, hear well and be afraid.

You came to power on waves of hope that you would make your mark,
In a land that shone in Africa like diamonds in the dark.
In simple faith the people put their trust in your care,
And were repaid by the Fifth Brigade and the CIO and fear.
Twenty eight years of motorcades and lavish trips abroad
A nation’s heritage is lost through patronage and fraud.
The Chiefs grow fat while people starve and famine stalks our homes.
On idle farms the weeds grow rank and cover cattle bones.
The youth are taught your slogans but even as they sing
The drums of change are beating for the truth is seeping in.
The demagogue has feet of clay and lies will not sustain
The shattered land that once seemed free and will be so again.
Too late to blame the drought, the Brits, the whites, the MDC.
For all know where the finger points with cold finality.

So hear the drums, old man, and listen to them well,
They foretell of your final days and they have much to tell.
For he who sows the seeds of hate will reap the grapes of wrath,
So tremble in your bed at night, at the end of your sorry path.

(Unknown)
Old May 26th 2008, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sometimes, simple words carry powerful emotions......

lets hope he hears the drums.

its terrible what is happening in South Africa at the moment. Black south Africans murdering refugees from Zimbabwe who are only there because the South African government has constantly refused to stand up to the plate and stop supporting Mugabe!

Mbeki has a lot of blood on his hands!
Old May 27th 2008, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

food for thought for today...

MM, xx
Old May 27th 2008, 6:02 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me havnt had breakfast yet!....
I wouldnt last long without food!....
Old May 27th 2008, 7:12 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Mbeki has a lot of blood on his hands!
I honestly thought the poem was about Mugabe rather than Mbeki, but I might be wrong
Old May 27th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Zimbabwae: what a screwed up country.....

Rhodesia: what a beautiful country ruined..
Old May 27th 2008, 7:43 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad

yup
Old May 27th 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad

both of them!
Old May 27th 2008, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
I honestly thought the poem was about Mugabe rather than Mbeki, but I might be wrong
the Poem is about Mugabe but Mugabe would be long gone if it wasn't for the support of Mbeki. Mbeki is just as responsible as Mugabe for the fate of Zimbabweans in Zimbabwe and in South Africa.

South Africa had a great leader in Mandela. Mbeki has been a disaster and Zuma will probably be worse.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i have never been, but wife and my in-laws/grandparents are all Rhodesians, my wife was born in Salisbury..some of the stories of which i wouldnt go into on here are truly amazing around the mid to late 70's

I doubt they will ever return though..and that is tragic..

My home is Arbroath, its a dump but its always home. to know i could never go back there would break my heart..
Old May 27th 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

the Poem is about Mugabe but Mugabe would be long gone if it wasn't for the support of Mbeki. Mbeki is just as responsible as Mugabe for the fate of Zimbabweans in Zimbabwe and in South Africa.

South Africa had a great leader in Mandela. Mbeki has been a disaster and Zuma will probably be worse.
Nelson 'Take The Book Royalties And Run' Mandela?

I'll reserve judgment on his greatness until I have heard him actively trying to intervene to stop Mugabe's destruction of a once beautiful - and wealthy - nation. No obligation or reason why he should get involved at all in a foreign country's internal matters of course, but he is now regarded as a great international statesman rather than a 'mere' former South African leader.

If there is one person who might be able, at least, to use his considerable influence to talk Mugabe into a 'dignified' exile, it is Mandela. But for now, the silence is deafening......
Old May 27th 2008, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean

I'll reserve judgment on his greatness until I have heard him actively trying to intervene to stop Mugabe's destruction of a once beautiful - and wealthy - nation. No obligation or reason why he should get involved at all in a foreign country's internal matters of course, but he is now regarded as a great international statesman rather than a 'mere' former South African leader.

If there is one person who might be able, at least, to use his considerable influence to talk Mugabe into a 'dignified' exile, it is Mandela. But for now, the silence is deafening......

a Bullet to the head should put Mugabe into exile!
Old May 27th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

They have been trying that for decades

They just couldnt get close enough..
Old May 27th 2008, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes of course - but wouldn't Mandela's reputation be even higher if he could talk him out of office 'peacefully'?
Old May 27th 2008, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean

which former leader hasnt done that?
At least he didnt line his own coffers with money from the state like practically every other post-colonial leader in Africa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.