British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Something I found very odd (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/something-i-found-very-odd-564990/)

googlemonster Oct 3rd 2008 3:15 pm

Something I found very odd

Were women wearing abayas or burkas at wild wadi :confused: I found it kind of funny really, because it was a juxtaposition of some Florida based theme parks with women in bikinis

MataHari Oct 3rd 2008 3:44 pm

Re: Something I found very odd

what's odd about it....these women live here and like to go out and about just like other people do...

Alexa Oct 3rd 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by googlemonster (Post 6841804)
Were women wearing abayas or burkas at wild wadi :confused: I found it kind of funny really, because it was a juxtaposition of some Florida based theme parks with women in bikinis

I think your thinking it is odd, is rather odd...don't you think?:blink:

googlemonster Oct 3rd 2008 9:00 pm

Just looks alien, I don't like this ideology, it doesn't make arabian men any less prone to thinking of sex or wanting it, not really sure it helps anyone, do they like to parade around in these black robes hidden away in 40c heat at a water park? This is why Dubai will never be accepted wholesale until they get rid of this medievil way of thinking.

Spugsy Oct 3rd 2008 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by googlemonster (Post 6842634)
Just looks alien, I don't like this ideology, it doesn't make arabian men any less prone to thinking of sex or wanting it, not really sure it helps anyone, do they like to parade around in these black robes hidden away in 40c heat at a water park? This is why Dubai will never be accepted wholesale until they get rid of this medievil way of thinking.

it's called tradition mate, and they don't want to be accepted wholesale, whats odd to you isn't odd to them, or us who've been here for a while.

Eva Oct 3rd 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by googlemonster (Post 6841804)

Didn't you expect themeparks then?
In the desert?

soukie Oct 3rd 2008 9:34 pm

I think you are in the wrong part of the world if you consider the dress code of local woman odd.

Eva Oct 3rd 2008 9:39 pm

Omg- a moment!!! Soukie- I concur.

googlemonster Oct 4th 2008 1:10 am

I like their dress code in malls, in fact they look elegant, I don't like the full veil at all though, and on the damn water park it's down right ridiculous. :)

googlemonster Oct 4th 2008 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6842669)
it's called tradition mate, and they don't want to be accepted wholesale, whats odd to you isn't odd to them, or us who've been here for a while.

Some others might say it's repression.

Spugsy Oct 4th 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by googlemonster (Post 6843018)
Some others might say it's repression.

but not them by all accounts, they love dressing like that.

Blue Cat Oct 4th 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6843214)
but not them by all accounts, they love dressing like that.

but do they? if they love it so much why do the majority of them ditch their black look at the airport. Swimming fully clothed just pees me off. There are suits that the muslim ladies can buy for swimming which covers the necessary bits. They could end up dead :(

Confucius Oct 4th 2008 10:10 am

:)

Alexa Oct 4th 2008 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6843463)
but do they? if they love it so much why do the majority of them ditch their black look at the airport. Swimming fully clothed just pees me off. There are suits that the muslim ladies can buy for swimming which covers the necessary bits. They could end up dead :(

Agree to that......but did they actually swim, or did they just accompany the family?

There are certain rules in Western compounds in KSA, no abayas etc. in the pool, don't know what the situation is in Dubai...:/

googlemonster Oct 4th 2008 1:36 pm

They swim around with full ninja kit rofl.