British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Someone on here will be disappointed!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/someone-here-will-disappointed-496919/)

Inselaffen Nov 29th 2007 11:35 am

Someone on here will be disappointed!!

Smiths Star Morrissey Embroiled In 'Racism' Row

(Thursday November 29, 2007 11:27 AM)
Singer Morrissey has sparked controversy by claiming British identity has disappeared because the country has been "flooded" by foreigners. The 48-year-old former Smiths star, whose parents were Irish immigrants, suggested that immigration was one of the reasons he would not move back to Britain.

Morrissey, who has spent most of the last decade living in LA and Rome, told NME magazine that countries like Germany still had their own identity and complained of not hearing "British accents" on the streets.

Asked whether he would move back to Britain, he said: "Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you.

"Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears.

"So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to England and you have no idea where you are.

He added: "It matters because the British identity is very attractive. I grew up into it, and I find it quaint and very amusing. But England is a memory now."

He agreed that immigration was enriching the British identity but added "you have to say goodbye to the Britain you once knew".

In a follow-up phone interview, Morrissey told the magazine: "I just think that it could be construed that the reason I wouldn't wish to live in England is the immigration explosion.

"And that's not true at all. I am actually extremely worldly and there are other reasons why I would find England very difficult, such as the expense and the pressure."

He said: "My favourite actor is an Israeli, Lior Ashkenazi, and my favourite singer was born in Iraq and now lives in Egypt. So I'm not a part of Little Britain. And by that, I don't mean the show, obviously."

Asked about his parents moving to Britain, he said: "It's different now. Because the gates are flooded. And anybody can have access to England and join in."

Admitting that he would be "pilloried" for his comments, he added: "You can't say, 'Everybody come into my house, sit on the bed, have what you like, do what you like.' It wouldn't work."

NME wrote: "Morrissey, the son of immigrants who has lived for most of the past decade in either LA or Rome, wants others to have the freedom to travel the world like him, but implies he would shut the gates to people coming to live in the UK.

"He might once have been the voice of a generation, but given his comments in these two interviews, he's certainly not speaking for us now."

Bubbauk Nov 29th 2007 11:49 am

Re: Someone on here will be disappointed!!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5613947)
Smiths Star Morrissey Embroiled In 'Racism' Row

(Thursday November 29, 2007 11:27 AM)
Singer Morrissey has sparked controversy by claiming British identity has disappeared because the country has been "flooded" by foreigners. The 48-year-old former Smiths star, whose parents were Irish immigrants, suggested that immigration was one of the reasons he would not move back to Britain.

Morrissey, who has spent most of the last decade living in LA and Rome, told NME magazine that countries like Germany still had their own identity and complained of not hearing "British accents" on the streets.

Asked whether he would move back to Britain, he said: "Britain's a terribly negative place. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you.

"Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears.

"So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to Sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to England and you have no idea where you are.

He added: "It matters because the British identity is very attractive. I grew up into it, and I find it quaint and very amusing. But England is a memory now."

He agreed that immigration was enriching the British identity but added "you have to say goodbye to the Britain you once knew".

In a follow-up phone interview, Morrissey told the magazine: "I just think that it could be construed that the reason I wouldn't wish to live in England is the immigration explosion.

"And that's not true at all. I am actually extremely worldly and there are other reasons why I would find England very difficult, such as the expense and the pressure."

He said: "My favourite actor is an Israeli, Lior Ashkenazi, and my favourite singer was born in Iraq and now lives in Egypt. So I'm not a part of Little Britain. And by that, I don't mean the show, obviously."

Asked about his parents moving to Britain, he said: "It's different now. Because the gates are flooded. And anybody can have access to England and join in."

Admitting that he would be "pilloried" for his comments, he added: "You can't say, 'Everybody come into my house, sit on the bed, have what you like, do what you like.' It wouldn't work."

NME wrote: "Morrissey, the son of immigrants who has lived for most of the past decade in either LA or Rome, wants others to have the freedom to travel the world like him, but implies he would shut the gates to people coming to live in the UK.

"He might once have been the voice of a generation, but given his comments in these two interviews, he's certainly not speaking for us now."

Not me. Never really liked him anyway

why Nov 29th 2007 11:52 am

he's one of those artist that only "cool" people from the 80's liked......not so cool now.....

Blue Cat Nov 29th 2007 12:09 pm

oh dear MM aint gonna be happy when she sees this :(

Madam Medusa Nov 29th 2007 12:19 pm

well...he's been involved in this sort of row before when he released National Front Disco and had the England flag as the backdrop to the supporting tour...

to be honest, i take it with a pinch of salt, i don't for one minute believe the guy is racist...but NME has a bad track record with him so i'm sure it's been reported in a biased manor...

whatever...i still sooo would, lol...

MM, xx

Madam Medusa Nov 29th 2007 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by why (Post 5614018)
he's one of those artist that only "cool" people from the 80's liked......not so cool now.....

that's just not true, he is an icon...not many other artists can have a sell out global tour whilst they are not even signed to a record company. Even if you don't like his solo stuff, he has lifelong street cred cos of The Smiths...even the music critics who hate him don't dispute that...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Nov 29th 2007 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5614115)
well...he's been involved in this sort of row before when he released National Front Disco and had the England flag as the backdrop to the supporting tour...

to be honest, i take it with a pinch of salt, i don't for one minute believe the guy is racist...but NME has a bad track record with him so i'm sure it's been reported in a biased manor...

whatever...i still sooo would, lol...

MM, xx

well didnt think u liked him for his political views anyway.
might make that threesome with young Lewis a bit more difficult to organise though

Madam Medusa Nov 29th 2007 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5614124)
well didnt think u liked him for his political views anyway.
might make that threesome with young Lewis a bit more difficult to organise though

lmao...

MM, xx

Barrie Nov 29th 2007 12:25 pm

I have never been a Morrissey fan. His singing bores the life out of me.

The BBC news webiste says....
Morrissey insists on NME apology

Morrissey denies his comments were racist
Morrissey's lawyers have threatened legal action against the NME unless the magazine publishes an apology for an article about the former Smiths star.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7118412.stm

Madam Medusa Nov 29th 2007 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5614137)
I have never been a Morrissey fan. His singing bores the life out of me.

The BBC news webiste says....
Morrissey insists on NME apology

Morrissey denies his comments were racist
Morrissey's lawyers have threatened legal action against the NME unless the magazine publishes an apology for an article about the former Smiths star.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7118412.stm

what did i say, lol...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Nov 29th 2007 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5614144)
what did i say, lol...

MM, xx

you said you so wud!

Barrie Nov 29th 2007 12:32 pm

If he didn't have a record deal before this, he will certainly have the record companies chasing him with one now, with all the publicity this has got him!!!!!

Madam Medusa Nov 29th 2007 12:36 pm

no he's been signed to Sanctuary for the last few years...his last album and singles all did pretty well...

there are ALWAYS record companies after him...he's just picky, lol

MM, xx

Barrie Nov 29th 2007 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5614178)
no he's been signed to Sanctuary for the last few years...his last album and singles all did pretty well...

there are ALWAYS record companies after him...he's just picky, lol

MM, xx

I am sensing a serious Morrissey fan.

I wasn't being nasty when I said I didn't like him earlier!!!!!

Dig, Dig, Dig!!!!

Is this hole I am standing in getting bigger?

Madam Medusa Nov 29th 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5614198)
I am sensing a serious Morrissey fan.

I wasn't being nasty when I said I didn't like him earlier!!!!!

Dig, Dig, Dig!!!!

Is this hole I am standing in getting bigger?

he is the love of my life, lol...but i do realise that he's not everyones cup of tea, don't worry...

MM, xx