Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Some research - your views wanted

Some research - your views wanted

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some research - your views wanted

I have some serious questions for you. This is research for a radio show early next week (Dubai Eye Monday 6th August 10am - 12pm) and I'm interested to get some of your views and opinions to include. The topic is 'women in the workplace'.

1. Are there really equal opportunities? Globally + UAE specifically
2. Is sexism still prevalent in the workplace?
3. Do men and women approach business differently?
4. What mistakes do women make in the workplace that can be detrimental?

Your thoughts would be appreciated and I want to include views from both men and women. Comment specific to the UAE is particularly useful.

Thanks (and please try and be constructive)
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:42 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some research - your views wanted

Comments below.
[
QUOTE=Meow;10206664]I have some serious questions for you. This is research for a radio show early next week (Dubai Eye Monday 6th August 10am - 12pm) and I'm interested to get some of your views and opinions to include. The topic is 'women in the workplace'.

In the company I work for, yes. Sales and Professional Services both have senior female managers.

Yes. Massively - some of the comments from blokes in our office (openly) are jaw-dropping.

Women in my company seem to have to prove themselves more - maybe why they are spinsters.

Crying. Yes, I've seen female project managers in tears.

Your thoughts would be appreciated and I want to include views from both men and women. Comment specific to the UAE is particularly useful.

Thanks (and please try and be constructive) [/QUOTE]
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:49 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I have some serious questions for you. This is research for a radio show early next week (Dubai Eye Monday 6th August 10am - 12pm) and I'm interested to get some of your views and opinions to include. The topic is 'women in the workplace'.

1. In construction, and O&G certainly not equal opportunities. In design maybe closer to being equal but still a long way off. Much worse in the ME than Europe for discrimination.

2. Sexism but not the harassment (in the ME)

3. Yes but without going too deeply into it women are poor compromisers (IMO before I get shot down all over the place). I find dealing with a woman at my level there is a sense that any concession is viewed as losing.

4. See 3 and also should not take business/work personally.

Last edited by weasel decentral; Aug 2nd 2012 at 11:50 am. Reason: spaces baby
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

In my shop yes. We have targets on employing women and have females at senior levels all through the organisation. A target we consistently miss in the UAE though it must be said as they simply do not apply for jobs with us. We get c.150 applications for a role in the region - about 3 will be from women.

Alhamdulillah.

Yes. Women are more diligent and the ugly ones generally more committed.

Taking things too personally and 'respecting the hierarchy' too much. Oh, and forgetting the sugar - that is atrocious.

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 11:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Weasel, I won't shoot you down when I am asking for your experiences. Could you explain the 'poor compromisers' statement in some more detail for me? Thanks

I think it's a fascinating subject. but there is no single correct opinion (unless you're a sexist pig) and it may encourage some to answer if I say that I think that some women do themselves a disservice in the work place by dressing or behaving inappropriately. It's not the place for flirty clothes (kittycat1's workplace excepted!) or giggly, gossipy cliques.

I also think that women like management by consensus more than men. Generally speaking, that is. We aren't all the same.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a global engineering / manufacturing company. Globally I believe that the opportunities are there, but there are almost no women in engineering roles, and relatively few in senior management roles.
UAE-wise, we have no women in engineering roles, only one in a management role, and nearly all our admin staff are female. The company supports equal opportunities, but the business environment works against it.

Globally generally no. In the UAE in our company, no (largely). In the region among our customers, yes.

I've never worked in an environment where the number of women comes even close to the number of men in equivalent roles, so eking out the differences is difficult. That said, I've experienced men approaching business in so many different ways that they must cover the entire gamut of possibilities. I believe that the approach taken by men of each nationality / ethnicity is quite distinct, markedly more different that the difference between the sexes.

Assuming that all men think and act the same. Which is quite sexist, really...
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Bored liberal

If anyone want to comment privately, please send me a PM or an email. I appreciate that not everyone likes to comment on some issues on a public forum.

Bahtatboy - fair comment about some women assuming that all men think and act the same. These things do cut both ways.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:02 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Weasel, I won't shoot you down when I am asking for your experiences. Could you explain the 'poor compromisers' statement in some more detail for me? Thanks
I am basing this on people who are in their positions due to merit, rather than any managers appointed due to nepotism etc.

I find in any sort of negotiations where my opposite number is female, that there is not much give and take, this position is made worse if she works for the client.
I find the direct opposite to consensus as you say, its usually conflict management. Yes I am generalising here, but there is a certain immaturity to be found in general dealings, or not seeing the overall picture.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:54 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Globally yes, in the ME, no chance. Can you imagine a local taking orders from a "Second Class citizen" woman. Until there is equality in their homes there will never be equality in the workplace.

Massively, In the car trade I have male customers that will not talk to female Sales Execs. I personally employ females as I find they can deal with local women much easier than a man. The Male Sales Execs will generally order them around....

In my experience the men are much harder on customers than the women, though less inclined to talk a load of shit to get a sale

Taking more time off than males....

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

So that would be Siobhan's show? [Hint: please try to avoid the going-round-in-circles that a lot of discussions descend into on her show - not usually her fault though]

I cannot possibly mention my previous Dubai employer (so there's no point holding me to it) where attitudes to women were a disgrace, but I'm currently working for a bank that puts women first second and third in terms of opportunities - we took on about twenty graduates last year - only two were male, and one of those has already left.

A number of our branch managers are women in their late-twenties or early-thirties - and are uniformly excellent.

More broadly, I usually find sexism on the part of male workers towards female colleagues is born out of fear - they know the women, like for like, are better at the job than they are, and desperately try to find something to cling to in order to protect their own positions.

Different approaches? Women are perfectionists, mostly, seeking to achieve 100 percent success in reaching a target. That's not a criticism as such, but sometimes perfection is impossible, and men tend to realise that more quickly.

More later.......... perhaps (but see Olympics thread - I'll be 'busy' today - go Jess).
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:27 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The Dean
So that would be Siobhan's show? [Hint: please try to avoid the going-round-in-circles that a lot of discussions descend into on her show - not usually her fault though]

No, Siobhan is on at 12pm, I am always on Dubai Today and if you had ever listened to me, you'd know I get to the point.

Interestingly, I have had quite contracting views from people, which leads me to conclude that there is no one answer (think we knew that) but that it varies by industry as much as anything else.

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

can you conclude with something like.

'All women are bitches, and the men are ****ing useless'
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:35 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
can you conclude with something like.

'All women are bitches, and the men are ****ing useless'

See posts passim...
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

I used to live in Bahrain and I'd say no there..but now I live in Norway and I'd say women are favoured. My boss is female, every job interview I went to was with females.

Yes..token females everywhere.

Women, depending on whether or not they have kids, behave vastly different. They are not as harsh as men, but approach business at a much more personal level I've found, but also more protective..much like a mother. (am I being sexist now?)

Cry. It's not personal, but I've seen it time and time again.

Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:49 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Saw this today if it helps

http://dohanews.co/post/28185330309/...ivide-in-qatar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.