Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:05 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Oh and this from his blog..................

Generally a maid is on call 24 hours a day to look after unruly fat brats. To cook, clean, shop (if they are allowed out alone, which is very unusual). They usually have tiny rooms with a bed and not much else. They are not allowed friends or relationships of any kind and are often have a poor diet and no access to phone or Internet to contact their family

Another load of bollocks!!

I give my maid 2 days off a week and a months holiday every year, as her contract states. She has a Tv/laptop/internet connection etc. Her room has a shower room ensuite,A/C ,etc.
She has her own fridge, buys her food when she goes shopping ( on my bill) sees her friends and husband as and when she likes after her working day. Takes care of my house, looks after me..no kids..no husband and has been with me for 6 years... I must be doing something right!!! also, everybody I know treats their maids the same as I do.
do you chain her up at night though?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
do you chain her up at night though?
Only if she asks me nicely
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Sorry Patsy, but the truth about housemaids here is, that a big number have to live in the circumstances this guy is describing. And I don't think we should close our eyes to it. Of course, there are the few lucky ones, who work for people like you and me, where they get proper payment and treatment. But after 10+years in the ME I can only confirm his statement and have seen such treatment even from Europeans!
I do realise that darling, Tess often tells me that the maids here in Al Barsha working for locals ask her to find out if I can get them a job with a "Western expat" family because they don't get days off and are working long hours etc.
I am not blind to it at all. I just hate the whole constant Dubai bashing that goes on when "some" people blame Dubai for all their woes.
I love working and living in Dubai but I guess I am "that shallow vacuous person"
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it all comes down to an individuals perspective on life, I did my research before moving here however having never lived abroad before I have had a few smacks around the chops and admit I was somewhat naive, several promises have been overlooked, however for me to make being here worth my while financially I need to stick it out and it would be easy to moan about everything but wheres that going to get me- nowhere, but it would just make me feel decidedly sorry for myself! Yes I miss home and if I could do it all again with the wisdom of hindsight there are several things I would have done differently, however I'm here now so you just get on with it. No regrets I say, if you get a crap hand in life laugh it off and move on, there's always those worse off than you!

Kittycat
x
Old Mar 24th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I think it all comes down to an individuals perspective on life, I did my research before moving here however having never lived abroad before I have had a few smacks around the chops and admit I was somewhat naive, several promises have been overlooked, however for me to make being here worth my while financially I need to stick it out and it would be easy to moan about everything but wheres that going to get me- nowhere, but it would just make me feel decidedly sorry for myself! Yes I miss home and if I could do it all again with the wisdom of hindsight there are several things I would have done differently, however I'm here now so you just get on with it. No regrets I say, if you get a crap hand in life laugh it off and move on, there's always those worse off than you!

Kittycat
x
* Patsy applauds*
Old Mar 24th 2010, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
* Patsy applauds*
Of course there are plenty of people doing well in Dubai - it's Dubai itself that's in trouble.

I wish I could see how things were going to improve, but to survive at all, Dubai will need to attract millions of tourists every year - to a place where you get jailed for having a speck of used joint stuck to the sole of your shoe, and for kissing in a restaurant at 2am..........

Dubai has shown that, if you lend money to it, it won't/can't repay you, but new money will be needed to complete projects like Dubailand and Bawadi.

Apart from that, the future's bright.............
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Of course there are plenty of people doing well in Dubai - it's Dubai itself that's in trouble.

I wish I could see how things were going to improve, but to survive at all, Dubai will need to attract millions of tourists every year - to a place where you get jailed for having a speck of used joint stuck to the sole of your shoe, and for kissing in a restaurant at 2am..........

Dubai has shown that, if you lend money to it, it won't/can't repay you, but new money will be needed to complete projects like Dubailand and Bawadi.

Apart from that, the future's bright.............
it's still a better option than the catastrophe that is the uk as far as i'm concerned...

MM, xx
Old Mar 25th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it's still a better option than the catastrophe that is the uk as far as i'm concerned...

MM, xx
I agree, I haven't been back there for 20 years and have no intention of doing so except for a visit.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Dubai a better bet for individuals? Yes of course.........

The country? Agree with you totally, but at least it's possible to see a way out of the UK mess (albeit long-term, painful, etc), but I still can't see how Dubai will ever get back to its former glories (which we now know were illusory anyway).