Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:03 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

... thought you guys might be interested...

(could be boiled down to don't leave then re-enter the country when you may be absconding... or accepting a job at a dodgy company, but hey.... what do I know)

anyway - interesting reading:-

http://ominousdubai.blogspot.com/200...-in-dubai.html

http://lagirlindubai.blogspot.com/
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some people "trapped" in Dubai for a bit...

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
... thought you guys might be interested...

(could be boiled down to don't leave then re-enter the country when you may be absconding... or accepting a job at a dodgy company, but hey.... what do I know)

anyway - interesting reading:-

http://ominousdubai.blogspot.com/200...-in-dubai.html

http://lagirlindubai.blogspot.com/
Sorry Autonomy but....blah blah..yet another idiot who moved here thinking life was going to be a walk in the park and came a cropper. Why don't you post about people who have been here for 5+ years and are making a success of their lives??
I am getting truly p*ssed off with all the "Dubai ruined our lives but it wasn't our fault" bollocks!!
I know lots of people who are doing well and enjoying Dubai. xxxx
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and this from his blog..................

Generally a maid is on call 24 hours a day to look after unruly fat brats. To cook, clean, shop (if they are allowed out alone, which is very unusual). They usually have tiny rooms with a bed and not much else. They are not allowed friends or relationships of any kind and are often have a poor diet and no access to phone or Internet to contact their family

Another load of bollocks!!

I give my maid 2 days off a week and a months holiday every year, as her contract states. She has a Tv/laptop/internet connection etc. Her room has a shower room ensuite,A/C ,etc.
She has her own fridge, buys her food when she goes shopping ( on my bill) sees her friends and husband as and when she likes after her working day. Takes care of my house, looks after me..no kids..no husband and has been with me for 6 years... I must be doing something right!!! also, everybody I know treats their maids the same as I do.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:51 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
Sorry Autonomy but....blah blah..yet another idiot who moved here thinking life was going to be a walk in the park and came a cropper. Why don't you post about people who have been here for 5+ years and are making a success of their lives??
I am getting truly p*ssed off with all the "Dubai ruined our lives but it wasn't our fault" bollocks!!
err... why don't you post about that then?.... I made it pretty clear (I thought) that both cases were somewhat down to the individual rather than Dubai... anyway....
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:53 am
Powered by cows

Oh and this from his blog..................

Generally a maid is on call 24 hours a day to look after unruly fat brats. To cook, clean, shop (if they are allowed out alone, which is very unusual). They usually have tiny rooms with a bed and not much else. They are not allowed friends or relationships of any kind and are often have a poor diet and no access to phone or Internet to contact their family

Another load of bollocks!!

I give my maid 2 days off a week and a months holiday every year, as her contract states. She has a Tv/laptop/internet connection etc. Her room has a shower room ensuite,A/C ,etc.
She has her own fridge, buys her food when she goes shopping ( on my bill) sees her friends and husband as and when she likes after her working day. Takes care of my house, looks after me..no kids..no husband and has been with me for 6 years... I must be doing something right!!! also, everybody I know treats their maids the same as I do.
it would be a little too easy to have a go at you for this statement, rather than doing that I guess it's better to say it's great that you are the exception rather than the norm...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Darling, I am not having a go at you xxx
I am talking about the guy's blog where he bemlans Dubai and fills his blog with half truths and "woe is me" stuff
xxxx
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

I am talking about the guy's blog where he bemlans Dubai and fills his blog with half truths and "woe is me" stuff
xxxx
Sorry Patsy, but the truth about housemaids here is, that a big number have to live in the circumstances this guy is describing. And I don't think we should close our eyes to it. Of course, there are the few lucky ones, who work for people like you and me, where they get proper payment and treatment. But after 10+years in the ME I can only confirm his statement and have seen such treatment even from Europeans!
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Pats. like you there are a large number of people who are doing well and have enjoyed Dubia life. However, Dubai employment laws need a drastic change. The current work permit/sponsorship system needs overhauling to prevent abuse by employers. I had major trouble with my first employer in Dubai so I know what can happen and I wasnt there living an extravagant life style. OK my second company were fine when I decided to leave. I can have no complaints about them.

Singapore now has system where experienced/well educated expats can have their own work permit which is not linked to the company. its a 5 year pass and gives you 6months grace if you lose your position. No employment bans can be put in place here.

would I move back to Dubai? if it was with a 100pct European owned Free-zone comapany, Yes. For any other company there, No.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

xxxx
Agreed - in part. Some of it is urban myth and half truth, but some of it is a cautionary tale of what can happen working for a company that is 'local'.

I have a few friends here who work for local construction companies, and to say they are treated poorly is an understatement.

I also agree with Ins. comments - you would be well advised to stick to companies that are western, so there is some protection from random behaviours.

The comments about the maids - we have heard that you treat yours well, and most people with any compassion would - however, there are a lot of pretty questionable people in the UAE.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:05 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

That's shocking. I can't see how the guy can accept much, if any, of the blame there, other than possibly being more careful to begin with...too good to be true, and all that. He was deceived.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:10 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bored with these 'woe betide me' tales.

I'm sure this happens all over the world, I certainly know of people in UK who have been stitched up with jobs.

I no longer have any sympathy for people who come here thinking they are Dick Whittington without looking into the pitfalls.

Fair enough, he seems to have had a crap time of it, but 99% of people I know here have done OK.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:21 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but then if he and others didn't do these "woe betide me" tales, how could people properly research the pitfalls? Even if we completely lack empathy, we should be able to see that it is a part of a useful resource.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:39 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy View Post
Ah, but then if he and others didn't do these "woe betide me" tales, how could people properly research the pitfalls? Even if we completely lack empathy, we should be able to see that it is a part of a useful resource.
You do have a point. What I am getting at is that all we seem to hear are these stories of people who have fallen on bad times. You rarely hear people saying things are good here (maybe because people feel like it is gloating?).

I had one of our senior managers from EMEA here last week who has lived all over the world. Admittedly we took him to some of the better restaurants etc. but he said he'd move here immediately if the opportunity arises.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

xxxx...

fff...
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:07 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
You do have a point. What I am getting at is that all we seem to hear are these stories of people who have fallen on bad times. You rarely hear people saying things are good here (maybe because people feel like it is gloating?).

I had one of our senior managers from EMEA here last week who has lived all over the world. Admittedly we took him to some of the better restaurants etc. but he said he'd move here immediately if the opportunity arises.
Well, people who enjoy it don't tend to feel the need to post long blog posts. Negative comments get more airing on most subjects.

But Hey, I'd move back there tomorrow (or AD or Doha), given the chance. Rural Libya is not fun. I had my fingers burned a bit last time I was there, but hopefully I've seen it as a lesson as much as anything else. Yeah, the agencies and employers spin you a yarn, but doing more than a few hours' research should help you be more informed.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.