Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Some British cultural points of interest

Some British cultural points of interest

Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Some British cultural points of interest

... especially for our curious local board members ...

We have the finest military in the world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAoj-dFU3UM

And the most interesting regional customs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNbGY...eature=related

Have novel approaches combined marketing of local produce and adventure sports....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-XeH...eature=related

invented exceptional sports gatherings....

http://www.visitscotland.com/guide/s...highlandgames/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83yGV...eature=related

Are extremely resourceful with our land...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFIe...eature=related

http://www.allotment.org.uk/articles...nt-History.php

And just like Emiratis, Brits love mobile phones too ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21lOpV5c2OQ

Have I forgotten anything......??
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:47 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some British cultural points of interest

That we are open-minded, tolerant and make the best beers and cheeses in the world.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:47 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
That we are open-minded, tolerant and make the best beers and cheeses in the world.
Errr.... Wanna bet on that?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dutchie
Oh yes, you have oranjeboom, edam and gouda. We have .... well, lots more...
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:54 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, if you don't mind losing.

Your cheeses could never compete and I am no real fan of your beers either.

-
Old Jul 28th 2008, 1:58 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by weescot
Sorry to put a dent in your over sized male ego Weescot, but I was thinking more along the lines of the French cheeses & wines. I absolutely love Scotland's finest whiskey's. Try to make a trip over there once a year. Yes, even manage to drive on the (for you) correct side of the road. It might sound weird, but I like that wacky race of people called the Brits. Humor so dry it would make an Arab feel proud.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

with a name like Dutchie, it was natural to conclude you referred to your own... Point taken with French cheese. dont' agree on beer though.... and its the first time I have been accused of having a male ego....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:04 pm

But like Sean Connery once said, and I quote "I envy European males, once you pass the 50 here, you don't have to care anymore. The cheeses, the wines, the woman? Who says male paradise doesn't exist anymore...."
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:05 pm
Bored liberal

Sorry to put a dent in your over sized male ego Weescot, but I was thinking more along the lines of the French cheeses & wines. I absolutely love Scotland's finest whiskey's. Try to make a trip over there once a year. Yes, even manage to drive on the (for you) correct side of the road. It might sound weird, but I like that wacky race of people called the Brits. Humor so dry it would make an Arab feel proud.

How to win friends... Why do so many people forget that this site is called BritishExpats? ANyone is welcome, but surely it is not too much to expect that posters here will act and respond as Brits.

There is a larger variety of British Cheeses than French. To assume the French have the best is a rather old-fashioned view these days. Numerous French chefs will tell you the same.

-
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:06 pm
Bored liberal

But like Sean Connery once said, and I quote "I envy European males, once you pass the 50 here, you don't have to care anymore. The cheeses, the wines, the woman? Who says male paradise doesn't exist anymore...."
Do the French condone beating women too?

-
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Meow
Do the French condone beating women too?

-
Hat off for you Miss/Misses M, didn't mean my cheese remarks as an insult. And to add fire to gun power? The first woman I saw hit by a man was British, the guy in question? Gave him swimming lessons in the Amsterdam channels. Old school here, you battle it out with a woman with your brain, not your hands.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hat off for you Miss/Misses M, didn't mean my cheese remarks as an insult. And to add fire to gun power? The first woman I saw hit by a man was British, the guy in question? Gave him swimming lessons in the Amsterdam channels. Old school here, you battle it out with a woman with your brain, not your hands.
How chivalrous... thanks
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:18 pm

How chivalrous... thanks
Has nothing to do with that. I hate it if (A) a man can't hold his drinks and (B) thinks his male ego grows by hitting a woman. It absolutely pisses me off to see 70 or 80 people just sitting there and watching it happen. The guy in question won't forget the five meter fall, know that for sure.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:24 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

So its all wife beating, cheese and beer then....sounds about right.....

I'm sure someone can pick up on the finer points of our fair and native land....
Old Jul 28th 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
So its all wife beating, cheese and beer then....sounds about right.....

I'm sure someone can pick up on the finer points of our fair and native land....
1. Love the fish & chips (with brown sauce)
2. Beer is okay, just don't (personally) like the bitter ones.
3. Absolutely adore the country style of living.
4. The B&B's ? Are awesome...
5. Love the British accent when the unavoidable comment in a pub comes "OMG He's a bloody American" (Only 50% true)
6. Fallen in love with Scotland 20+ years ago. The sense of freedom you get there takes your breath away...
7. On a humor level love the never ending battles over the various British and European systems and styles.

To mention a few points...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.