British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Solar powered igital radio (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/solar-powered-igital-radio-721661/)

Elmer Fudd Jun 20th 2011 12:09 pm

Solar powered igital radio

Having just received a solar powered digital radio for father's day, was wondering if such technology exists in Dubai (digital radio stations, not solar power!) If so, what styles and types and languages etc?

Mogs Jun 20th 2011 12:13 pm

Re: Solar powered igital radio

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd (Post 9444189)
Having just received a solar powered digital radio for father's day, was wondering if such technology exists in Dubai (digital radio stations, not solar power!) If so, what styles and types and languages etc?

Etisalat have radio as an option on their Elife box - doesn't work though (or that might just be 'cos I ain't subscribed to it).

Elmer Fudd Jun 20th 2011 12:17 pm

Oh dear :( was hoping I would be able to sit outside on balcony etc & receive free music and sport talk. Maybe I will just have to subscribe when work permit is all sorted.

Bahtatboy Jun 20th 2011 12:19 pm

If you have an iPhone and wifi, you can get virtually everything via the Tunein Radio app. Presumably there's something similar for your PC.

Elmer Fudd Jun 20th 2011 12:22 pm

Re: Solar powered digital radio

Yep, sorted on that front, but the radio is a nice little leaving present & would like to let the kiddies (all in their 20's!!) know that it is being well used:)

Bahtatboy Jun 20th 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd (Post 9444225)
Yep, sorted on that front, but the radio is a nice little leaving present & would like to let the kiddies (all in their 20's!!) know that it is being well used:)

Just blu-tak your iPhone to the back of it, they'll never know;)

Elmer Fudd Jun 20th 2011 12:28 pm

:rofl:crafty

Jim Smith Jun 20th 2011 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd (Post 9444189)

There are no digital broadcast transmissions being made in Dubai at the moment. There was a digital TV transmitter trial many years ago but that never went "on-air" either.

Elmer Fudd Jun 20th 2011 2:20 pm

Anybody like to buy a nearly used solar powered digital radio?:ohmy:

jackthehat Jun 20th 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd (Post 9444463)
Anybody like to buy a nearly used solar powered digital radio?:ohmy:

And what exactly is a Digital Radio?

Elmer Fudd Jun 20th 2011 3:45 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; HTC_Wildfire_A3333 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

DAB is a digital broadcast format rather than FM

Just caught up with the sketch link on my laptop -my mobile didn't show this, so please ignore my pants reply:thumbup:

Bahtatboy Jun 20th 2011 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9444535)
And what exactly is a Digital Radio?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rPz24QYH2W8

You're not LH reincarnate, are you? Mind you, he'd have probably said, "And what exactly is a Radio?"

OleJanx Jun 20th 2011 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9444581)
You're not LH reincarnate, are you? Mind you, he'd have probably said, "And what exactly is a Radio?"

Radio? Radio? Don't you mean wireless?

jackthehat Jun 20th 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9444581)
. . . . . "And what exactly is a Radio?"

We used to call it 'The Wireless!'

OleJanx Jun 20th 2011 3:55 pm

Ah! So sorry, my mistake...:)