Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So you thought the Saudis oppressed women...

So you thought the Saudis oppressed women...

Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So you thought the Saudis oppressed women...

The Greek royal family were all Germans. Notice the past tense. Same applies to most royals in Europe. German princelings - just like that lot in Buck House.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

It was probably a different programme but there was a 'fly on the wall' type show on the Hutterites aired on Nat Geo the other night.

Totally staged a la Kardashians. Youngun's getting into scraps at school. Headscarf wearing munter bowling around local town trying to get a job (i.e. rebelling). They all came across as inbred hicks.

Probably quite handy with a John Deere mind.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:13 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
He is Greek mate.
So That's why the country is going down the pan.

I blame the Greeks.

(and the chinese obviously)
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
What makes you think I like the monarch?

(Although I do find Philip's comments amusing).

For a kraut
Pity you don't realise that philip is, in fact, Greek.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:18 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Pity you don't realise that philip is, in fact, Greek.
I'm sure if I looked at his history he'd be at least a little bit kraut.

I am biased though, I hate germans more than I hate macums.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 1:18 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And you don't think the documentary could have been biased based on the producer's prejudices?
All television docs are from the producer/directors perspective. They pick what to film, what to include in the edit, what works what doesn't. Thats the nature of tv and why great docs are made by great producers/directors. There's an art to it.

It wasn't a brilliantly made doc to be honest and the VoiceOver was beyond irritating. But it was sensitively made and leagues away from the National Geographic one. In fact I would say the director was pretty unjudgmental in her questioning in probing the various Hutterites. For example, when asking about the sex segregation of children at dinner, the man was unable to offer a decent explanation and she left the silence to do all the talking. Same with the unhappy young guy who looked after the chickens seven days a week. She could have pushed him further if she was flogging the slavery point but she preferred to keep quiet and let him do the talking.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Mountbatten - or the original "Battenberg" does not sound too Greek to me !
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Mountbatten - or the original "Battenberg" does not sound too Greek to me !
He is of Danish/Greek extraction see here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_...e_of_Edinburgh
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

All the Abrahmic religions throughout history shared the same social and moral values that could had been at odd with other community's cultural values, or might had even been contradictory at times. That's why when Christianity, for example, was introduced into Europe, it had to be remoulded and twisted first in order to be accepted into the European model. Even the physical appearance of Jesus himself had had a similar treatment, as it is evidant from his portraits in the old European churches- a blond man with a Germanic nose which is a far cry from the appearance of the real Semitic Jesus Christ.
Therefore any attempt by modern Christians to go back to the roots of Christianity will make them end up becoming like the Hamish (in values as well as physical appearance) and their likes .
I remember watching a similar program about Hamish people many years ago and the guy who was being interviewed was a polygamist with 7 wives. He beloved that with his practice of polygamy he was following the foot steps of the majority of the Biblical heroes starting with Abraham, the father of the prophets, all the way down to Jesus (No one knows if Jesus was married or not and if so, to how many wives!)
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by redShark
All the Abrahmic religions throughout history shared the same social and moral values that could had been at odd with other community's cultural values, or might had even been contradictory at times. That's why when Christianity, for example, was introduced into Europe, it had to be remoulded and twisted first in order to be accepted into the European model. Even the physical appearance of Jesus himself had had a similar treatment, as it is evidant from his portraits in the old European churches- a blond man with a Germanic nose which is a far cry from the appearance of the real Semitic Jesus Christ.
Therefore any attempt by modern Christians to go back to the roots of Christianity will make them end up becoming like the Hamish (in values as well as physical appearance) and their likes .
I remember watching a similar program about Hamish people many years ago and the guy who was being interviewed was a polygamist with 7 wives. He beloved that with his practice of polygamy he was following the foot steps of the majority of the Biblical heroes starting with Abraham, the father of the prophets, all the way down to Jesus (No one knows if Jesus was married or not and if so, to how many wives!)
Do you mean the Amish redshark as I can't find any reference to the Hamish.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:17 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

The worship pigs
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Yes indeed
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
The worship pigs
in Scotland.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:54 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
So says the man who clearly knows nothing about the Mennonites or Amish.

Let's start with:

They like to be left alone. They don't go out into the surrounding community and tell people what to do.

They never proselytise.

Within their religion they lack any real structure but women can vote on church issues alongside the menfolk.

While in accordance with traditional bible teaching women are to be submissive to their husbands and respect his wishes, in practice, as any Amish or Mennoite woman will tell you, decisions are made jointly. Men are also expected to be humble and supportive of wives.

Tasks and duties are divided by gender. But it's not a case of the women taking care of the house while the husband sits around watching telly. Wife runs the house and raise the kids, husband spends all day plowing the fields.

There's no restrictions on leaving the Amish/Mennonite church or community. They don't chase you down or kill you or ostracize you. Amish babies are not baptised because the children are given the choice to join the church or not when they come of age much later in life.

Trying to compare them to the Saudis is nothing short of ignorance.
I have to say I completely agree with you - people like the Amish and Mennonites are not engaging in 'honour killings' or calling for death everytime someone takes the piss out of Jesus via cartoons or books. They are not engaging in acts of terrorism in the name of their beliefs and they are not bothering anyone.

Nothing in Christianity teaches apostates must be killed if they leave.

Anyway I don't want to get into apologetics for minor Christian sects - it's still middle eastern monotheism and therefore no friend of mine.

N.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:55 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
This community of Hutterites weren't quite so peaceful and lovely as is perceived. Watch the doc:

The men and women sat separately at dinner. The kids ate in another room. They were also segregated.

The women cleaned, cooked, looked after kids and did the gardening. No driving.

Certain parts of the supplies were locked up and only the men could allow them to be released. Pickles were ok though. The women were deemed sensible enough to be allowed to decide when more pickles were needed.

Everybody had to say what they were doing and when - the chief Hutterite kept a diary and noted where and when everybody was.

Creativity and personality were stamped on.

Not my kind of down to earth.
That's misogynistic at worst - dominating patriarchy at 'best' - do they beat women who disobey? Are they running a nation of many millions and applying these rules as the law of the land? Do they go abroad preaching their way as the only way?

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; Mar 10th 2013 at 4:58 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.