Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So who should be on the new 20 quid note?

So who should be on the new 20 quid note?

Old May 19th 2015, 4:38 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Post So who should be on the new 20 quid note?

Has to be a visual artist though!
I would like to see Charlie Chaplin on one of those notes. It would be so brilliant!!

http://www.reutes.com/article/2015/0...ddlyEnoughNews

The British public will for the first time be able to help decide which historic figure - in this case a creative one - appears on the next version of the country's 20 pound note, the Bank of England said on Tuesday.

The BoE regularly changes who appears on British banknotes, and there was controversy in 2013 when the choice of Winston Churchill to succeed 19th century social reformer Elizabeth Fry on the five pound note meant future notes would depict no women other than the current monarch Queen Elizabeth.

One of BoE Governor Mark Carney's first public acts after he took office in July 2013 was to announce that novelist Jane Austen would appear on the 10 pound note from 2017, and making the BoE more transparent has been one of his main goals.

Carney said on Tuesday that the BoE would invite the public to nominate British artists, craftsmen, designers or filmmakers who they would like to see on the 20 pound note, which currently shows economist Adam Smith.

"The design of these notes must command respect and legitimacy, and should inspire," Carney said at London's Victoria and Albert design museum.

The public can nominate British artists who are no longer living via the BoE's website until July 19, and a decision will be made by a committee of BoE officials and art experts early next year.

The other figures on Bank of England notes are evolutionary theorist Charles Darwin on the 10 pound note and steam engine inventor James Watt and his business partner Matthew Boulton on the 50 pound note.

by the by :

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...exttwenty.aspx
Old May 19th 2015, 5:31 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So who should be on the new 20 quid note?

Old May 19th 2015, 8:18 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Populist suggestion...

Old May 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
ooh! Torn between Chaplin and Lennon now! To be honest I think Lennon would be a better choice
Old May 20th 2015, 6:46 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

It should be me.
Old May 20th 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
It should be me.
Go one then, what visual art have you got to show?
and no a shirtless selfie does NOT count as art...and will you please stop sending me those pics again and again from various email addresses!!
Old May 20th 2015, 8:24 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper View Post
Go one then, what visual art have you got to show?
and no a shirtless selfie does NOT count as art...and will you please stop sending me those pics again and again from various email addresses!!
Well, is Lennon really a visual artist? Would you say Lennon - the Artist or Lennon - the Beatle or even Lennon - the one that got assassinated?

Anyway, that's just nit-picking.

I once did a painting at school that was described as 'bland'. So maybe not me.

I honestly don't know. I think I'll wait until the shortlist is announced perhaps. But I'd much rather see someone old rather than contemporary.
Old May 20th 2015, 8:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Well, is Lennon really a visual artist? Would you say Lennon - the Artist or Lennon - the Beatle or even Lennon - the one that got assassinated?

Anyway, that's just nit-picking.

I once did a painting at school that was described as 'bland'. So maybe not me.

I honestly don't know. I think I'll wait until the shortlist is announced perhaps. But I'd much rather see someone old rather than contemporary.
They've got to be dead, so it does tend towards the "old" category.

And I'd hardly call Lennon a visual artist.

Actually, this face would sit well, although he's already been "stamped":

Old May 20th 2015, 9:25 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be controversial and suggest that it should be a female of stage, screen or the arts. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but we have had enough crusty old men, why not a ravishing beauty from the 20, 30s? Beauty being optional.
Old May 20th 2015, 10:11 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
They've got to be dead, so it does tend towards the "old" category.

And I'd hardly call Lennon a visual artist.

Actually, this face would sit well, although he's already been "stamped":

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...z2ztIvW-fgQX-Q
I think I should have to have heard of them. I actually recognise this chap so that definitely counts.

I'm the perfect bridge between idiot youths of today and boring old sods who come up with obscure nominations just to try and look clever.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:34 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Dumbo View Post
I'm going to be controversial and suggest that it should be a female of stage, screen or the arts. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but we have had enough crusty old men, why not a ravishing beauty from the 20, 30s? Beauty being optional.
Yep, that's controversial: its sexual discrimination.

Can't think of many females who stand out: Liz Taylor? Ingrid Pitt? Vivienne Leigh? Danny La Rue?

Bob Hoskins would be good. David Niven, bit of class?
Old May 20th 2015, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Keith Harris or maybe Bernard Manning !
Old May 21st 2015, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

A scientist , engineer or vaccine inventor who has played an instrumental role in changing peoples' lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Bazalgette
Frank Whittle is another notable engineer.
Old May 21st 2015, 4:26 am
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Yep, that's controversial: its sexual discrimination.

Can't think of many females who stand out: Liz Taylor? Ingrid Pitt? Vivienne Leigh? Danny La Rue?

Bob Hoskins would be good. David Niven, bit of class?

How about Dame Laura Knight or Barabra Hepworth.

Artist on Bank of England £20 note unlikely to be a woman, warn critics | UK news | The Guardian

Girl power.
Old May 21st 2015, 7:55 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
FFS!!! that charlatan!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.