Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Jan to November 2016 Germany had a GBP 29.23 billion trade surplus with the UK.
They are not going to put that at risk with punitive tariffs.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Jan to November 2016 Germany had a GBP 29.23 billion trade surplus with the UK.
They are not going to put that at risk with punitive tariffs.
Maybe we should get together with the Germans and a load of other European nations and set up some sort of club where we trade easily and don't restrict movement and stuff like that. Would be pretty good right?

The £200+ billion exports of goods and services to other EU countries were worth about 12% of the value of the British economy in 2015, and £230 billion or 13% in 2014. It’s stayed at around 13-15% over the past decade. You can argue that the EU is worth a lot more to the UK than the UK is worth to the EU.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Maybe we should get together with the Germans and a load of other European nations and set up some sort of club where we trade easily and don't restrict movement and stuff like that. Would be pretty good right?

The £200+ billion exports of goods and services to other EU countries were worth about 12% of the value of the British economy in 2015, and £230 billion or 13% in 2014. It’s stayed at around 13-15% over the past decade. You can argue that the EU is worth a lot more to the UK than the UK is worth to the EU.
you mean like EFTA?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 8:06 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

you mean like EFTA?
EFTA = soft Brexit.... including freedom of movement.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

Will May call a general election? Interesting article from Wee Willie Hague in today's Telegraph that makes a convincing case for her to call for one. I highly respect him (and he was a Remainer, FYI).
I like Hague even if he was a Remainer

Another general election would be a wise move. Conservatives would clear up and come out with an even stronger hand.

Labour is a shambles with Corbyn at the helm. Ukip had potential but Paul Nuttall scuppered their chances with the loss at Stoke. With the Copeland by-election, it shows that even the working classes approve of May...
Old Mar 7th 2017, 9:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
EFTA = soft Brexit.... including freedom of movement.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

my point was we should have stayed as EFTA members.

The EU is vastly undemocratic and corrupt behemoth. Personally I would have voted to remain despite the massive reforms that are needed, but unlikely to ever occur, within the EU. However, having seen the reaction of Junker and his cronies I would now probably vote leave (if I had a vote).
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

my point was we should have stayed as EFTA members.

The EU is vastly undemocratic and corrupt behemoth. Personally I would have voted to remain despite the massive reforms that are needed, but unlikely to ever occur, within the EU. However, having seen the reaction of Junker and his cronies I would now probably vote leave (if I had a vote).
My Mum says something similar, that 'it's not what we signed up for'.

It's an argument I can totally accept, I just think that now, the EU is such a large global player that you're either in or out. Half measures (as it appears we are finding out from all angles) are just not of interest.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My Mum says something similar, that 'it's not what we signed up for'.

It's an argument I can totally accept, I just think that now, the EU is such a large global player that you're either in or out. Half measures (as it appears we are finding out from all angles) are just not of interest.

the bureaucrats from the EU institutions are the ones who are making the biggest noise about no half measures. They are not the ones who have to deal with the impact on their nation's economies.

The UK is after all still the world's 5-6th largest economy. The leaders of the main EU nations seem to grasp better that enforcing a hard brexit will also hit the EU economy, which is already in a perilously fragile state.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:41 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed reading this article on Zerohedge:

European Commission Presents Five Scenarios For The Future Of Europe

Particularly the comments section
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:56 am
Account Closed

the bureaucrats from the EU institutions are the ones who are making the biggest noise about no half measures. They are not the ones who have to deal with the impact on their nation's economies.

The UK is after all still the world's 5-6th largest economy. The leaders of the main EU nations seem to grasp better that enforcing a hard brexit will also hit the EU economy, which is already in a perilously fragile state.
I think, in the grand scheme of things that both will be 'fine'.

I don't however, believe that either will come out of this too positively for quite some time and will be long term worse off. Our service based economy doesn't particularly lend itself to being outside of the parties and negotiating things like access from a point of total weakness.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I think, in the grand scheme of things that both will be 'fine'.

I don't however, believe that either will come out of this too positively for quite some time and will be long term worse off. Our service based economy doesn't particularly lend itself to being outside of the parties and negotiating things like access from a point of total weakness.
How can it be that we have a negative balance of payments to the EU, ie we buy more from them than they sell to us?

Surely that puts us in a stronger position.

And i really don't think the german carmakers will absorb the alleged 15% hike in prices, living in cloud cuckoo land again there, what they may do is de-spec their cars to still make the same margin.

So buy a vehicle made in Britain instead, Jaguar Land Rover is good (Indian owned but employing and utilising a lot of UK workers), or a Japanese/Korean, even a decent yank tank.

There are options out there.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
ie we buy more from them than they sell to us?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bugger off, you know what i meant.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Oh bugger off, you know what i meant.

I do. I don't disagree totally to be honest and am having such a wank day that tI don't have the appetite to argue over the EU. **** 'em. It's a mess the whole EU and every single member nation has been responsible for since the vote. Too much mud-slinging and bullshit. Too much threats and rebukes and rebuttals and all round guff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.