Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:59 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
I thought it was the Remainers that were supposed to be constantly moaning and whinging?
I've yet to meet a Brexiter who's actually happy. All they ever do is complain.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
And then he'd be out of business because he wouldn't be able to sell his fruit at a price that would allow him to run a viable business, thanks to supermarkets squeezing suppliers for the last penny and, by extension, consumers who don't realise that cheap food has a price.
but then he'd stay in business because the supermarkets would not longer have the option of importing cheaper fruit from southern europe. Therefore, he'd be able to sell his fruit at a higher price and pay his labourers a fair wage.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

And then he'd be out of business because he wouldn't be able to sell his fruit at a price that would allow him to run a viable business, thanks to supermarkets squeezing suppliers for the last penny and, by extension, consumers who don't realise that cheap food has a price.
Brexit voters should be made to pay £8 for a single cabbage or pear or carrot, because that way it's jobs for Brits and everything will be better.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Illegal and cheap labour should not be excused.

Eyes should be on this and on the supermarkets who are known to bully small suppliers/farmers. I'm sure if all farmers were in the same boat, there would be no option but to increase the price for food to remain in business.

I would be happy to pay more for my groceries should it be fair to the grower/farmer.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

I've yet to meet a Brexiter who's actually happy. All they ever do is complain.
I'm ecstatic about it. I will never forget the moment when the vote was won, sitting in my chair at Glastonbury festival with an ice cold Magners and the sun shining through the clouds...

Plus the moaning of the lefties around me that the world was going to end
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by ExpatAl

Eyes should be on this and on the supermarkets who are known to bully small suppliers/farmers. I'm sure if all farmers were in the same boat, there would be no option but to increase the price for food to remain in business.

I would be happy to pay more for my groceries should it be fair to the grower/farmer.
Then we should set firm prices and the stores should be government owned and the people picking the fruit should just work for the government and all get paid the same.

That would be fair. Why has nobody thought of this comrade...I mean....buddy?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:28 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ecstatic about it. I will never forget the moment when the vote was won, sitting in my chair at Glastonbury festival with an ice cold Magners and the sun shining through the clouds...

Plus the moaning of the lefties around me that the world was going to end
Ironically drinking an Irish cider to celebrate leaving Europe . You should have had a warm ale instead
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

As my father, a retired economics professor (some of you have probably read a few of his papers if you ever studied economics) would say, sniff, armchair economists. They know everything, don't they?

Telegraph reporting that Article 50 will be formally invoked on 29 March

Brexit will begin on March 29, No 10 reveals and there will be no early general election before 2020

Theresa May will trigger the two year process of leaving the European Union on March 29th, No 10 have announced.

Sir Tim Barrow, the UK's ambassador to the EU, formally notified the office of EU Council president Donald Tusk this morning.

Notification of Britain’s plans to leave the EU took place this morning with a letter from Sir Tim to the office of Mr Tusk.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Mar 20th 2017 at 12:40 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
As my father, a retired economics professor (some of you have probably read a few of his papers if you ever studied economics) would say, sniff, armchair economics. They know everything, don't they?
What a shame someone in a position of influence had such a poor attitude eh.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:37 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Easily achieved by shopping at any farmers market or similar, rather than the local Tesco.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well, you know, academia and all that. The most self-entitled, snobby, disdainful, arrogant, out of touch, brainwashed, deluded and egoistical group of people there ever is.

Except for the old man, of course

Originally Posted by Scamp
What a shame someone in a position of influence had such a poor attitude eh.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Ah, well, you know, academia and all that. The most self-entitled, snobby, disdainful, arrogant, out of touch, brainwashed, deluded and egoistical group of people there ever is.

Except for the old man, of course

I could have sworn you were talking about religion.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:25 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
but then he'd stay in business because the supermarkets would not longer have the option of importing cheaper fruit from southern europe
Food imports from the EU are going to be blocked? I wasn't aware of that, and Googling doesn't bring anything up.

Therefore, he'd be able to sell his fruit at a higher price and pay his labourers a fair wage.
Define "fair wage". Agricultural jobs have always been poorly paid and dependent on cheap labour, but the difference used to be that locals could afford to live on local agricultural wages. That's all gone now.

If you define a fair wage as a living wage, then fruit prices would have to hit the stratosphere.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

This commentary from that bastion of ultra liberalism that is the NYTimes is decent reading (Miss Anne, it's ok, it's safe enough for you to review, you won't need to go to your safe space).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/o...need.html?_r=0

Offers a clear insight into aspects of immigration and the effects it has and the pros/cons, particularly on low-skilled workers and why varying people are concerned. Although US oriented some of the implications are relevant for the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Food imports from the EU are going to be blocked? I wasn't aware of that, and Googling doesn't bring anything up.
if there is no free trade deal between the EU and the UK then they would be subjected to tariffs at WTO rates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.