Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: So we're leaving the EU including the Single Market

I can tell I'm going to get a lot of flack when I move to Dubai - having been a vocal Leave voter throughout the referendum campaign...

Hopefully the whole s**tshow will have blown over in a few years and I can return to an even Greater Britain!
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the end some sort of compromise will be reached once the sabre rattling has finished.

Hard Brexit will be bad for the UK economy. Hard Brexit will be bad for the EU economy, especially in countries like Ireland.

The EU national leaders won't let the Commission succeed in its wish to scare other nations in to remaining in the EU
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

As issued by the Press Association using figures from the ONS. The Referendum has had an effect on these figures.

I wouldn't call this positive.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

lightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Meow;12199895]As issued by the Press Association using figures from the ONS. The Referendum has had an effect on these figures.

http://i63.tinypic.com/295fvi8.jpg

I wouldn't call this positive.[/

The median of 2018 end guesstimates by the global investment banks is a 1.45 USD-GBP

Many are saying if the referendum was held again tomorrow it would be 60-40 leave as it is retainers who are being swayed not leavers.

We buy EU products like crazy. They are not going to stop us from doing that.

Financial sector is the biggest concern. They will try and shift it. We will have to give a tax break to keep it.

We are a consumer nation.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

I do. I don't disagree totally to be honest and am having such a wank day that tI don't have the appetite to argue over the EU. **** 'em. It's a mess the whole EU and every single member nation has been responsible for since the vote. Too much mud-slinging and bullshit. Too much threats and rebukes and rebuttals and all round guff.

I think it's kind of hilarious that us expats are arguing about something that we firstly don't have control obver and secondly, for me in particular, won't matter anyway.

However, it is a very British tradition to annoy johnny foreigner, and I'm a great believer in traditioner.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope

This is aside from the fact that the UK is not a particularly significant market for those manufacturers.

The UK accounts for around 20% of all german car exports. That is a fact.

It is probably responsible for most of the profits in some manufacturers cases...

They need the UK more than the UK needs them...
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Things might be getting worse in the UK, but they're getting a lot more worse a lot more quickly in the EU.

Get out quick now before the whole thing implodes.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
I think it's kind of hilarious that us expats are arguing about something that we firstly don't have control obver and secondly, for me in particular, won't matter anyway.

However, it is a very British tradition to annoy johnny foreigner, and I'm a great believer in traditioner.
I don't mind that tradition too much.

I voted because I plan on going back to the UK in the future, potentially. I also believe that if you can vote, you probably should.

I think the UK is teetering at the moment of looking daft. We really do need to get through our procedures and votes and agreements and get the **** on with it.

Originally Posted by flood2

It is probably responsible for most of the profits in some manufacturers cases...

Classic argument this.

The EU as a whole sells more to us than we sell to it. Therefore they need us. Power to the UK.

BUT, you can spin that exact comment.

We buy more from the rest of the EU than it buys from us. Therefore we need them. Power to the EU.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

We buy more from the rest of the EU than it buys from us. Therefore we need them. Power to the EU.
Not quite. We can buy most of the stuff elsewhere. They can't sell elsewhere due to punitive trade agreements.

Making the argument on trade matters (in either way) is utterly pointless.

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 9th 2017 at 4:19 am.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominoman
Things might be getting worse in the UK, but they're getting a lot more worse a lot more quickly in the EU.

Get out quick now before the whole thing implodes.
This is the only argument that no one ever tries to dispute. It is also the one I subscribe to.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:00 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This is the only argument that no one ever tries to dispute. It is also the one I subscribe to.
I dispute it because it is more silly emotive ideological projection, like the imminent collapse of the euro (c. 2003, 2009, 2012, 2015 etc ad infinitum).

I have the option of choosing and I would definitely choose to be in the EU over the UK for my longer term well-being. I have family connections, close friends and assets in the UK which complicate things. I'm just really pissed off that I am forced to choose all due to some made-up rhetorical nonsense which is what most of the Brexit argument appears to be to me....
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:15 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2

Well now, very little raises a red flag quicker than when somebody with a clear ideological position makes an unreferenced claim about data and then follows it with a statement like: "That is a fact"

So I did a little research and, quelle surprise, one simple Google search is enough to demonstrate that it's bullshit! Imagine: a Brexiteer making an unsubstantiated claim supported by completely made-up numbers!! Who would have thought???!!!

Here is a very interesting article with analysis on the subject which thoughtfully treats the trade issue without any of the hysterical ranting that seems to subsume most coverage of this topic. In case you were wondering, or can't be arsed to click the link, the actual proportion of German auto exports accounted for by the UK is 11.6%: substantial, but nothing like 20%.

More pertinently the article puts that in the wider context of German strategic interests and how that completely undermines this silly idea that everything will come good because the Germans are scared they won't be able to sell us quite as many cars. Aside from anything else, that betrays a fundamental lack of understanding about how public policy is developed and established in Germany.

The other thing about this, which for me is the most significant and scary, is that that clearly spurious position appears to constitute the entire UK negotiation approach. No strategy, no genuine attempt to constructively engage, just idiotic rhetoric. All that bluster from Boris and David Davis and the blessed Theresa is only going to backfire. They don't appear to have a clue how to handle this properly and smartly to secure the best interests of the UK. It's all about childish political posturing to tame the beast of unapologetic nationalism unleashed by this stupid referendum.

The empire has no clothes in this one - they will be eviscerated. Sure the EU will be worse off also but proportionately far less so than the UK and it will be a price worth paying for them.

PS Barca, bloody hell eh?

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Mar 9th 2017 at 5:31 am.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not quite. We can buy most of the stuff elsewhere. They can't sell elsewhere due to punitive trade agreements.

Making the argument on trade matters (in either way) is utterly pointless.
If we can, why don't we? Is it cheaper in the EU or will it be cheaper still?

Anyway, you kind of missed the point there but then got that it's pointless. Which was my point.

Point.

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope

PS Barca, bloody hell eh?
I had £2 on 6-1 at 50/1.

Wish I had enormous balls (they're already big).
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:48 am
...we killed the flame

I had £2 on 6-1 at 50/1.

Wish I had enormous balls (they're already big).
Wish I'd watched it as I was kept awake by the constant phone updates beeping anyway! Other half is a life-long barca nut and you may recall my team didn't do quite so well this week so a weekend of excruciation in prospect....
Old Mar 9th 2017, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If we can, why don't we? Is it cheaper in the EU or will it be cheaper still?
To answer your specific question, we don't as we are not allowed to. That's how trade agreements with the EU work.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with trade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.