Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So they want to put my DH in jail

So they want to put my DH in jail

Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:01 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy So they want to put my DH in jail

yes our nice ex landlords office wants to put DH in jail. Remember we signed the lease on the old apartment for a year, and gave them two cheques dated 1.1 and 1.7. We moved out at the end of June and basically lost the rental money for the month of June. The LL's office told us that they would return the cheque dated 1.7 (45k) and that everything was fine and that they understood the situation we were in, new job etc. Well they have just rang to say that they were unable to re lease the apartment and they will cash the cheque on Wednesday which will bounce, which will result in DH being arrested. The day after we moved out a couple came to see the apartment and said they wanted to take it. The following day my neighbour saw a signed contract for our apartment with Security and Security told him that they had re leased it. I even asked Security if they were having it painted and he said yes (was a bit sad about that as my living room was lush). I am going to go round there and see if it is empty or not.

And the woman that DH is dealing with is British ......

Last edited by Blue Cat; Jun 29th 2009 at 8:02 am. Reason: sp
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:04 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So they want to put my DH in jail

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
yes our nice ex landlords office wants to put DH in jail. Remember we signed the lease on the old apartment for a year, and gave them two cheques dated 1.1 and 1.7. We moved out at the end of June and basically lost the rental money for the month of June. The LL's office told us that they would return the cheque dated 1.7 (45k) and that everything was fine and that they understood the situation we were in, new job etc. Well they have just rang to say that they were unable to re lease the apartment and they will cash the cheque on Wednesday which will bounce, which will result in DH being arrested. The day after we moved out a couple came to see the apartment and said they wanted to take it. The following day my neighbour saw a signed contract for our apartment with Security and Security told him that they had re leased it. I even asked Security if they were having it painted and he said yes (was a bit sad about that as my living room was lush). I am going to go round there and see if it is empty or not.

call the landlord and tell him your going to see rera today and the police to raise a harrasment case, see what he says
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

If the apartment HAS been re-let, the landlord is committing fraud - or attempting to - pure and simple.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
call the landlord and tell him your going to see rera today and the police to raise a harrasment case, see what he says
good idea, I have also told DH to tell them he will go to the papers with this. He has told them that there are no funds and that the cheque will bounce but they don't seem to care. He said do you want to put me into jail? got no answer. They don't know what is coming to them if they don't return that cheque. I am furious.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:07 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by The Dean
If the apartment HAS been re-let, the landlord is committing fraud - or attempting to - pure and simple.
I am going round there to find out. But then Security will probably lie to me? might have to wait til 1st of July and knock on the door. My old neighbours moved out the day we did so I don't have any contacts in that building who can check on my behalf.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I am going round there to find out. But then Security will probably lie to me? might have to wait til 1st of July and knock on the door. My old neighbours moved out the day we did so I don't have any contacts in that building who can check on my behalf.
Find a couple of friends who are "looking for" an apartment, they contact the landlord...... etc........
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:13 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Find a couple of friends who are "looking for" an apartment, they contact the landlord...... etc........
ah there's a good idea.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:30 am
Concierge

they have now come back and said that our contract with them has been cancelled, but they will not return this 45k cheque until they find another tennant? So why are they keeping the cheque then? I have spoken to a friend who thinks we should speak to the Police as this is technically fraud.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

they have now come back and said that our contract with them has been cancelled, but they will not return this 45k cheque until they find another tennant? So why are they keeping the cheque then? I have spoken to a friend who thinks we should speak to the Police as this is technically fraud.
That 'friend' would be The Dean presumably, who said precisely that about 25 minutes ago?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:44 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

That 'friend' would be The Dean presumably, who said precisely that about 25 minutes ago?
Unless you have read the smallprint and Contract in full you can't say 'precisely that' no matter how well intended ...BC check you Contract(hope you still have a copy) thouroughly first.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

at a guess, the landlord has leased the property for less than he hoped for, and is making up the shortfall with your cheque... I'd be knocking on the door to see if anyone answers... If so, get straight on to RERA & Police.

To get entry to the building, just take a bag full of DVDs - the DVD woman always manages to get past our security
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:18 pm
Concierge

seems it is sorted out, they are denying that it has been rented. They were going to hold the cheque until such time, until it was pointed out that they had cancelled our contract and we may well get the Police involved. They are getting the cheque back. Let's see ....
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm...
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Confucius
Hmmm...
exactly, hmmm
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

exactly, hmmm
As much as I would hate saying "told you so", which I didn't by the way, but, your man should've taken that cheque before vacating the house...
Yes, there would be grounds of fraud and all but still, you've been unlucky once this year...
Not trying to scare you, but there is a big bad world out there, especially these days...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.