Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So talk to me about beaches...

So talk to me about beaches...

Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:06 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So talk to me about beaches...

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Dubai has excellent beaches. Miles after miles of free beaches, azure blue water fringed with white sand. You will only find palm trees at the resorts but Jebel Ali club is a pleasant resort and worth a day trip/overnight from AD.

Jumeirah Beach Park has more palmtrees than you can wish for...only 5 dhs entry, it's got toilets, showers and changing rooms, you can hire loungers and umbrellas and it's got a couple of fast food outlets...in the park there are a couple of nice playareas for the kids, it's got a really nice family atmosphere and in the weekend it's bbq galore...

Last edited by MataHari; Aug 8th 2010 at 2:08 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:15 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Nowadays - due to the building of "The World" islands, the only Dubai city beaches that get any surf are JBR beach and Sunset (Umm Sequim) beach next to the Jumeriah Beach Hotel.

Whenever a decent shamal wind blows from a westerly/north direction you get a 2 - 4 ft breaking wave - good for body boarding, beginers and kids. I take my 8 y.o. son there regularly and there are usually 20 - 30 surfers out on a good day.

I usually check this web cam first before loading the boards into the car...

http://www.dubaicoast.ae/coastimages...at=1&view=View

We have had a couple of excellent early morning surf trips over the summer - if you get there at day break the heat is just about bearable!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

trojanhorse is on a distinguished road

Hi
For a really great family beach you could do no better than "THE OMAN DIVE CENTRE" they are located a few miles outside Muscat and although you have to pay a few Omani riyals to get in its very shallow and calm, clean water. There is food and drinks available as well as changing and showering facilities. agreat day out even if you do not dive. Hope the idea appeals.

Mick
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Go up to Khasab and charter a dhow to tour around Musandam (dolphins, snorkelling etc) and drop you off at beach to camp they pick you up in the morning
Where is this? never heard of it before.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:48 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hunh!? Never been to the Musandam peninsula. Gotta do it. Drive North and keep going, when you hit water; you are there. Great place to vist. Stay at the Golden Tulip, a 3* hotel which stretches the *'s but is a good place.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:51 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

one of the best things to do here... sort it out....
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

awesome place. More dolphins than you could wish to catch with an illegal tuna net.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with the others that this is definitely worth a trip. The Golden Tulip is okay and we sorted out our own dhow cruise by rocking up at the dock and picking the boat we liked the look of.

I was a little disconcerted when, as we were heading out of Khasab, we were overtaken by a small but powerful speedboat which had three guys on it with balaclavas and rifles/guns. Turns out they were doing "the run" over to Iran and back - common occurance.

Anyway, the dolphins are nice :-)
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:57 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still on the hunt for local quickie beaches. Been down to the corniche several times and it's ok but the water is nasty. Shame as I can pretty much throw a stone at it from home.

Someone locally recommended Bahia beach - said it was good if you went at quieter times.

Stayed at a friend's on the palm last weekend with a nice private beach. Now I liked that a lot as I could get a beer near the pool too and we weren't even in a hotel. Water much nicer than at the corniche. clear and blue - we were at the side facing the Burj.

Oman is beckoning - probably for next Eid. Where to stay that is great for fmilies and won;t break the bank? (Since my bank is already broken... milked me dry setting up here and I'm refusing to use the decent savings...)

Or maybe musandam for eid? what do you all recommend?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I'm still on the hunt for local quickie beaches. Been down to the corniche several times and it's ok but the water is nasty.
That's AD for you. Try the beach near the palace if it's still open. Don't go on
fridays though - that's bathtime.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:15 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

any particular palace?????
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:23 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming Emirates Palace??...
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

THE Palace. (Emirates Palace). It's called the "ladies beach" might be closed now for the construction of another palace now though. Water is very clean there and not too many Jet skis.

Otherwise go through the heritage village and down on to the beach. Seems a bit cleaner than the Corniche side - loads of twats on jet skis though.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hunh!? Never been to the Musandam peninsula. Gotta do it. Drive North and keep going, when you hit water; you are there. Great place to vist. Stay at the Golden Tulip, a 3* hotel which stretches the *'s but is a good place.
I know I know- I still don't have a car here so guess I'll have to sort that out sooner rather than later! I've still not been to Abu Dhabi ( other than Yas Island)! actually I haven't been anywhere other than Dubai.. I am truly rubbish!