Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So talk to me about beaches...

So talk to me about beaches...

Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:13 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default So talk to me about beaches...

I love a beach. Truly. Having just returned from a few weeks en France, most of which was spent on the Ile de Re with all it's fantastic Atlantic beaches, I'm keen to seek out the best beaches of Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Oman.

I know I'm not going to get breezy ozone big wave beaches but I am looking for the following:

General beach to take the kids to on a regular basis: so somewhere in AD.
Quiet beach for a day trip etc
beach we could camp near to
really stunning beach for weekend trip.

Do you get good waves anywhere in the UAE? I'm not talking surfing- more boogie boarding and wave jumping.

Any nasties in the sea to be aware of?

I keep reading that for a land with a coastline, beaches are hard to come by. To what extent is that true?

I'm out there for the forseeable from Friday... Going to be a but of a bloody culture shock from the easy driving, easy chillout vibe, easy fizz drinking life I've been living for the past three weeks...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:34 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So talk to me about beaches...

Originally Posted by lullabelle View Post
I love a beach. Truly. Having just returned from a few weeks en France, most of which was spent on the Ile de Re with all it's fantastic Atlantic beaches, I'm keen to seek out the best beaches of Abu Dhabi/Dubai/Oman.

I know I'm not going to get breezy ozone big wave beaches but I am looking for the following:

Do you get good waves anywhere in the UAE? I'm not talking surfing- more boogie boarding and wave jumping.

Any nasties in the sea to be aware of?

I keep reading that for a land with a coastline, beaches are hard to come by. To what extent is that true?

I'm out there for the forseeable from Friday... Going to be a but of a bloody culture shock from the easy driving, easy chillout vibe, easy fizz drinking life I've been living for the past three weeks...
In AD we have the newly made corniche beach. It is great for the kids - although we don't' really go in the water as it's a stirred up mess and the jet skis come too close in my opinion.

You could camp on Sadiyat I guess, never done it but I think that's possible. It's where the kite surfers go.

Stunning beaches... humm, you do realise you are coming to the UAE right? probably somewhere in Oman, Fujeriah I guess.

The sea nasties are mostly jelly fish. They are normally around in Sept.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Only mad dogs and Englishmen would venture near any of the UAE beaches at this time of year. Its too ruddy hot and humid, especially for children. Also, from 11th August for 4 weeks, absolutely no eating or drinking on public beaches will be allowed. Leave it until after Ramadan.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

... Going to be a but of a bloody culture shock from the fizz drinking life I've been living for the past three weeks...
Plenty of fizz drinking here...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley View Post
Plenty of fizz drinking here...
Indeed
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
Indeed
Ah here she is the Right Hon Patsy...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:18 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Only mad dogs and Englishmen would venture near any of the UAE beaches at this time of year. Its too ruddy hot and humid, especially for children. Also, from 11th August for 4 weeks, absolutely no eating or drinking on public beaches will be allowed. Leave it until after Ramadan.
oh I wasn't thinking of going to a beach this weekend! The man and small ones aren't coming until early sept anyway. Although the fairer one still won't be allowed out too much: three weeks in France and me and the son are still pale just with added freckles. The husband and daughter are like beach bums. This is for when the weather gets cooler: October good or still too hot?

Grace I'm glad to hear that. Although I bet it's not as cheap! I never get over the thrill of buying wine in France... What's the cost comparison to getting nice wine in the UK?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

oh I wasn't thinking of going to a beach this weekend! The man and small ones aren't coming until early sept anyway. Although the fairer one still won't be allowed out too much: three weeks in France and me and the son are still pale just with added freckles. The husband and daughter are like beach bums. This is for when the weather gets cooler: October good or still too hot?

Grace I'm glad to hear that. Although I bet it's not as cheap! I never get over the thrill of buying wine in France... What's the cost comparison to getting nice wine in the UK?
No, Its not as cheap, but needs must and all that...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai has excellent beaches. Miles after miles of free beaches, azure blue water fringed with white sand. You will only find palm trees at the resorts but Jebel Ali club is a pleasant resort and worth a day trip/overnight from AD.

Oman has the rougher surf as the country faces the Indian Ocean. The sea water isn't as pretty but it is much cooler in the summer months.

The Gulf has a biannual jellyfish season, both which are very brief and easily handled if you keep your eyes peeled for a stray floating white fluff whilst in the water. Visibility in the Gulf is excellent.

The water in the Gulf is fantastic from October-early December, and February-early May. December/January is cold (but still warmer than the English channel in the summer months). July-September is bath water temperature.

Last edited by Ethos83; Aug 8th 2010 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:01 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

As above, Corniche is ok; the little beach between the palaces in DXB nice for this also

Go up to Khasab and charter a dhow to tour around Musandam (dolphins, snorkelling etc) and drop you off at beach to camp they pick you up in the morning

Hmmnn... the beach at Al Qasr is quite nice, you need to stay there but get Wild Wadi for free so works out well for the kids

Beach at Jebel Dhannat is quite cool in that it's sandy enough and shallow enouh to walk out a lonnnng way; pool has a swim up bar. Nice as long as you dont mind background hum from Al Ruwais
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:02 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
Dubai has excellent beaches. Miles after miles of free beaches, azure blue water fringed with white sand. You will only find palm trees at the resorts but Jebel Ali club is a pleasant resort and worth a day trip/overnight from AD.

Oman has the rougher surf as the country faces the Indian Ocean. The sea water isn't as pretty but it is much cooler in the summer months.

The Gulf has a biannual jellyfish season, both which are very brief and easily handled if you keep your eyes peeled for a stray floating white fluff while in the water. Visibility in the Gulf is excellent.

The water in the Gulf is fantastic from October-early December, and February-early May. December/January is cold (but still warmer than the English channel in the summer months). July-September is bath water temperature.
Do you live in the same UAE as I do?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:04 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Originally Posted by ctfc View Post
Go up to Khasab and charter a dhow to tour around Musandam (dolphins, snorkelling etc) and drop you off at beach to camp they pick you up in the morning
I cannot recommend this enough. can't wait to do it again.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:09 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is universally acknowledged that AD has shitty beaches while Dubai has excellent beaches. God's special gift to DXB for not getting the oil.

It ain't the Seychelles but the water is blue, the sand is white and the weather is warm. If you have a little tyke you will be making the trek from AR to Umm Suqeim beach more often than you might imagine.

Oh, I second your Musandum recommendation.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse View Post
Do you live in the same UAE as I do?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:17 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
It is universally acknowledged that AD has shitty beaches while Dubai has excellent beaches. God's special gift to DXB for not getting the oil.

It ain't the Seychelles but the water is blue, the sand is white and the weather is warm. If you have a little tyke you will be making the trek from AR to Umm Suqeim beach more often than you might imagine.

Oh, I second your Musandum recommendation.
Well, I do agree that Dubai beaches are better that is for sure. AD's beaches are not great - the cornice one does has nice facilities though but like I said, the water is a no no.

That said, I've never really got any further up than Jumeriah (and do like the jebel ali beach - it was great until they ruined it with the second palm)
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:34 pm
Perky but sarky

Originally Posted by ctfc View Post

that just put a giant smile on my face. Went some way to combatting my post holiday/pre sandpit blues

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.