Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So take a guess at the 2nd most popular hobby in Britain

So take a guess at the 2nd most popular hobby in Britain

Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So take a guess at the 2nd most popular hobby in Britain

Oh deary deary me.Yet another thread down the toilet.

An innocent enough question again turns out to be islam bashing / middle east bashing. The predictability of it all is rather boring. The last time, a post commenting on poor spelling / grammar turned out to be the same. How do you lot manage to turn it around to your favourite topic so frequently?

For the record, I was was brought up in Bradford, it's my home town. I could speak English fluently BEFORE I arrived there. This usual bollox about 'immigrants not integrating' is sooo boring. My Mum worked as a sewing machinist for thirty years. Every time she left one company, it was due to her being made redundant as the factories were slowly closing down. She worked hard, raised two kids on her own, paid her taxes, made her contribution to the economy and the the community.

Please explain to me how she , my sister ( a graduate, and a Masters graduate ) and myself 'failed to integrate'. What utter rubbish. People who write that really have no clue whatsoever and are just quoting soundbites from whatever trendy media they buy into. Carry on stereotyping if it makes you feel secure.

Pubs have not closed down due to islam. They have closed down due to mismanagement, the economy, the smoking ban, the brewery franchising....

And then we get the usual crap about "oooh the badness of Tower Hamlets.Its no wonder the British National Party are gaining votes. Actually, The Daily Mail is quite a good read,isn't it? ".

I could ask a perfectly reasonable question e.g. What is the temperature in Oman" and hey presto before we know it, it's all the fault of the Muslims in Luton, and don't we all hate the Middle East and lets all laugh at the arabs.

Isn't some poor cat or dog being victimised somewhere? Get a grip. Not surprised LionHeart left this place. There are some proper idiots around.

/rant.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Boomhauer - we are now on page three, reveal the fkn answer?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:16 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam

An innocent enough question again turns out to be islam bashing / middle east bashing. The predictability of it all is rather boring. The last time, a post commenting on poor spelling / grammar turned out to be the same. How do you lot manage to turn it around to your favourite topic so frequently?

For the record, I was was brought up in Bradford, it's my home town. I could speak English fluently BEFORE I arrived there. This usual bollox about 'immigrants not integrating' is sooo boring. My Mum worked as a sewing machinist for thirty years. Every time she left one company, it was due to her being made redundant as the factories were slowly closing down. She worked hard, raised two kids on her own, paid her taxes, made her contribution to the economy and the the community.

Please explain to me how she , my sister ( a graduate, and a Masters graduate ) and myself 'failed to integrate'. What utter rubbish. People who write that really have no clue whatsoever and are just quoting soundbites from whatever trendy media they buy into. Carry on stereotyping if it makes you feel secure.

Pubs have not closed down due to islam. They have closed down due to mismanagement, the economy, the smoking ban, the brewery franchising....

And then we get the usual crap about "oooh the badness of Tower Hamlets.Its no wonder the British National Party are gaining votes. Actually, The Daily Mail is quite a good read,isn't it? ".

I could ask a perfectly reasonable question e.g. What is the temperature in Oman" and hey presto before we know it, it's all the fault of the Muslims in Luton, and don't we all hate the Middle East and lets all laugh at the arabs.

Isn't some poor cat or dog being victimised somewhere? Get a grip. Not surprised LionHeart left this place. There are some proper idiots around.

/rant.
Missing the point completely about NON integration. re tower hamlets it's been the times and it's the issue of radical **** nuggets threatening all non radical members of the community including the British Asian woman working in a chemists (not my description ive never met her) who has been receiving death threats for not covering her hair despite not being a Muslim and her boss being told his shop will be closed if he fails to sack her, also the issue of the ( his official title escapes me) "mayor" of tower hamlets who is openly funded by radical groups and the issue of his election being rigged in a manner more akin to zimbawaye than a UK election. The same idiot was backed by labour until they realised what had been happening. There are murmers that Muslims were under threat should they not vote for him.

Hardly what I'd call crap more an alarming situation where residents of all creeds are being forced to live by and under the rules of a fanatical minority who use violence as a means to achieve their aims. Hardly a defendable position but wo be unto they who dare to voice concern for they must all be ignorant racist bastards.

As for myself I'd be just as vociferous were they radical seventh day Adventists by to be honest they tend to keep a low profile these days although I do know one here oddly enough and funnily enough he does keep a low profile
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:16 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the OP question:

shopping?
using t'interweb?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:18 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Trainspotting.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
Boomhauer - we are now on page three, reveal the fkn answer?
Sorry, was sleeping

Yes it is Railway Modelling as I learned reading well known (to railway modellers) publications and books. I don't know where I stashed my collection so unfortunately can't find the source material. I recall distinctly that railway modelling was mentioned as 2nd most popular after angling and the #1 most popular hobby amongst the clergy.

I forgot about gardening so realistically I think Railway Modelling is number 3.

This is the only online source I could find with a few minute search
Whatever the reason, there must be something to explain why, after angling, model railways are Britain’s second most popular hobby.
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...8870065.print/
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Sorry, was sleeping

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...l-railway1.jpg

Yes it is Railway Modelling as I learned reading well known (to railway modellers) publications and books. I don't know where I stashed my collection so unfortunately can't find the source material. I recall distinctly that railway modelling was mentioned as 2nd most popular after angling and the #1 most popular hobby amongst the clergy.

I forgot about gardening so realistically I think Railway Modelling is number 3.

Sorry, but I didn't believe the original premise - angling? Most popular? I don't believe that........ what sort of numbers are we talking about? And can we now see the source of the data/survey please?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:48 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Sorry, was sleeping

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...l-railway1.jpg

oh jeez...I cannot imagine being with a guy who is into that, no matter how nice he was, if he told me (or showed me) about his train sets I'd be gone. It's stupid.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:23 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
oh jeez...I cannot imagine being with a guy who is into that, no matter how nice he was, if he told me (or showed me) about his train sets I'd be gone. It's stupid.
Exactly. I don't believe it for one second. Same goes for Angling.

It's the same news category as a press release that says "Toothpaste company claims toothpaste prevents cancer" – i.e. bullshit.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
I agree with you

"Helllo lickle girl - want to come and see me train set ?" just doesnt have the same ring !

I cant believe that angling or train sets are more popular than football

Last edited by UKCityGent; Jun 20th 2011 at 3:55 am. Reason: .
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:32 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam

/rant.
Stop talking posts that were not entirely serious personally.

And as for bashing Islam...given Muslims have been on the aggressive side of attacks on non-Muslims throughout the world since AD622 you might want to keep quiet on that one. Islam isn't immune to criticism any more than Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Spaghetti Monsterism or any other religion or ideology.

By all means do a lionheart if you don't like it here.

N.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:48 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
I agree with you

"Helllo lickle girl - want to come and see me train set ?" just doesnt have the same ring !

I cant believe that angling or train sets are more popular than football
I can...football as a hobby (which means playing it, not just watching it) isn't that popular because it involves exercise and moving about

N.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by shiva
You'll be thrilled with what's happening in tower hamlets in London the norm, if you're unaware I'll leave you the joy of googling it in news
Oh I already know.

I do feel sorry for the coming bloodshed in Britain and in other countries because of these issues though...it's a pity two generations of politicians and their failed social experiments couldn't have the foresight to avoid this by taking firm steps 40 years and no give all immigrants passports, only renewable work visas.

Still that's all racist of me to say that so I'll go now and send my hooded white robes to the dry cleaners because commenting on these issues makes me like one of those nutters doesn't it?

N.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
. . . so I'll go now and send my hooded white robes to the dry cleaners because commenting on these issues makes me like one of those nutters doesn't it?

N.
"- Where's the White Women at?"
Cleavon Little (Blazing Saddles)
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by irich
On the basis of the replies I'd have to say 'rampant racism'

What do I win, a gollywog?
A hooded white robe and Hitler Youth knife...lucky sod.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.