British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   So Newcastle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/so-newcastle-608611/)

Blue Cat May 12th 2009 4:19 am

So Newcastle

WON :eek::eek::eek:

littlejimmy May 12th 2009 4:25 am

Re: So Newcastle

Dodgy offside decision for the second goal....

**** it, we deserve to go down. I just wish it hadn't been the Geordies who banged that final nail in our PL coffin.

Blue Cat May 12th 2009 4:27 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7563429)
Dodgy offside decision for the second goal....

**** it, we deserve to go down. I just wish it hadn't been the Geordies who banged that final nail in our PL coffin.

your ears may well have been burning last night as your name was mentioned a couple of times here, especially after the first goal from the smoggies, I went to bed at half time.

littlejimmy May 12th 2009 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7563433)
your ears may well have been burning last night as your name was mentioned a couple of times here, especially after the first goal from the smoggies, I went to bed at half time.

I hope they weren't too harsh words!

I wish I'd gone to bed instead of watching it. It spoiled an otherwise nice evening after going to the Laughter Factory comedy gig at the Ramada.

Blue Cat May 12th 2009 4:39 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7563438)
I hope they weren't too harsh words!

I wish I'd gone to bed instead of watching it. It spoiled an otherwise nice evening after going to the Laughter Factory comedy gig at the Ramada.

not at all, I said well Little Jimmy will be happy and Spugsy will be ordering another sambuca :)

Sandboy May 12th 2009 5:09 am

knew the jammy gits would get away with it

come on Fulham !

Blue Cat May 12th 2009 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7563509)
knew the jammy gits would get away with it

come on Fulham !

mmm where is Meow :p

Sandboy May 12th 2009 5:18 am

I've booked a hotel for the last weekend, no sitting watching and biting nails, I'll just lie by the pool, drink mesel silly and take what's coming

doesn't hurt after the first 7 times :D

Meow May 12th 2009 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7563513)
mmm where is Meow :p

Here but yawning from staying up to watch that game. The Toon should have brought Martins on earlier IMO, although looking at the replays that second goal should have been offside.

Back luck Boro - could have gone either way, esp if that Emnes (sp?) had been a bit luckier. That lad looks to be a tasty player.

Fulham really ought to beat Newcastle at the weekend. One match (against another relegation contender) doesn't suddenly make you a good team. We are sitting in 7th place for a reason and we're at home.

Damned cross I will miss the match as I will be flying. :(

-

Blue Cat May 12th 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7563594)
Here but yawning from staying up to watch that game. The Toon should have brought Martins on earlier IMO, although looking at the replays that second goal should have been offside.

Back luck Boro - could have gone either way, esp if that Emnes (sp?) had been a bit luckier. That lad looks to be a tasty player.

Fulham really ought to beat Newcastle at the weekend. One match (against another relegation contender) doesn't suddenly make you a good team. We are sitting in 7th place for a reason and we're at home.

-

:fingerscrossed: for both sides :)

Spugsy May 12th 2009 6:39 am

-

Martins has a groin injury and is playing through the pain, so we can't use him for full games, but he makes a big difference.

We'll beat you.

Sandboy May 12th 2009 7:43 am

-

you'd miss it anyway if you went to the cottage, isn't it at Sid James ?

Sandboy May 12th 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7563637)
Martins has a groin injury and is playing through the pain, so we can't use him for full games, but he makes a big difference.

We'll beat you.

strong rumours yesterday that he cried off injured when asked to play on the right wing.. cracking player when he can be arsed but that isn't that often, still more effective than Owen though

another theory is Fulham don't really want to get into Europe, that new competition means umpteen games which would be a burden on their small squad

lionheart May 12th 2009 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7563774)
another theory is Fulham don't really want to get into Europe, that new competition means umpteen games which would be a burden on their small squad

Somebody on Showtime Arabia mentioned that too. Better to let the big clubs represent England in the competition. Whoever wins at White Hart Lane this weekend may still snatch 7th place, but it may go down to the wire.

Sandboy May 12th 2009 8:02 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7563790)
Somebody on Showtime Arabia mentioned that too. Better to let the big clubs represent England in the competition. Whoever wins at White Hart Lane this weekend may still snatch 7th place, but it may go down to the wire.

big clubs my arse, that is such a Sky creation, just what constitutes a big club ?

Fulham will beat the skunks and qualify because they have been the better team over the season. I hope anyway

Spugsy May 12th 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7563770)
you'd miss it anyway if you went to the cottage, isn't it at Sid James ?

aye and Fulham don't travel very well.

Spugsy May 12th 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7563774)
strong rumours yesterday that he cried off injured when asked to play on the right wing.. cracking player when he can be arsed but that isn't that often, still more effective than Owen though

yeah he asked not to play a few times, Big Al told him 'you bloody well are'.

Sandboy May 12th 2009 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7563808)

one of the best away records since the turn of the year mind

littlejimmy May 12th 2009 8:41 am

The Sky TV Geordie love-in was quite sickening. Everyone's second favourite club my arse. Perennial, deluded losers, more like!

Anyway, good shout on Emnes, Ms. Meow. He did look sharp. Problem is he just hasn't been given the chance this season after we bought him from Sparta Rotterdam last summer. Southgate's man management and tactical ability are zilch. The only plus about going down is the he HAS to go. Shame, because he has tainted the memory of what a great player he was for us.

Meow May 12th 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7563808)

That was last season. We are such a different team this year, hence our place, yet still people keep underestimating us.

We beat Newcastle 2-1 in November and despite last night's result you really are no better.

-

Spugsy May 12th 2009 9:51 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7563898)
The Sky TV Geordie love-in was quite sickening. Everyone's second favourite club my arse. Perennial, deluded losers, more like!

Anyway, good shout on Emnes, Ms. Meow. He did look sharp. Problem is he just hasn't been given the chance this season after we bought him from Sparta Rotterdam last summer. Southgate's man management and tactical ability are zilch. The only plus about going down is the he HAS to go. Shame, because he has tainted the memory of what a great player he was for us.

I bet you don't sack him.

Spugsy May 12th 2009 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7563984)
That was last season. We are such a different team this year, hence our place, yet still people keep underestimating us.

We beat Newcastle 2-1 in November and despite last night's result you really are no better.

-

ah I'm not saying we are the better team, you lot have been ok most of the season and then finished really strongly, I think Hodgson has done a great job.

I still think we'll win though, we are desperate for points, after last night we have some belief and it'll be our last home game, we'll be totally up for it.

BangleMan May 12th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7564095)
I bet you don't sack him.

thats cos he is Steve Gibson's illegitimate lovechild.....must be, cos what other reason could there be for looking so pig ugly ?

Spugsy May 12th 2009 10:04 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7564111)
thats cos he is Steve Gibson's illegitimate lovechild.....must be, cos what other reason could there be for looking so pig ugly ?

erm...http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...o-Zola-002.jpg

BangleMan May 12th 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7564123)

oii....you leave our little horse faced midget out of this....

The man is a god !

Meow May 12th 2009 10:07 am

Are any of the EPL managers attractive?

-

Spugsy May 12th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7564127)
oii....you leave our little horse faced midget out of this....

The man is a god !

he certainly has turned you into a half decent team.

BangleMan May 12th 2009 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7564129)
he certainly has turned you into a half decent team.

I think he will do even better next season.....if (and appreciate its a big if) we can get the likes of Ashton, Cole, Parker, Dyer, Collins, Gabbidon, Behrami all fully fit, and maybe add one or two new faces, I genuinely havent looked forward to a new season this much in a long time

I know we arent going to win the league, we may win the odd cup every 20 years, but bottom line is as a season ticket holder, I want to see them play good football, and for the most part we are doing that under Zola / Clarke, and it isnt even comparable to the turgid garbage we saw most of the time under Curbishly

There seems to be a very good team spirit in the camp, and they all respect Zola, which is the difference between him and the likes of Pardew and Curbishley etc

Spugsy May 12th 2009 10:15 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7564147)
I think he will do even better next season.....if (and appreciate its a big if) we can get the likes of Ashton, Cole, Parker, Dyer, Collins, Gabbidon, Behrami all fully fit, and maybe add one or two new faces, I genuinely havent looked forward to a new season this much in a long time

I know we arent going to win the league, we may win the odd cup every 20 years, but bottom line is as a season ticket holder, I want to see them play good football, and for the most part we are doing that under Zola / Clarke, and it isnt even comparable to the turgid garbage we saw most of the time under Curbishly

There seems to be a very good team spirit in the camp, and they all respect Zola, which is the difference between him and the likes of Pardew and Curbishley etc

aye well he was a legend and he only retired not so long ago, and yeah you have some good young players coming through, that's what we need to work on next season, although our pairing of taylor and bassong worked well last night.

BangleMan May 12th 2009 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7564155)
aye well he was a legend and he only retired not so long ago, and yeah you have some good young players coming through, that's what we need to work on next season, although our pairing of taylor and bassong worked well last night.

i think most fans like nothing better than 'one of their own' coming through the ranks, at least you feel as if they have an assocaition with the club / fans, as opposed to some French or Ghanian twat who had never heard of your club until his agent told him they wanted to buy him, and who kisses the badge one minute and sods off the next

we have some good ones just now, Noble, Collison, Stanislas, Sears and Tomkins are all regulars or have broken into the team, plus we have another couple who have been on the subs bench recently...so things looking good.

The problem as ever, i.e. Lampard, Ferdinand x 2, Defoe, J.Cole, Carrick, G.Johnson to name but a few is trying to hang onto them when the big boys come sniffing

I would love it if one day, just once, when Man Utd or Liverpool or Chelsea have made a bid for one of the home grown guys, that he goes on live TV to say that they could poke whatever contract they were offering, and not to bother coming back, cos his dream was to play for West Ham, the club he has always supported, and loves......a pipe dream I guess

Spugsy May 12th 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7564191)
i think most fans like nothing better than 'one of their own' coming through the ranks, at least you feel as if they have an assocaition with the club / fans, as opposed to some French or Ghanian twat who had never heard of your club until his agent told him they wanted to buy him, and who kisses the badge one minute and sods off the next

we have some good ones just now, Noble, Collison, Stanislas, Sears and Tomkins are all regulars or have broken into the team, plus we have another couple who have been on the subs bench recently...so things looking good.

The problem as ever, i.e. Lampard, Ferdinand x 2, Defoe, J.Cole, Carrick, G.Johnson to name but a few is trying to hang onto them when the big boys come sniffing

I would love it if one day, just once, when Man Utd or Liverpool or Chelsea have made a bid for one of the home grown guys, that he goes on live TV to say that they could poke whatever contract they were offering, and not to bother coming back, cos his dream was to play for West Ham, the club he has always supported, and loves......a pipe dream I guess

not much chance of that I'm afraid though.

FunnyFeline May 12th 2009 9:00 pm

:o :o Ah well, being a Boro lass I am sad...but well done the Geordies (I lived there for a while, so love Newcastle).

:cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_s mile:

littlejimmy May 13th 2009 5:19 am

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7565945)
:o :o Ah well, being a Boro lass I am sad...but well done the Geordies (I lived there for a while, so love Newcastle).

:cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_smile::cry_s mile:

What are you saying? My God!

Spugsy May 13th 2009 5:26 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7566788)

heh heh!

Blue Cat May 13th 2009 5:36 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7566788)

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7566799)
heh heh!

a woman who holds no grudges :)

littlejimmy May 13th 2009 6:40 am

I actually watched the match at a Geordie mate's apartment along with another Boro fan and the Geordie's missus was going on to us like "Ah, you have to be happy for Shearer, don't you?"

NO! I don't think you get it, pet!