British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   So long and thanks for all the dates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/so-long-thanks-all-dates-898986/)

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 5:33 am

So long and thanks for all the dates

Well the time has come, come around bloody fast as well really once things started going.

We are out of here on wednesday.

After a 12 years stint its time to go home (whatever that means).

The packers have been and gone, dewa is cancelled, banks are closed and all the boxes ticked. I even have a parting gift of etisalat owing me money and the catch 22 of getting it back into now closed accounts and now cancelled visas. Such is life and I expected nothing less from the UAE but if thats the only cost of exit I'll take it.

We made the decision months ago and have been downsizing, closing down and relocating steadily ever since but bloody hell has it gone fast.

Our shit bucket isnt full and nor is the money bucket but the maths just doesn't make sense for us anymore so its off home to try something new for the Mrs and expand my ongoing project thats grown accidentally.

I'll be back for work from time to time in the winter which will be nice but the aim is to tune out and drop out of the rat race to a degree.

After 20 + years in cities its time to live in the boonies, slow life down and reflect on life to the sound of tractors and not traffic. If it all goes to plan we will be running our own things and be able to be truly flexible with our time.

Dubai has been a mixed bag but it ever was thus. We are leaving with fond memories far outweighing the bad and who knows maybe we'll come back one day permanently or go somewhere else.

The bored might be a bit quiet these days but I'm sure itll swing back into life at some point and its been fun to waste time here and get the occasional help needed from current and past members.

I'm sure I'll pop in from time to time as we are by no means turning our back on the town or people and as I say if it all goes to plan I'll be back a good few times a year.

So, So long and thanks for all the dates, Mushkilas, Inshallahs , catch 22s and everything UAE, its been a blast and a ballache all at the same time but I wouldnt have had it any other way.

ma salama

ExpatAl Jul 3rd 2017 6:25 am

Re: So long and thanks for all the dates

Best of luck Shiva!

BEVS Jul 3rd 2017 6:29 am

Hey. Please do not be a stranger.

I love this Bored and all you guys here.

Updates needed

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ExpatAl (Post 12285607)
Best of luck Shiva!

Thanks

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12285608)
Hey. Please do not be a stranger.

I love this Bored and all you guys here.

Updates needed

I wont and I will.

Dubaiexile Jul 3rd 2017 7:27 am

All the best, and enjoy life in the boonies!!

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 3rd 2017 7:32 am

All the very best mate, enjoy. :thumbup:

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile (Post 12285621)
All the best, and enjoy life in the boonies!!

thanks

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12285626)
All the very best mate, enjoy. :thumbup:

thanks and im pretty sure i will until mid january....

Millhouse Jul 3rd 2017 8:35 am

That's a great outcome mate. I'm pleased that you're leaving on your own terms and with fond memories. You've made it work.

Well done.

DXBtoDOH Jul 3rd 2017 8:43 am

I have fond memories of Scotland in midwinter ;)

12 years is a long run for the UAE.

Have a great return home. I'm looking forward to my own repatriation at some point.

jam25mack Jul 3rd 2017 9:14 am

Good work!

Enjoy!

mission Jul 3rd 2017 10:08 am

adios amigo....wish you the best back in good 'ole blighty :)

TheShed Jul 3rd 2017 10:47 am

Good luck Shiva, hopefully I will have a similar story in the next 18 months or so

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12285650)
That's a great outcome mate. I'm pleased that you're leaving on your own terms and with fond memories. You've made it work.

Well done.

thanks. couldve been better, could've been a lot worse.

had a great time and standard of life, could've saved more but then would've had a different decade.

Going home clean, debt free and able to come back anytime and before any dubai rot set in and with the ability to take a chance in relative safety while we try something different. if it works grand, if it doesnt we'll come back and save some more.

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12285657)
I have fond memories of Scotland in midwinter ;)

12 years is a long run for the UAE.

Have a great return home. I'm looking forward to my own repatriation at some point.

im hoping my winter escapes will suffice. and yeah its been a long run but ill miss bits of the place

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12285671)
Good work!

Enjoy!

thanks

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12285693)
adios amigo....wish you the best back in good 'ole blighty :)

thanks

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12285733)
Good luck Shiva, hopefully I will have a similar story in the next 18 months or so

fingers crossed mate. we may be 18 months early but the costs to earnings ratio and savings makes it worth a punt now

littlejimmy Jul 3rd 2017 12:24 pm

All the best, Shiva. I've enjoyed reading your contributions on here through the years. :thumbup:

Ditzy Jul 3rd 2017 12:37 pm

Good Luck Shiva and all the best.

al dente Jul 3rd 2017 12:50 pm

Where in the boonies have you chosen? I always enjoy a 'leaving on one's on accord' story, well done.

You'll probably be on here more than ever if you are stuck in the hills with no interesting neighbours. xx

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12285772)
All the best, Shiva. I've enjoyed reading your contributions on here through the years. :thumbup:

thanks buddy

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ditzy (Post 12285780)
Good Luck Shiva and all the best.

thanks

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 12285790)
Where in the boonies have you chosen? I always enjoy a 'leaving on one's on accord' story, well done.

You'll probably be on here more than ever if you are stuck in the hills with no interesting neighbours. xx

Dumfriesshire. about as rural as it gets these days.

battle one will be internet connections but its amazing what politicians commit to in democracies!

Thanks, not entirely on our own accord but the numbers are the numbers. I'd have liked another wee crash to drop prices for another year or two first but itll have to do.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 3rd 2017 2:11 pm

Aw man, hate to see you go (leaving fewer of us rational beings to the privations of the rabid Daily Mailers...) but best of luck! If you're bored please do butt in!! Like others, I plan to up sticks in a year also inshallah!

shiva Jul 3rd 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12285838)
Aw man, hate to see you go (leaving fewer of us rational beings to the privations of the rabid Daily Mailers...) but best of luck! If you're bored please do butt in!! Like others, I plan to up sticks in a year also inshallah!

oh im sure there will be lots of opportunities to pop back and to say I told you ****ing so once brexit bites fully

Millhouse Jul 3rd 2017 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 12285919)
oh im sure there will be lots of opportunities to pop back and to say I told you ****ing so once brexit bites fully

It's a smart move. you're going to blighty at the right time to fully take advantage of the post brexit industrial, financial and technological renaissance.

shiva Jul 4th 2017 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12286098)
It's a smart move. you're going to blighty at the right time to fully take advantage of the post brexit industrial, financial and technological renaissance.

im taking the optimistic view and focusing on supporting the recession hit industries whilst wringing my hands at the thought of a housing crash and share slump

Meow Jul 4th 2017 7:06 am

Best of luck with your move Shiva. Please don't be a total stranger and at least pop in when the weather is really crap in the UK to make us feel better. ;)

Hope you and Mrs S will be very happy.

x

UKCityGent Jul 4th 2017 8:53 am

Good luck and hope it works out ..

shiva Jul 4th 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12286367)
Best of luck with your move Shiva. Please don't be a total stranger and at least pop in when the weather is really crap in the UK to make us feel better. ;)

Hope you and Mrs S will be very happy.

x

I will do and thanks

shiva Jul 4th 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 12286446)
Good luck and hope it works out ..

thanks

Johnnyboy11 Jul 4th 2017 12:18 pm

All the best, from a fellow Scot. I've enjoyed your posts, always adding to the discussion.

I might be joining you shortly, given the stooshie between Qatar and all its neighbours...

shiva Jul 4th 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12286582)
All the best, from a fellow Scot. I've enjoyed your posts, always adding to the discussion.

I might be joining you shortly, given the stooshie between Qatar and all its neighbours...

thanks, fingers crossed it all blows over without a shot

Millhouse Jul 6th 2017 6:24 am

Originally Posted by TITAN2 (Post 12287935)
Going to miss you Millhouse! I'm not much of a poster but i'm an avid reader and you are undoubtedly my favorite poster. I'll miss your sense of humour and unique take on current events. The board won't be the same without you.

:sad_smile:

It's not me that's leaving bro, it's Shiva. But I feel the same. :lol:

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 6th 2017 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12287936)
It's not me that's leaving bro, it's Shiva. But I feel the same. :lol:

Why did you have to go and spoil it? To put it in terms you will relate to: that was like your partner/parent walking in just when you're at the cusp of solitary ecstasy...

Autonomy Jul 7th 2017 6:45 am

Shiva - All the best mate. It's been a pleasure knowing you through the bored, always a source of great local knowledge and intelligent insights.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have a pint with you.

Until then - Slainte mhath

shiva Jul 7th 2017 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 12288849)
Shiva - All the best mate. It's been a pleasure knowing you through the bored, always a source of great local knowledge and intelligent insights.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have a pint with you.

Until then - Slainte mhath

inshallah and thanks

weasel decentral Jul 12th 2017 10:51 am

Good luck geezer. Hope the new adventure goes well. Need a replacement to balance up the right wing nut cases on here now:)