Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So long and thanks for all the dates

So long and thanks for all the dates

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 5:33 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default So long and thanks for all the dates

Well the time has come, come around bloody fast as well really once things started going.

We are out of here on wednesday.

After a 12 years stint its time to go home (whatever that means).

The packers have been and gone, dewa is cancelled, banks are closed and all the boxes ticked. I even have a parting gift of etisalat owing me money and the catch 22 of getting it back into now closed accounts and now cancelled visas. Such is life and I expected nothing less from the UAE but if thats the only cost of exit I'll take it.

We made the decision months ago and have been downsizing, closing down and relocating steadily ever since but bloody hell has it gone fast.

Our shit bucket isnt full and nor is the money bucket but the maths just doesn't make sense for us anymore so its off home to try something new for the Mrs and expand my ongoing project thats grown accidentally.

I'll be back for work from time to time in the winter which will be nice but the aim is to tune out and drop out of the rat race to a degree.

After 20 + years in cities its time to live in the boonies, slow life down and reflect on life to the sound of tractors and not traffic. If it all goes to plan we will be running our own things and be able to be truly flexible with our time.

Dubai has been a mixed bag but it ever was thus. We are leaving with fond memories far outweighing the bad and who knows maybe we'll come back one day permanently or go somewhere else.

The bored might be a bit quiet these days but I'm sure itll swing back into life at some point and its been fun to waste time here and get the occasional help needed from current and past members.

I'm sure I'll pop in from time to time as we are by no means turning our back on the town or people and as I say if it all goes to plan I'll be back a good few times a year.

So, So long and thanks for all the dates, Mushkilas, Inshallahs , catch 22s and everything UAE, its been a blast and a ballache all at the same time but I wouldnt have had it any other way.

ma salama
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: So long and thanks for all the dates

Best of luck Shiva!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 6:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey. Please do not be a stranger.

I love this Bored and all you guys here.

Updates needed
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 6:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Best of luck Shiva!
Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 6:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hey. Please do not be a stranger.

I love this Bored and all you guys here.

Updates needed
I wont and I will.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

All the best, and enjoy life in the boonies!!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

All the very best mate, enjoy.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:32 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
All the best, and enjoy life in the boonies!!
thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:33 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Scamp
All the very best mate, enjoy.
thanks and im pretty sure i will until mid january....
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great outcome mate. I'm pleased that you're leaving on your own terms and with fond memories. You've made it work.

Well done.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I have fond memories of Scotland in midwinter

12 years is a long run for the UAE.

Have a great return home. I'm looking forward to my own repatriation at some point.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Good work!

Enjoy!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

adios amigo....wish you the best back in good 'ole blighty
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:47 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Shiva, hopefully I will have a similar story in the next 18 months or so
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 11:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's a great outcome mate. I'm pleased that you're leaving on your own terms and with fond memories. You've made it work.

Well done.
thanks. couldve been better, could've been a lot worse.

had a great time and standard of life, could've saved more but then would've had a different decade.

Going home clean, debt free and able to come back anytime and before any dubai rot set in and with the ability to take a chance in relative safety while we try something different. if it works grand, if it doesnt we'll come back and save some more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.