Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So if you were king or Queen of the world...

So if you were king or Queen of the world...

Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So if you were king or Queen of the world...

To my previous list of crimes requiring harsh punishment I'd like to add misuse of the apostrophe, particularly the random use with plurals.

Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
To my previous list of crimes requiring harsh punishment I'd like to add misuse of the apostrophe, particularly the random use with plurals.

And double punishment for two adjacent possessives, one with and one without an apostrophe (I seem to recall "Idea's recommendations", meaning "ideas or recommendations").

In addition, tongue stapling for people who say "starting from". A price range, a race or an event doesn't start "from", it starts "at". Aggghhhhh.....
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:20 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
And double punishment for two adjacent possessives, one with and one without an apostrophe (I seem to recall "Idea's recommendations", meaning "ideas or recommendations").

In addition, tongue stapling for people who say "starting from". A price range, a race or an event doesn't start "from", it starts "at". Aggghhhhh.....
And the use of "less" instead of "fewer", as in when you go to the supermarket and the sign says "10 ITEMS OR LESS".
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

People who say 'fed up of' when the proper phrase is 'fed up with'.

I'm really fed up with people who abuse the English language.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

How do you people sleep at night worrying about these things? Or is it a case of just boring yourself to sleep?
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:08 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
How do you people sleep at night worrying about these things? Or is it a case of just boring yourself to sleep?

I am a persistent insomniac, so it's a case of whatever helps.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

And BTW........... what's a "sustificate"??

"I got a sustificate when I passed my exam", etc.............
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

People who say 'fed up of' when the proper phrase is 'fed up with'.

I'm really fed up with people who abuse the English language.
I get irritated by the same spackers that you're mentioning in bold here.

But, I can normally let it slide and just take a deep breath. The things that I find difficult to stomach (particularly in the office);

'mate' - I'm not your ****ing mate. Also, calling your Director 'mate' is not acceptable, it's a matter of time before he has you for dinner.
'like' - We are not in California, or the OC or in One Tree Hill. Go and like jump off a like bridge.
'ain't' - You just sound like an absolute thundercnut.
'your' and 'you're' - I don't care if it has an extra letter and bit of punctuation in it. Just type them and you sound instantly more intelligent.

Those are three that regularly bug me. There are millions more.

I'm not perfect but I know how to use the language. I can't pull someone up on 'less' or 'fewer' at Tesco's because it just doesn't bother me.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:42 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The Dean
And BTW........... what's a "sustificate"??

"I got a sustificate when I passed my exam", etc.............

Said by the same idiots who refer to secetaries, say pacific instead of specific and ask for an expresso.

And don't start me on Americans who say 'erbs (Why? They aren't French) and carmelise (meaning caramelise).

I may need to get out more
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:47 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Said by the same idiots who refer to secetaries, say pacific instead of specific and ask for an expresso.

And don't start me on Americans who say 'erbs (Why? They aren't French) and carmelise (meaning caramelise).

Both of us could go out together with one another to one of you're favorite restaurant's.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yo-ghurt, Pro-ject etc. Aussies and Kiwi's need a slap for that.

'Aluminum' is definitely not a word.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:48 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Both of us could go out together with one another to one of you're favorite restaurant's.
*shudder*

*adds Bahtatboy to The List*
Old Jun 29th 2011, 11:49 am
Hit 16's

*shudder*

*adds Bahtatboy to The List*
Thought I was on it already.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 1:41 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: So if you were king or Queen of the world...

Using the word “like” to start sentences constantly? I like the habit some people have of using the term ‘rah-rah-rah’ to describe some trivial thing another person was saying.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if a person is a native English speaker, no matter from which English speaking country, then yes, they should know how to use the language they were taught.
If a person writes a CV or a letter, they can use spell check.
So there is no need for misspelling or the use of wrong words.

But, if a person is not a native English speaker, one should be understanding towards their mistakes.

And of course, as there are several English speaking countries, we should understand and respect the way they use their language.

Oh, I am not a native English speaker and I am too lazy to use spell check.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.