Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

So...how was the racing thingy...

So...how was the racing thingy...

Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:36 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default So...how was the racing thingy...

any comments on the event...pics even...
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:49 am
W10

Default Re: So...how was the racing thingy...

Organisation was a shambles - which is a shame as last year it was pretty efficient.

Pretty much took a minimum of three hours to get in (once you'd reached the car park), I know quite a few people who turned around and went home. And saw tonnes of people getting back onto buses to take them back at 5pm after they'd queued for over an hour at the entrance.

Once inside it was the usual mix of elegance (20%) and mutton dressed as lamb (80%)

Oh, and I finished down :-(

Won't be going again.

Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you place bets at the races?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
Organisation was a shambles - which is a shame as last year it was pretty efficient.

Pretty much took a minimum of three hours to get in (once you'd reached the car park), I know quite a few people who turned around and went home. And saw tonnes of people getting back onto buses to take them back at 5pm after they'd queued for over an hour at the entrance.

Once inside it was the usual mix of elegance (20%) and mutton dressed as lamb (80%)

Oh, and I finished down :-(

Won't be going again.
Second that.....

Just a little taster of what was meant to be a fun day out!

1. Taxi to Car-park for Gate 7/8 (no drop off at Racecourse..fair enough)
2. Complementary bus from Car-park (borrowed from Arabtec by the looks of them) to Racecourse, Gate 7/8 to pick up pre-booked tickets..Sorry Sir, not here but back at Car-park. Sorry but you must go there!
3. Bus back to Carpark 7/8..ticket distribution now at Car-park for Gate 4.
4. Trek to Carpark 4. Wait one hour in massive queue to pick up tickets - dozens and dozens of people but with just two girls with the biggest pile of emails ever - manually checking!
5. Finally got tickets...but buses from Car-park 4 only run to gate 4...makes sense I suppose.
6. Have to walk back to Car-park 7/8 to get correct bus.
7. Arrive back at racecourse (now + 2 hours from original arrival to be confronted with the most horrendous queue...everybody is being scanned bags / person (airport sytle) but only two scanners..They must have enlisted BAA's help for that...
8. Finally get into course more than 3.5 hours after first arriving at the event..
9. As for returning home.......

.....you get the picture:curse:

Never ever ever again!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

ssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud ofssuh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chris79
Can you place bets at the races?
No.

Only off-course.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i had a great time...silks opened at 2pm so we got there early and didn't have to queue...

but overall, organisation was shockingly bad...the queues looked horrendous and i know loads of people who were standing in the heat for 2/3 hours...not getting in til waaay after the racing started...

i don't have any pix...patsy stoned has some, i'm sure she'll post them later!!

MM, xx
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Very happy I didn't go
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:24 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

There were quite a few pink frocks around!!! glad you had a great time, it looked good on the telly
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

As MM said we had a great day, no queues, lots of free flowing champagne and gorgeous little eaty things............. all in all a fab day,
we must have been the 20% elegance
And like MM I felt so sorry for the people in the queue for the International village.Lets hope they sort it out for next year.
Attached Thumbnails So...how was the racing thingy...-sany0405%7E2.jpg   So...how was the racing thingy...-sany0408%7E1.jpg   So...how was the racing thingy...-sany0415%7E1.jpg  
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:05 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
As MM said we had a great day, no queues, lots of free flowing champagne and gorgeous little eaty things............. all in all a fab day,
we must have been the 20% elegance
And like MM I felt so sorry for the people in the queue for the International village.Lets hope they sort it out for next year.
Come on then, I know MM but can we get a note of who the other belles at the ball were...????
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Come on then, I know MM but can we get a note of who the other belles at the ball were...????
patsy is the one in black and white...the others don't post on BE...

MM, xx
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

you mean you didnt find them?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I am the one in black and cream....the other girls are not on this board
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:08 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Dont think I asked for their BE names, thought I would get a few names for good ole jason...........lol
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
hahahahaaaa SNAP!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.