Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Snorkelling info please.............

Snorkelling info please.............

Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Snorkelling info please.............

Suggest a place (in the UAE) where some quite young and not particularly strong swimmers can gently float around and see some pretty-coloured fishy-wishy, please........?

Nowhere that's got strong tides............

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:14 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snorkelling info please.............

Originally Posted by The Dean
Suggest a place (in the UAE) where some quite young and not particularly strong swimmers can gently float around and see some pretty-coloured fishy-wishy, please........?

Nowhere that's got strong tides............

Thanks in advance.
Snoppy Rock is popular and you can stay very cheaply at the Sandy Beach bungalows - you can do your own BBQ - we go quite a lot.

The snorkelling is pretty good - however - at high tide you will need to swim out about 50m to the rock. The water can get quite deep - though it is generally very very calm.

I've seen turtles quite often there, who lot of fishy-wishys but also several 6 ft + black tip reef sharks up close...

Musandam is also very good - you need to hire a dhow which is good fun and you'll see dolphins on the way...
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Snoppy Rock is popular and you can stay very cheaply at the Sandy Beach bungalows - you can do your own BBQ - we go quite a lot.

The snorkelling is pretty good - however - at high tide you will need to swim out about 50m to the rock. The water can get quite deep - though it is generally very very calm.

I've seen turtles quite often there, who lot of fishy-wishys but also several 6 ft + black tip reef sharks up close...

Musandam is also very good - you need to hire a dhow which is good fun and you'll see dolphins on the way...
Is Musandam in Oman?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

not much at Snoopy these days though is there ? red algae killed all the coral and the fish pissed off

shark once scared the living daylights out of me there

still my favourite weekend away mind, fill the car with beer and meat and off you go, the accommodation is shit but you're only in it a few hous and in a coma anyway

and you can do flaming arseholes along the beach
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

what prey tell is a flaming arsehole? The mind boggles!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
what prey tell is a flaming arsehole? The mind boggles!
take 3-4 drunk people, naked from the waist

each gets a length of toilet roll, kitchen roll for the brave. You must stick one end up yer hoop

soak paper in bbq lighter fluid

set fire to paper and whoever runs the furthest without getting burned is the winner
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

oo classy!

Think I might just give that a miss!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Is Musandam in Oman?
Yes it is.

I went to Musandam at the weekend, did the dhow cruise. They stopped twice for snorkelling, clear water and plenty of fish. Also saw some dolphins, when they spotted them they cruised on over, then sped up to top speed which encouraged the dolphins to swin along side the boat.

In total it took 4 hours to get there (including customs and a stop for snacks). You have to pay 50dhs to enter Oman, this time of year there's not that many people crossing the border (where we did -Tibat), so customs was a fairly quick process.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:56 pm