Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Smoking banned in Qatar bars

Smoking banned in Qatar bars

Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoking banned in Qatar bars

Edict came through last week without advance warning. Must say the bars are smelling a bit better! Some places still have terraces for smokers and the Belgian bar cleverly enclosed their semi-outdoor area and added a/c and of course 95% of the people in the bar were in that area

Will Dubai ever follow suit?
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smoking banned in Qatar bars

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Edict came through last week without advance warning. Must say the bars are smelling a bit better! Some places still have terraces for smokers and the Belgian bar cleverly enclosed their semi-outdoor area and added a/c and of course 95% of the people in the bar were in that area

Will Dubai ever follow suit?
It took them two attempts to ban it in the malls. I would love it if they did as i hate coming home stinking of smoke
Old Aug 13th 2018, 8:40 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Thats not fair to the smokers as I am sure most smokers will tell you, that you cant have a cold one without some smoke.
There ought to be legitimate smoker's bars where everyone is welcome and non-smokers bars where only non-smokers can go and drink their wine
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:47 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Thats not fair to the smokers as I am sure most smokers will tell you, that you cant have a cold one without some smoke.
There ought to be legitimate smoker's bars where everyone is welcome and non-smokers bars where only non-smokers can go and drink their wine
that is a fair point from the drinker's POV, but it's not fair to the worker.

I know you can use the argument that they choose to work in that environment etc....but doesn't that apply to any health and safety stuff....
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

A good solution for all, smokers, non smokers and staff is to have an outdoor smoking area with seating, with those using this having to go inside and get their own drinks rather than table service. Only works if the bar has an outside space, of course.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 1:21 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
that is a fair point from the drinker's POV, but it's not fair to the worker.
pfft...let them eat cakes!

but that is a valid point actually
Air curtains above the bar so as to force the smokers to re-inhale their stuff again and again
But I cant come up with any solution for the poor serving staff which doesnt involve the word 'mask' in one form or the other
Their jobs are really tough and thankless imho
Old Aug 16th 2018, 9:07 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
I agree.

I also agree someone's right to smoke ends where my right not to smell the smoke begins.

The rational solution is closed off smoking areas and smoking only bars....but that would make sense so blanket bans where non-smokers can lecture smokers is the way to go.

As I recall in the UK smokers pay three times more in tax than what they cost the NHS - and usually die younger which saves the pensions and elderly care services money too. It makes no sense to discourage smoking in such conditions - the government has no business telling you what you can do to your own body as long as you are prepared to pay for the costs...which smokers do.

And in non-NHS nations they usually pay more for health insurance.

N>
Old Aug 19th 2018, 5:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

To be honest, my local doesn't allow smoking inside so it would make no difference to me.

That being said, I'm considering another cut down on the burners.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 5:37 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Almost two weeks into my trip to Thailand and Vietnam and I’ve not found a single bar that allows inside smoking even if they are virtually outside due to the open nature. Haven't missies smoking inside for a second.