British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Smoking Ban (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/smoking-ban-486814/)

Fairydust Oct 12th 2007 6:09 am

Smoking Ban

Went to Emirates Towers last night and the whole place is now non-smoking, including Scarletts and Agency - is this going to be the same everywhere?? They had posters up saying it was a Jumeirah Group policy as well as Government - I wonder then will Madinat become all non-smoking as well???

Madam Medusa Oct 12th 2007 6:15 am

Re: Smoking Ban

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 5415864)
Went to Emirates Towers last night and the whole place is now non-smoking, including Scarletts and Agency - is this going to be the same everywhere?? They had posters up saying it was a Jumeirah Group policy as well as Government - I wonder then will Madinat become all non-smoking as well???

hmmm...interesting, i bet the madinat will if it's Jumeirah group policy...

MM, xx

W10 Oct 12th 2007 8:44 am

I hope so, its such a godsend in London

Smoking in all public places is supposed to be banned by November I think - its being phased in slowly.

First it was govt offices by July, then Malls by Sept and now bars, restaurants etc

Cham128 Oct 12th 2007 9:04 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5416165)

Smoking in all public places is supposed to be banned by November I think - its being phased in slowly.

First it was govt offices by July, then Malls by Sept and now bars, restaurants etc

when i was there in june everyone kept talking about the smoking ban that was coming in...

in the uk it's actually quite nice... although so many shisha bars have closed down, and because space outside is a premium (not sure what they'll do during the winter) shisha prices have doubled/tripled. nightclubs and bars etc are all much better for it though... nothing worse than waking up with a hangover the next day smelling like a packet of used fags

Heart of gold Oct 12th 2007 11:27 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 5416165)

Somerset has been smoke free since the start of July, that includes all pubs, clubs, bars, shopping centres and restuarants and its great to go for a meal without the smell of smoke over powering the food.

missheaven Oct 12th 2007 1:00 pm

Since the smoking ban in England we smokers have become very sociable when going out of the pub for a smoke whilst huddled under umbrellas! Some posh pubs have heaters though. It's amazing the people you talk to!

Cham128 Oct 12th 2007 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by missheaven (Post 5416938)
Since the smoking ban in England we smokers have become very sociable when going out of the pub for a smoke whilst huddled under umbrellas! Some posh pubs have heaters though. It's amazing the people you talk to!

and the best part about it is... on a saturday night you can actually get to the bar because they're all outside freezing their arses off

jvr20 Oct 12th 2007 1:37 pm

great news! maybe this place isn't that backward after all!

IndieG Oct 12th 2007 2:13 pm

Yes JVR! It was fantastic, went to the MOE and actually spent the afternoon there without ending up with a splitting headache - here's to more smoke free places in Dubai!!!:)

Madam Medusa Oct 12th 2007 2:18 pm

what are they going to do about all the shisha cafes here though...? does this rule apply to them too??

MM, xx

IndieG Oct 12th 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5417172)
what are they going to do about all the shisha cafes here though...? does this rule apply to them too??

MM, xx

Interesting - no idea. If they're serious about dealing with health issues then I guess they might ban shisha smoking too......

Inselaffen Oct 12th 2007 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 5417185)
Interesting - no idea. If they're serious about dealing with health issues then I guess they might ban shisha smoking too......

they can sit outside for those! the climate is ideal most of the year!
it will be great to get home from a night and not have to immediately hit the shower to get rid of the horrible stench of fags!

jvr20 Oct 13th 2007 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5417671)
they can sit outside for those! the climate is ideal most of the year!
it will be great to get home from a night and not have to immediately hit the shower to get rid of the horrible stench of fags!

when i worked in a club in the UK one summer of uni i was made to take all my clothes off in the porch and before coming into the house... it was usually gone 4am so everyone was fast asleep :)

Madam Medusa Oct 13th 2007 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5420263)
when i worked in a club in the UK one summer of uni i was made to take all my clothes off in the porch and before coming into the house... it was usually gone 4am so everyone was fast asleep :)

and you believed them that smokey clothes was the reason...?!!

MM, xx