Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The smell of petrol..... help please....

The smell of petrol..... help please....

Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The smell of petrol..... help please....

Stupidly spilled some of the contents from my spare can onto the upholstery of my car (cloth, not leather).

Smell just won't go away........ despite cleaning it with everything I know, and even striking a match to burn off the fumes (I know, I know......)

Any advice? Anything else that can be burned to burn off the petrol fumes, so to speak....?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The smell of petrol..... help please....

sorry, no idea...but while we're on handy hints, does anyone know how to remove paint from a suede bag...?!

MM, xx
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:47 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

..use petrol,

dear lisa, dear lisa...
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it would be easier MM to just use another of your 500 or so collection!

Doubt you'll get it off, if its emulsion then you have a chance, you maybe able to have it dry cleaned, I wouldn't have thought you had much hope with gloss !
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
sorry, no idea...but while we're on handy hints, does anyone know how to remove paint from a suede bag...?!

MM, xx
Yes...by buying a new one!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Stupidly spilled some of the contents from my spare can onto the upholstery of my car (cloth, not leather).

Smell just won't go away........ despite cleaning it with everything I know, and even striking a match to burn off the fumes (I know, I know......)

Any advice? Anything else that can be burned to burn off the petrol fumes, so to speak....?

Thanks in advance.
Kim and Aggie are fab,but I dont think they have come accross that one,and I dont think bicarb will do it.
...I would love to move in and spend my days smelling it though!!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Kim and Aggie are fab,but I dont think they have come accross that one,and I dont think bicarb will do it.
I love the smell of petrol as well!! FREAKS! lol
I love going to the petrol station and smelling it as they put it in the car.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
Surely it would be easier MM to just use another of your 500 or so collection!

Doubt you'll get it off, if its emulsion then you have a chance, you maybe able to have it dry cleaned, I wouldn't have thought you had much hope with gloss !
thanks, but i only just "found" this one in the back of my cupboard yesterday and i love it...i reckon you're right, i don't think it will come off, it was kids' paint, might try the dry cleaner though...
Yes...by buying a new one!
might just have to...!

MM, xx
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Kim and Aggie???

(I just know I'm going to regret asking what they are....!!)

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 5th 2008 at 7:28 am. Reason: t... w...
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim and Aggie???

(I just know I'm going to regret asking what they are....!!)

they do a program on tv..How Clean Is Your House...basically going round cleaning houses of the most filthy disgusting bastards to ever walk the planet.
They are fab!!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:51 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.

Petrol is an oil-based product, which requires an oil-based solution, such as a degreasing detergent or agent.

Dry cleaners say theirs is the only way to go...though you can't take your car seat to the dry cleaners. You could try one of the dry cleaning products that you can spray on.

Another two products (don't know if they are in Dubai) are "Oil eater" and "Odo Ban", which are reported widely to take the smell out immediately and permanently.

If you do nothing, the smell will go away eventually!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Petrol is an oil-based product, which requires an oil-based solution, such as a degreasing detergent or agent.

Dry cleaners say theirs is the only way to go...though you can't take your car seat to the dry cleaners. You could try one of the dry cleaning products that you can spray on.

Another two products (don't know if they are in Dubai) are "Oil eater" and "Odo Ban", which are reported widely to take the smell out immediately and permanently.

If you do nothing, the smell will go away eventually!

They said that about my wife & guess what..........................still here !
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:01 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
[/B]

They said that about my wife & guess what..........................still here !
Ooh...you're in for it now...does your wife read these threads?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Very probably Mac & seen as she is 3500 miles away I don't really care, hopefully she will have forgotten about the post before she lands in Abu Dhabi !

But you know the old saying about elephants not forgetting...............
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

they do a program on tv..How Clean Is Your House...basically going round cleaning houses of the most filthy disgusting bastards to ever walk the planet.
They are fab!!
Oh THEM!!!!!!!

No wonder they are a tad overweight.........

.......... They look like they eat up all the leftovers at every house they visit..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.