British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Small business face labour shortage as migrants quit UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/small-business-face-labour-shortage-migrants-quit-uk-570921/)

Roadking Nov 3rd 2008 2:24 pm

Small business face labour shortage as migrants quit UK

Britain's small and medium enterprises (SME) community, which employs about 13.5m people and produces annual turnover of £1,440bn, is already under severe pressure as around 40 businesses a day collapse amid a seemingly inevitable recession.

The new survey will add to its woes. The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) said these are "very, very difficult times" and urged the Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee to cut interest rates by 1pc when they meet this week in order to avoid a "deep and severe recession".

The warning about migrant workers comes from research by Tenon, the accounting and business advice service, which showed that the number of businesses employing workers from abroad has more than doubled in the last two years.

In 2006 just 21pc of SMEs had non-UK workers on their books, but that figure is now 48pc – meaning that the impact of migrant workers leaving the UK could have severe implications for the economy.

With the value of sterling plummeting and the latest GDP figures showing that the UK economy shrank 0.5pc in the last quarter, 29pc of entrepreneurs are concerned that foreign employees will return home.

Andrew Jupp, Tenon's national head of tax, said a shortage of unskilled labour was "one headache that small businesses could do without", given the cost of training up UK workers to replace their departing staff. Losing employees would be a further blow to SMEs, with 280 closing every week amid a lack of credit and a downturn in demand as consumer spending is tightened.

"These are very, very difficult times," said John Wright, chairman of the FSB,

So, it's not all bad news then! :rofl:

Roadking Nov 3rd 2008 2:38 pm

Re: Small business face labour shortage as migrants quit UK

I know, I know..I'm a foreign worker but no-one said I couldn't he a hypocrite! :D

Hello.Kitty Nov 3rd 2008 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6935822)
I know, I know..I'm a foreign worker but no-one said I couldn't he a hypocrite! :D

time to simulate Dubai press:

"SMEs in GB are avoiding the recession completely, with queues of hopeful migrant workers happily oiling the wheels of the economy. "Business is booming here. It's definately a good time to invest" says Ivan, a worker from [insert baltic state here]"

typical Nov 3rd 2008 4:46 pm

I hope I can still get Żywiec and Lech in Morrisons when I visit my family ;)

Eva Nov 3rd 2008 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 6936176)
I hope I can still get Żywiec and Lech in Morrisons when I visit my family ;)

kielbasa?

typical Nov 4th 2008 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 6936270)
kielbasa?

Beers.. though I should check sausages next time!

Spugsy Nov 5th 2008 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 6935789)
Britain's small and medium enterprises (SME) community, which employs about 13.5m people and produces annual turnover of £1,440bn, is already under severe pressure as around 40 businesses a day collapse amid a seemingly inevitable recession.

The new survey will add to its woes. The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) said these are "very, very difficult times" and urged the Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee to cut interest rates by 1pc when they meet this week in order to avoid a "deep and severe recession".

The warning about migrant workers comes from research by Tenon, the accounting and business advice service, which showed that the number of businesses employing workers from abroad has more than doubled in the last two years.

In 2006 just 21pc of SMEs had non-UK workers on their books, but that figure is now 48pc – meaning that the impact of migrant workers leaving the UK could have severe implications for the economy.

With the value of sterling plummeting and the latest GDP figures showing that the UK economy shrank 0.5pc in the last quarter, 29pc of entrepreneurs are concerned that foreign employees will return home.

Andrew Jupp, Tenon's national head of tax, said a shortage of unskilled labour was "one headache that small businesses could do without", given the cost of training up UK workers to replace their departing staff. Losing employees would be a further blow to SMEs, with 280 closing every week amid a lack of credit and a downturn in demand as consumer spending is tightened.

"These are very, very difficult times," said John Wright, chairman of the FSB,

So, it's not all bad news then! :rofl:

what's wrong with foreign workers in the UK then?

Inselaffen Nov 5th 2008 7:55 am

surely if a lot of businesses go bust then there will but lots of unemployed people to replace the returning migrant workers.